Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First "O" mintmark!!! :jump:

jjaddict

Hit up an old property yesterday, original house was built in the 1870's, current property in the early teens. Very first signal that I dug, my first New Orleans mintmark Barber dime, 1903!! I only saw the reverse at first, saw the "O" and thought that I had scored my first 1800's silver, no dice, but I'm still stoked!! Also scored a nice 1913 D wheatie, my first of that year. A couple days before I picked up another slick buff at a very trashy city owned property. HH!!

:clapping:Hi jjaddict
I just looked your Barber Dime up in the 2010, or 63,d edition of the red book of U.S coins and if it grades g-4 =$4.00. v-g 8=$5.00 and f-12=$15.00 .But the value of silver has increased almost 50%-75% since2010.
so the value might be more. give me a minute and i will check my latest coin world mag. Okay the september 2011 edition says,g-4=$4.25, v-g 8=$6.00 and fine -12 is still $15.00 .
I am looking at grading pictuers in Making The Grade and your 1903-o Barber looks to be about vg-8. But congrats on that find, sooooo nice,! It is so hard to find any thing old in Maryland , as all the regulations this state has makes it almost imposible to detect any where old or historic. Even if you find some place old it is either fenced off private property or the owners are pretty ifffy on giving permission to detect on their property.ANY WAY KEEP UP THE GOOD FINDS. Man i,m jealouse!
Kevin Baltimre,MD.
B.H 505 8in. coil-Time Ranger V4 ,F4 DD.COIL, Centech pinpointer ,Lesch ground shark 36 in. & True Temper digging trowel,sore back :(
;

Thank you, and thanks for the info, I wouldn't have expected it to grade that high, I would have guessed somewhere around G4 without a comparison. I use a website "coinstudy" to check my values, but they are always lowball prices, and not very specific on the grading. It tells you what a coin dealer will pay for the coin. I was really excited at first, thought I had a decent one with the O mintmark, but that date is fairly common, oh well, I still love it.

I'm shocked to hear that you have a tough time finding the goodies in Maryland, I guess I didn't realize that the laws there were so strict on detectorists, that sucks, sorry to hear that. Some good old fashioned door knocking might be the way to go for you....Good luck!!

jjaddict said:
Thank you, and thanks for the info, I wouldn't have expected it to grade that high, I would have guessed somewhere around G4 without a comparison. I use a website "coinstudy" to check my values, but they are always lowball prices, and not very specific on the grading. It tells you what a coin dealer will pay for the coin. I was really excited at first, thought I had a decent one with the O mintmark, but that date is fairly common, oh well, I still love it.

Any time you find an Barber coin it is a great find.

John