Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First ring I've ever found

ShadyMechanic

Found this behind my old elementary school around the old ball fields. The school dates back to the early 40s. It has a 14k marking inside the band but it is a cheap gold ring. It did not register as a trash target, which I'll dig when it falls into the gold category. Rather it rang up just like a quarter. This leads me to believe that the 14k is very much an inexpensive gold plating. Still was fun to find, first jewelry, first ring, and first gold ( for whatever smidges of plating that are still on there.

Hope the guy who bought this originally did not get fooled into thinking it was solid 14K or a real stone...I say any ring is a good find, as even the junk ones are not regular finds...WTG!!

HH,

It may be quite old. I found one last year marked 14K, turned out to be brass. Was probably plated. After 1906 I dont think they could stamp it if it was just plated. Would have to be marked 14K EGP or something like that.

The first ring is reinforcement that your doing it right and it could happen again at any time!!..WTG...GL HH

Thanks for the encouragement everyone, I'm motivated to find a good high quality gold ring after finding this one. I need to post a pic of a "washing well" token I found late tonight just before dark. Pretty cool little item, I've never seen one before. Some sort of brass laundromat token.

Congrats! :clap: At first it gives you the same thrill as the real thing.:yikes:
It just doesn't last as long as the real thing.:thumbup:

BillF said:
It may be quite old. I found one last year marked 14K, turned out to be brass. Was probably plated. After 1906 I dont think they could stamp it if it was just plated. Would have to be marked 14K EGP or something like that.

They sure do stamp rings and chains 14k even if they aren't, nowadays.
Most of them are manufactured offshore and designed specifically to rip people off.
Some call thm flea market jewelry, and I have found a few myself.

Still a ring and still a great find... even if it isn't real gold.

Yep! :thumbup: One of these days, if you are committed/addicted to the hunt...you will find the real deal, and we will all be very happy for you!:clapping: You are in the right zone..you found what COULD have been a big gold ring, so you just stay in it...when you least expect it...BAM!
Mud

Thanks again for all the support. I intend to post a good gold find and a silver find this year. Here's the token I mentioned earlier. I can't really tell you how it got where I found it. It was in my best friend's yard where we've had countless cook outs and there have been countless coin spills. I found this amongst a coin spill that paid $1.37. You can see where I foolishly dinged the back of token digging it expecting more clad. My guess is it ended up in a friend's pocket as a penny when they received change and they dropped it.

Imagining the journey of the target is half of my excitement in the recovery of it. I found a rolled souvenir penny from Knott's Berry Farm CA in my yard. I live in NC.

Very cute token. "Washing Well". People aren't that clever these days. You are on the right track for finding you first real gold ring. There are not nearly as many lost and found as you might want to believe. Why do you suppose gold is over $1300 an ounce. Not that easy to find. In 3.5 years I have found 5 gold ring, 1 gold chan and over 180 silver rings. What's that tell you? Keep at it. You will find a gold ring, I guarantee it! Good luck, happy hunting

AT Pro, CTX 3030, MXT, Excalibur II 1000, DFX, Ace 250, lesche, Prp Pointer tons of pull tabs and 1000's of clad coins