Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Outing With The Tejon

Rainyday101

Finally had time to get the Tejon out for a quick 2 hour hunt. The location was a park I have pounded with the Silver uMax. The particular area I hunted was one I had hit from every direction with the Silver and that has produced 40's wheaties. No matter how many times I hit this area I still find coins that I have missed. I headed straight to that spot with the Tejon. Settings were sens all the way into the red with no chattiness, threshold to a slight hum, disc 1 at the back edge of foil, disc 2 just past tab, and ground balance nuetral. I checked all targets in both disc settings and started by digging all good signals in disc. 1. After a short while I was confident in the disc settings and started only digging clean signals that checked good in disc. 2. The first signal was just above a whisper and sized up like a coin. I cut a small 3" flap, folded the sod back and dug. The pinpointer did not sound off until was level with the top of the hole. Dug until the pinpointer was 2" below the ground level and gave up on the dig. At that point the pinpointer was indicating a larger target and sounded off pretty much every where at the bottom of the hole. A coin usually gives a much more isolated signal. I didn't want to leave a crater so I moved on. Dug some clad in the 4" range. I then got a good signal in disc 2 and cut plug and started digging. When the pinpointer was even with ground level I found a 68 penny. These parks are all sand with about an inch of topsoil and grass. The coins get real deep in this sandy setting. Almost all the areas I hunt are sandy as our parks are all located by the bay, river systems, and lakes.

In all a quick little hunt that produced clad and some tabs. I am really liking the dual disc. circuit on the Tejon. The depth is outsanding! The 68 penny for it's depth gave a good medium loud signal. So far I am liking what I see with the Tejon! The audio response is slightly different than the uMax series. The uMax series seem to be a more mellow sound on the coins. It's no problem with the Tejon audio, just a little time to get use to it's audio and signal interpetation. I wanted a deep detector I got it! Hopefully I can get a short hunt in this evening. Next on the list is the 5" coil and some Grey Ghost.

As far as 5" concentrics go, with my mild sandy soil, should I be looking at a concentric? From what I read on the Tesoro website, the concentric looks like the right choice for me. Any opinions on this?

Nice going. The more you use the Tejon the more you'll like it.:thumbup: The adjustable audio drives me nuts. I can't make up my mind where I want it set.:)

tabman

tabman said:
Nice going. The more you use the Tejon the more you'll like it.:thumbup: The adjustable audio drives me nuts. I can't make up my mind where I want it set.:)

tabman

For sure on that. I changed it a bunch of times and finally settled for something on the higher side!

so that 68 was 9" deep and the coil probably 1" off the grand. 10" not bad you are going to be a digging man, and probably going to find that deep stuff that no one has ever hit , this will be interesting

I am not a relic hunter or and the there are not a lot of battle fields in my area but I hunt a local park that I am sure was some kind of farm before it was a park. I have been finding a lot of bullets in the park from 8" to 11". For some reason the Tajon has a hard time passing up on a bullet, even small ones like .22cal.

It likes bullets and gold, to bad there is a lot more bullets than there is gold.:lol:

Ron in WV

kaolinwasher said:
so that 68 was 9" deep and the coil probably 1" off the grand. 10" not bad you are going to be a digging man, and probably going to find that deep stuff that no one has ever hit , this will be interesting

I had it out again last night for a couple of hours at a small promising beach that didn't produce much. I was running the disc low at foil and digging all good signals. All I can say is this thing is deeper than I could have imagined! With my mild sandy ground this detector is a dream machine. I am starting to get used to digging holes that are deeper than my ProPointer.

WV62 said:
I am not a relic hunter or and the there are not a lot of battle fields in my area but I hunt a local park that I am sure was some kind of farm before it was a park. I have been finding a lot of bullets in the park from 8" to 11". For some reason the Tajon has a hard time passing up on a bullet, even small ones like .22cal.

It likes bullets and gold, to bad there is a lot more bullets than there is gold.:lol:

Ron in WV

Ron I had a 38 brass casing that was deep and it hit loud and clear. The hole was slightly deeper than my ProPointer.

On thing that I have noticed is that some whisper signals can be small and size up like a coin, but after you get 10" down the ProPointer indicates that it is something larger. By that I mean the ProPointer is hitting in a large area in the bottom of the hole. I have had to abandon these digs because they were just tooooooo deep.

I am getting use to the coin sound. On my Silver the tone is much smoother and rounder sounding on coins. The Tejon seems a little more abrupt on the front and rear edge of the tone. Hard to describe and don't know if that make any sense, but there is a slight difference in audio between the uMax's and the Hot series. It's no big deal, you just have to get use to it.

Overall- I wanted a detector that could find deep coins- I got it!

I hear you on the slight sound difference from the Umax to the hot machines. Nothing is easier to pick up on the smoothness or roughness of a target than with the Silver Umax IMHO. Even the outlaw just doesn't seem as good in that regard. The vaquero and Tejon sound more similar on a wide variety of targets to me. I am hoping the Deleon I have on the way has audio qualities more similar to the Silver Umax.

I think, with my limited experience, you are correct in going with the Concentric
and not the Widescan, it would even give you the ability raise it slightly and narrow
the field more to really pick between the trash.
I'm definetely getting one for my Silver for those trashy spots....