Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Relic Hunt of 2014...

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

We had ideal detecting weather - in the high 60's so a couple of my detecting buddies and I headed to our tried and true relic site. It's a Buffalo Soldiers campground on an historic Texas trail that had been hunted hard for the last 20 years. Upon arrival I noticed that the mesquite was devoid of green and the open ground was barren. This presented an opportunity to pass the coil over unhunted ground. In the summer, when the mesquite is green, the rattle snakes like to rest in the shade so most hunters don't get too close. My strategy was to get right into the mesquite. On my V3i I selected the Relic Program in 3 Frequency Best Data accepting from -50 to +94, Tone ID on, 7.5 Filters and the 6X10 coil. I choose the 6X10 to be able to get between the mesquite. One of the "I" buttons has a W.G. Mintzer backmark indicating that it was produced between 1858 and 1870. The other "I" button has a backmark but I have to clean it to read it.

A word of caution: if you employ my strategy of "getting into the mesquite" make sure that you wear protective clothing. Even with a long sleeve shirt and a jacket, I bled for these finds! hahah.

Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I'd love to be able to find old buttons. Good strategy and it paid off.

Thanks Jimmy. I've dug quite a few neat relics at that site and I always get a thrill when I see one at the bottom of the hole. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Rob. You might have a chance to dig some neat relics near old Fort Lamotte in Crawford County or Cahokia in St. Clair County. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks Burlbark. You are correct - it IS one heck of a machine! And thanks for adding the meaning of "I" on the buttons. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Love relics - especially Texas Relics!

Howdy ArnieTX. I do too. This site has yielded some really nice relics including an 1851-1874 officers sword belt plate, Great Coat buttons, seated coins, Spanish silver etc. The pickens are slim now after years of pounding this site. But I'll keep going back. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Good hunt. I actually got my first Eagle Infantry button last month over in Louisiana.