Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First outing with my new Digger coil, a bit to learn yet I think

hotrod53

I finally got my new Digger coil out for its maiden hunt yesterday, I had limited success but I'm not discouraged. I can't help but remember when I switched from My Tesoro Toltec 100 to my Minelab 705 gold pack thinking I just wasn't onto it yet, that's probably what I have here.

I did find 2 wheats yesterday (1930 and 1945 D) and an old pocket knife. I was expecting a strong blast when I hit a coin, but that's not what I got. We hunted a site that we had hit many times before, pretty much hunted out, but it had yielded large cents, a 2 cent piece, a flying eagle cent, and a few Indians. To find anything I guess is a testament the fact that the coil works, but these targets were not gimmes or no brainer signals. I'm anxious to try it out in a site with more targets. I'm comfortable with the responses that I get from the gold pack coil, I guess I have a little bit of learning curve ahead of me.

I found that I could get a decent signal, but when I tried to pinpoint, it was gone. Could this be an indication that the target is junk?? I also found that target IDs were different at times. Again, not a real good field test not having many targets. I'm also thinking that this coil makes me more sensitive to interference from the other two detectors nearby. I was on channel 2, which I never have to use, and at one point I thought that the detector was freaking out with constant 48 high tone interference. I moved to the other side of the site and did a rebalance and channel check and I seemed to be OK again. BTW, no power lines in site.

When you said that you could not pinpoint it. Was you using the pinpoint mode??

Also, you got a new coil so your starting the learning curve all over again.....

When I got my Digger I didn't much care for it. Now it stays on more than the stock coil. ID numbers are different, but the signals are good. I think you will like it.

Mark, yes in pinpoint mode, I could pinpoint in regular mode. By that time I was on hour #5 of the hunt, had it been earlier I would have just dug everything just to see what pops up.

Bill, I agree, my hunting partners both use them with great success, I'm sure its a learning curve.

I don't use the PP feature either and for me the numbers can run a little higher than other coils I own, but it's a keeper and my go to in trashy spots. did you do a reset when you put that coil on ? from what I understand you should always reset the machine when changing coils

Hotrod, it's best not to use the PP mode because a lot of times when you find a deep coin and then go to PP mode,,, it does away.

I kind of have to disagree with some of these guys about not using pinpoint mode. I use pinpoint mode all of the time. Sure the coil is only 6" but if I'm in a place where I need to cut a nice clean plug this keeps me from digging any bigger hole than I have to.

My other reason for using pinpoint mode is when a signal is iffy I will go into pinpoint mode and find as close to the center of the target that I can get, then I'll go back into the detect mode and slowly go over the target again I end up getting a more accurate TID.

I think we all have our own techniques but I have found this to be helpful to me.

I have been using my Digger for some months now. Like you, I had difficulty getting used to it. I am now just getting good with it and it's now my go-to coil. I still question how deep it will go but I find plenty with it at 5" or so and tit really shines in trashy areas which I find a lot. Sometimes I look at a big area and I may use my 10.5 HF DD but eventually I switch to the Digger coil and just cover less ground and, besides, it seems a lot lighter.