Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Indian and Flat button with the Nox 800

C&RHunter

I am really liking the Nox. It is light weight and performs very well here in the NW quarter of Missouri. It goes deep and is excellent sorting out a good target from nails/trash. I have had it out 4-5 times now, mostly in farms fields where there were homes many years ago. So this past Sat. I took it out for a while to what is left of an old small town nearby. I hit a few former house sights that are now part of a farm field. On one Lot, I found the two Memorial and two wheat cents, a MO. Tax token, and other misc. copper/brass items. The other Lot had the pewter salt/pepper shaker top, the cameo broach, and an eyeball find of the really cool looking old marble. After checking out the lots, I went to an area that I have never had much success in finding anything. But a late 1890s atlas shows that a race track was once there. The area covers about 15 acres and once away from the old street, it is relatively free of trash targets. Hopefully, I have finally stumbled across a location that may produce some nice finds. I found the pocket knife, two small caliber lead balls (one fired and flattened the other a drop), an 1885 Indian cent, and the flat button with some gilt still remaining on the back. It is back marked: Scovills Double Gilt. When I got the hit on what turned out to be the pocket knife, the numbers were bouncing all over the place. I scanned around the target and the numbers continued to bounce everywhere. Once I got the target out of the ground it was easy to see why that was. There are three different metals for this one target: the remains of the steel blades, the brass sides and blade divider, as well as the pewter (?) end caps for where the bone or wood side panels had been. The machine was not lying to me and I just needed to trust it. I was using my customized settings (at this point in time) for Field 2 in 5 tones, multi freq. and with the 5 tone ranges modified for the targets and sounds that I prefer for specific targets. I have not modified the discrimination patterns yet. I have been using the CTX since 2012 and am accustomed the bins and tones that I have set on that machine. I have much more experimenting and learning with the Nox modes etc. to determine what I prefer for my personal preferences, based on type of site location and trash at those particular locations. HH

Great hunt C&R with a great write up!! Your eyeball find looks like an eyeball LOL
Laplander

Very nice relics. Has to be an exciting site to revisit. What is the mineralization like in your neck of the woods? Just wondering how the Equinox performs in mineralized ground. Something I have to contend with.

The Indian penny was bouncing 18-19 and was 5-6" deep. The soil where I have been hunting is nice black farm dirt. I believe the Nox settled on 2 with an auto ground balance. All of these items were recovered deeper than 4" or so. None of them came out in the first scoop of dirt. The Lesche knife frees up approx. 4"-5" of dirt with the first scoop. On a couple of previous hunts with the Nox, I have recovered small .22 caliber lead bullets at least 5" deep. With the dug soil being damp and forming pea and marble size clumps, those small bullets took a while to locate even after being removed from the hole.

Very nice, that area should give up additional finds. Your 1890's Altas is a good tool for research purposes, good work figuring out the race track area.

Congratulations!
Paul

C&RHunter said:
The Indian penny was bouncing 18-19 and was 5-6" deep. The soil where I have been hunting is nice black farm dirt. I believe the Nox settled on 2 with an auto ground balance. All of these items were recovered deeper than 4" or so. None of them came out in the first scoop of dirt. The Lesche knife frees up approx. 4"-5" of dirt with the first scoop. On a couple of previous hunts with the Nox, I have recovered small .22 caliber lead bullets at least 5" deep. With the dug soil being damp and forming pea and marble size clumps, those small bullets took a while to locate even after being removed from the hole.[/quote

Awesome job! I might just have to get me a Nox myself! Hearing a lot of good things about it. HH!