Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Salt Water Hunt with AT Pro - Need help...

Muddyshoes

So I took my AT Pro out for my first try at the beach and salt water. I must say, despite having a decent handle on the machine so far on dry land, I was having a very hard time in salt water.

I was hunting on Lido Key on the west coast of Florida in Sarasota. The beach was very powdery white sand, which ground balanced at around 65. Other layers on the sand were more, what I would call usual beach sand which would balance at about the same. But the actual beach itself at the water line balanced at around 15. I did it many times, but 15? I wasn't sure what to expect. I reset the detector to factor defaults several times and rebalanced, and hunted both, at the factory default setting of around 80 and the "balanced" setting which was always under 20 at the water line and in the water.

I had a helluva time with falsing, and even a worse time trying to pinpoint and get consistent hits on those very narrow belltones. In pinpoint mode, signals would indicate a very wide/broad signal and I really struggled here. As for the falsing, I was careful to move the coil at the right speed and NOT arc up at the sides. I've been detecting long enough to keep a pretty consistent height and coil angle throughout the full width of my swing. I'd get a consistent belltone, but when I tried to retrieve the target, it would just disappear.

I hadn't yet dunked the AT fully underwater so I know it wasn't a water issue, and when I moved back onto dry sand, the detector would be more manageable in terms of signals, pinpointing, etc. So it appears that the problem is... Me. Does salt water just take extra time to be comfortable with?

My settings were both in Zero and Coin mode in both Pro and Standard. I tried everything. My sensitivity was down to about 7 and even 6 at times. So I don't know if it was a problem with the ground balance settings, a particularly weird sand composition, the alignment with Saturn and Neptune or some other problem. The detector itself is about 3 weeks or so old and is a newer serial number and seems to work fine on dry land and in fresh water. I'm assuming the detector is fine and it's just my not knowing how to deal with saltwater.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Oh.. and my finds for about 7 hours of searching was about $4.00 in coins, a keychain, one of those pot pipes that looks like a metal cigarette and a full coke can buried at about 14 inches which the tourists laying prone in their nearby lounge chairs took pleasure in watching me retrieve.

- Muddyshoes.

The ground balance number was correct. About 9 where I am at. A big difference between wet and dry sand isn't it? Use Pro mode zero only. Back the sensitivity down to about half way. Ground balance the unit and then back it down two more numbers manually. Iron audio definitely off. It takes a special detector to run with no problems in salt water. The AT Pro will still fuss and carry on, but it manages to do the job.

But the weirdness I was describing, does that sound like the kinds of problems that someone new to salt water hunting with the AT Pro would experience? Honestly, it was like I was brand new to the hobby again.

- Muddyshoes

I get a GB of 12 to 16 and subtract 2 in manual. Set sen at 4 to 5, 4 is a lot quieter tho. Even with the low sen I still find pull tabs at 6 plus inches and the falsing is much less.

The beach is a whole new ball game. Like I said the low ground balance numbers were correct. If your ground balance is off your pinpointing will be off. Remember to ground balance often especially between wet and dry sand. You need to do it every time you make the switch. The salt water is conductive and it can play hell with a detector. Weird stuff happens. Every once in a while my detector will go nuts at the beach. Then I realize that I'm over top of storm water pipes, or EMI from from the pier is very strong. I bet another trip to the beach would turn out different for you now. You know what to expect.

Oh yeah, I'm excited to try again with your tips. Thanks.

I don't know anything about other technologies. I guess the water-specific detectors like the Infinium, stuff from Fisher and the Minelab water detectors use Pulse Induction or something? Curious what the difference is between PI detectors and VLF or whatever these land-detectors are in terms of how they behave in a saltwater environment. But then again, I need to recoup some of my money and finally invest in a good water scoop before buying yet another box.

Thanks for the tips... Can't wait to find my pirate chest o' gold. I already have a parrot.

- Muddyshoes.