Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Large Cent and A Rarity - 8 Token

bigealive

Saturday morning had the year end billiards tourney... We went 2 and out... Enough said!
But did give me time to play and I have had my eye of this house near my hometown. Stopped and asked owner and she was happy to allow me to remove the metal in the yard. Along with the metal I found 13 Wheats, 5 Indians, 1 Silver Dime,
and THEN... took a Large Cent off my wish list. So it was drilled but made my day. 1851 in pretty darn good shape for my first. I was off the charts!!!! I darn near called it a day and I thought I was pulling another cent but out popped a token. But this token was no ordinary token.
Most of the time, I find Good Thunder (hometown) tokens and am always happy to pull them, but this one said Sterling Center, what, STERLING CENTER!!!! It was a town seven miles South of Good Thunder but has been gone for 100+ years. This definitely ended my day.
I cruised home and got on the phone and internet at the same time. I contacted a good friend and token collector about it and what he told me was exactly what I was hoping. It was a Rarity-8.(that means that there is only one specimen known) Now, I have the second. He immediately wanted to view it himself. I drove over and let him take a look. I was offered $200 for it on the spot. I was born at night but not last night. I am holding on to this one until I can do some more research.
Thanks for reading and happy hunting!!!! Todd

very nice finds ! that token sounds like it could be pretty valuable. good hunting.........roger

Great Finds :yo: That token is indeed a keeper. Sterling Center, gone for over 100 years?, now that sounds like a good place to detect!

Since there are now two known specimens it's probably down to a rarity-7.5 :rofl: so it was worth more before you pulled it out of the ground.

What a fab day you had! Keep us posted as to what you do with the token. I bet I would have grabbed the $200.

Chris

Totally awesome dude!:super:Congrats on the super great finds!:cheers:I love those large cents. Hey that's cool that it's got a hole in it. Those are my favorites. I've found several old coins from the 19th century with holes in them like that. I never knew that was for sewing them into their clothes for concealment back in the old days until I read Chris' article in Lost Treasure magazine.:biggrin:Happy Hunting!:)

Metal you just taught me something, too!!!! I never knew that either... thanks, todd

Wow! Thanks for the shout out and for reading my article. You just made my day!

Chris

WTG Bigealive that is awesome both the L.C. and the token!!!!:thumbup:

Hi Chris, I completely agree with you. I always wanted to pull a Large Cent but there can't be to many of them around here!!! I got real lucky. Thanks for the comments and good luck to you, Todd

Update: Was contacted by a private collector after putting pictures of the token up on a Internet Token Database. I was offered $500 but no deal I was told that it should be worth 750 - 1000. I am not hard up for cash so it will remain with me until I have had some time to think it over!!!!!

I was contacted today about the token and have agreed to meet with a gentlemen that collects Minnesota Tokens. He issued an offer of 750 dollars for the token if he finds it to be real and in acceptable shape. His actual statement was "if the pictures are real, he will have money in hand". I guess I would be crazy not to sell it?????? It is the size of a nickel and about 1/2 as thick. $750 for that???? Sure, where do I sign??? Going to meet him on Friday for supper and I hope he doesn't think I am buying!!!!! HAHA Happy Hunting, Todd

That's what good hunts are made of. I love finding old tokens. That's a great addition to add to your collection. :)

Congratulations on your large cent and the token. You were wise to hold onto it. If you were offered $200.00, you can rest assured it's worth much more. Good find and good call on the token.

Congrats, make sure you have that token in your eyesite all the time when your showing it.