Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First impressions with the 11 X 13 Deus coil...

CZconnoisseur

Well, Christmas has come for me! I finally received everything I need except the control box, and swung the Deus for the first time last night for about 2 hours around my yard and the neighbor's yard as well. Earlier this week I marked several "iffy" or broken high-tone targets with my CZ-6 with golf tees, and checked them with the Deus. I think I marked about 20 targets in all, and about 16 of them the Deus identified as iron, the other 4 turned out to be deeper copper pennies and one (almost silver!) 1965 dime. A couple of these "diggable" targets contained iron nails which seemed to throw the CZ-6 off a little bit, but not enough to totally mask the higher-conducting target.

THE GOOD:
First thing I did was air test several US coins, I know air tests have limited value but I wanted to see how this coil would stack up against the 8" CZ-6 coil. I used Program 9, which is the "Basic #2" program according to the manual and found that the Deus coil outperforms the old CZ coil only marginally depthwise. I used 8 kHz and upped the Sens to 93 - 8 kHz seems to be the smoothest operating freq around here and it also provided about 1" more depth in air over 12 and 18 kHz.
I then went out to the test garden using this same program, and I could identify only 5 out of 16 targets (the shallower ones) vs only 2 out of 16 identified with the CZ-6. The Deus saw the 8" dime faintly, but it was a clean target with no interfering trash. The trashy 8-10" nickels, dimes, and quarters were NOT seen by the Deus, but were also not seen with the CZ either - so all in all it is slightly better in depth; and with targets with a small amount of trash the Deus was able to identify them well. The Deus doesn't false on some deeper iron targets as bad as the CZ does, which is a big WIN in my book!
I was pleasantly surprised to see that the headphones give a VDI when a target is located! Must have forgotten about this, and it took a couple minutes to figure out what those numbers were for during the air test :rolleyes:

THE BAD:
EMI around here is horrendous!!! I quickly discovered that in all freqs EMI came through the headphones rather loudly, and was interfering with deeper, smaller targets. At fringe detection depths while air testing, I could hear the EMI break up the faint signals, which I know is costing me some depth. Not sure if it's the coil design or what but I will try another area today away from wires to see if that helps.
I was not thoroughly impressed by the depth capabilities while using DEUS FAST. I knew that higher reactivity and 18 kHz costs depth but the tradeoff is better separation, air testing on Deus Fast was not too promising maybe 5-6" max on a dime...I may not have much recourse here until I get the control box and go into the "expert" menus. Bottlecaps rang up around 88-91 at 8 kHz, which is about right, and after digging a few of them I could start to tell the difference between the signals - bottlecaps have a "crackly" quality to them vs copper or silver coins. I tried Deus Fast in my irony front yard and was able to find a few bits of masked non-ferrous trash that were invisible to the CZ - I still think there are a few coins below 6" that cant be seen yet but after some tweaking Im sure some will come to light :tongue:

CONCLUSION:
Will do some more fieldwork today maybe at the elem school across the street (c.1949) and try to get more of a handle on managing the EMI. I got exactly what I wanted - an upgrade from the CZ-6; and Im very happy with my purchase considering some of the obstacles already encountered. Once I get the control box, I'm sure I can coax a couple more inches of depth plus better separation of targets, and later when I get the 11" round coil, well; that's even more gravy! Will post results of today's short hunt later tonight...

I ALSO WANT TO THANK DON-IN-MASS AND JEREMY VANCE FOR THEIR INSIGHT INTO THIS VENTURE!!! MANY THANKS TO YOU GUYS FOR MAKING THIS HAPPEN!!! THE WAIT IS FINALLY OVER (until i get the 11" round coil)