Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Set Of Batteries Review Of The MX5

Hombre

Ok Guys and Gals,

...I can usually tell if I'm going to click with a new detector in the first few hours of operation. I have over 15 hours on my MX5 and with only one bar of battery used, I'm really liking it. It is a battery miser.... I have never owned any of the MXT series, so I was not prepared for the raspy threshold and sparky behavior. I have owned and operated White's models with threshold in the Disc. mode, like the XLT... 6000 Pro XL....and the great 5900CB and they are the smooth threshold kings. The MX5 is just a different animal, it tugs at it's leash to be cut loose. It is really neat to open up the Disc. mode to to accept all metal with all notches in. The trick to make the no reject discrimination in coin mode work well is to use the 2 tone option like the MXT does in the Relic Mode or so I've heard, never used one. Regardless.... the 2 tone with all metal accept works for me in my soil, your mileage may vary with this detector in your soil though. As a footnote, I will use Single Tone with the first three iron segments notched out when the iron gets too heavy and it actually out performs the 2 tone setting.

...I've been hunting some iron infested areas and to tackle that problem, I have been using the excellent 5.3 Eclipse coil, you can really slow waltz with this coil in the iron. The 2 tone all metal accept lets you hear every bit of iron in the ground and every wrinkle in the soil matrix with soft and some not so soft Low tones. It is the High Tone signals mixed with iron low tones that really wake you up. Do a little coil wiggle over the target to stabilize the VDI numbers to check it out. I dug 2 silver dimes in that same scenario, about 4 to 5 inches deep in some real nasty dirt, silver Rosie came in nice and clear high tone and read upper 70's on the VDI numbers with the high tone Merc coming in at a reading of 80 to 81. These high tone signals were surrounded in low tones, I am impressed. I have also found a lot of clad and wheat backs too, some relics also that are mostly junk, aluminum screw caps, tabs and the usual junk. No Nails!!!! But she will High Tone on the big iron and call it good, a little coil technique will sort them out. I will dig them in the right spot, with other detectors I have found antique pistols this way. You can tell it's big iron after opening up the hole and sticking your coil in the hole and she is still squealing big time. Big iron or coin cache, you be the judge.

Favorite Setting for medium iron:> Disc. all metal accept...Tones: Two tone....Target Volume: 80....Threshold: 17.... VCO Pinpoint: ON....

Favorite Setting for heavy iron:> Disc. First thee iron segments notched out (-95 thru and up to -10). Tones: One Tone.. the rest is same as above.

Short report on the MX5 with no pics:thumbdown:

PS:::: The MX5 is really light weight when using the 6½" 5.3 Eclipse coil so watch that you do not sweep it too fast.

Randy, well spoken review. This detector is one of my favorites and Whites should be commended for producing this type of detector in this price range. What are your opinions of the auto track function? Many people don't like the idea of not being able to disable it, but in my opinion, it works without any flaws. Turn it on, pump the coil a couple of times over clean ground and start detecting. Forget the pumping and start detecting is the other option. Either way, high performance without high programming. Keep us informed and have a great fall season.

RLOH,

You asked about the Auto-track function, well, I have used the XLT and DFX without disabling the Auto-Trac and had no problems with them. The only detector that I disable the Auto-Trac is with my 6000 Pro XL, I establish the highest Signal Balance setting for a particular site, then use the Auto-Trac to establish a good ground balance then "Lock" the setting. The 6000 Pro XL or renamed XL Pro has a slower Auto-Trac than the XLT or DFX and just does not keep up with changing ground. The MX5 Auto-Trac seems to be fast acting and Has not tracked out my detected non-ferrous targets intermingled with small iron so far.

Howdy Gang...

