Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Seated!

dmckee17

Well, I normally just read everybodys posts and admire their finds but yesterday (8/23) I found one thats been on my wishlist for a while. Living in a late 1800's city (B'ham, Al) where the 1880 total population was 3,000 people you just don't dig a ton of oldies. Sure I've dug a fair number of later Indians and Barber coins but anything earlier is tough. Yesterday the odds finally hit, After work I decided to stop by a trashy spot I hunted a couple years ago with my Tesoro (at that time I found a few rotten zincs and typical urban trash) and try my luck. First I found a couple early wheats, cruised on and dug a couple 1940's wheats, some 1970's cents, screw caps, etc. Then got a faint but diggable high tone, dug about 5 Inch deep plug and the tone sounded better but still in the hole, scooped couple more inches of dirt from hole and there lay a "dime" diameter coin. I couldn't tell which dime it was till I got home and rinsed it off. I could'nt believe it!! An 1886 Seated Dime!!! sure... its thin and the reverse is nearly slick but what a beauty!!! Total digs: 6 wheats 1909 oldest, Seated Dime, 7 memorials & zincs. Time spent: 90 minutes. I rubbed it very gently on a piece of paper on the table to clean the higher areas, brings out the contrast.

Booyah, nice one to get off the list!

Congrats on your first seated ! :clap:

If you think a town of 3000 in the 1880's is tough hunting. The town I live in was not incorporated until 1906 and there is still only 600+ souls living here

n/t