There has been a lot of discussion on the various forums about the true weight of the MX5. Some people believe that the manual is correct at 3 pounds and 9 ounces and others believe that it is more like 3.9 lbs. Well....those figures are way off and White's is very conservative with 3lbs. 9oz. Today I had to drop off a couple of Snap-On torque wrenches to a gauge and lab shop for calibration, I asked if they could weigh my MX5 on their highly accurate digital scale. They of coarse agreed since I am a paying customer for them.

Results with batteries installed, scale is accurate to 1/10 grain:

MX5 with stock coil (no cover) = 3.43686 pounds or 54.9896 ounces

MX5 with 6½" 5.3 Eclipse coil (no cover) = 3.3732 pounds or 53.9711 ounces

Just for giggles, I weighed the 8 batteries and they were 6.5287 ounces or .40806 pounds

I just knew it was about this weight, now this lab test proves it....I will be adding on to this post as I get more time in with it, I'm having a blast with this little powerhouse.

Randy,

I knew you would appreciate the MX5. My MXT All-Pro is still my #1 all purpose detector, but the MX5 is often my first-grab detector out of my vehicle to hunt or check any site. If a devoted detectorist learns and knows the benefits of some decent performing analog based detectors, like the Bandido II µMAX and Classic ID which also ride along in my van, it makes it easy to really like the MXT 'family' of detectors. I do feel the MXT All-Pro and M6 have a little more of what I refer to as "an analog/digital blend" in their audio performance, but the MX5 comes very close to the MXT's performance overall.

With my MXT All-Pro I will usually hunt in the Relic mode and use the 2-Tone audio, and should I use any Discrimination, it is only enough to just barely knock out iron nails. As you've learned, the MX5 can handle that task by rejecting the first 3 of 4 Iron TID/Discrimination segments. As you read before and we discussed, I use only iron nail rejection OR accept everything, and prefer to use the 2-Tone audio ID probably 90% of the time, at least.

Yes, White's is conservative about the detector weight they list, and also about the Battery Life, for the MX5 and most other models they produce today. My MXT All-Pro also way out-lasts the suggested run-time on the MXT All-Pro. I use quality alkaline batteries and my MX5 and MXT All-Pro never fail to amaze me with their operating time on a quality set.

Keep enjoying your MX5 as I am sure it will continue to reward you with desired finds. An excellent value of function, features and performance ..... and in a 'simple' to operate package. Thanks for adding your in-the-field experiences about the MX5.

Monte

Same here Hombre, atleast 15 hours and still on first set of batteries, still showing full strenth. I have not used the back light yet. I am running the Eclipse DD Shooter and it also does great picking out coins. Small foil can be right beside a coin and still pulls it out no problem. Picked up a small gold ring 5 to 6 inches deep with a solid 8-10 vdi. More I use the MX5 more I love it.

you going to be hunting? What types of sites will you be working? What detector(s) do you own now or have used in the past? What optional search coil would you want to add to the MX5's stock 9" spider Concentric coil to add versatility to your planned hunt conditions?

3bet said:
i have been considering an mx5... going with f70 or GBP I think though.
WYY!! You have been thinking about an MX5 but now you think you'll go with one of two other brand models that are still somewhat different in what they each offer.

I use five field test scenarios when I evaluate any detector, then I put them to the test afield in the types of sites I hunt that are more challenging than average. There is no such thing as a 'perfect' metal detector [size=small](although some come close)[/size], so I select the detectors I want to own and keep in my regular carry detector battery. It's based on knowing what their strengths and limitations are, and knowing just how well their performance can apply to the site conditions where I plan to hunt.

If you've worked with the models you're referring to, or if you know they types of hunt site challenges you'll deal with, then just get what you want. I would personally be interested in hearing what you are after and the types of locations you hunt, and then the manner you use to select the detector of choice for your hunting needs. I always like to know how folks reason out their detector choices. I also like to know how they think a detector choice works for them afield, and the coil selected.

What made you consider an MX5?

What is it about the F70 that caught your attention?

How did the GBP fit into your detector selection list?

Curious,

Monte