Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

first silver coin of 2017 is a nice surprise

larbear

I went Saturday to search a sports field at a high school. The same school where I found the silver washer ? This time I was searching the football field and adjacent areas. I had searched some of this area last fall, but wanted to revisit it and search a few smaller areas that I hadn't searched before.

Right off the bat I saw that the vdi display on my F70 was giving me lower numbers than it usually does. I dug a 65 target expecting to recover a zinc cent and it was a clad dime. Then I dug a 75 target and recovered a quarter, normally that would be a clad dime. I was not sure what was causing the lower numbers, but I had come to dig most targets anyway regardless of what the vdi said. I was hoping to recover some gold, that was why I was digging almost all targets, had iron notched out.

The first hour or so was OK, I was digging some clad and some trash targets. I did recover the track and field medal, which evidently is base metal or pot metal, as it is deteriorating in a few spots.

I made my way past the end zone and crossed the track to search a grassy area. Recovered 4 or 5 clad dimes one right after the other. Then I got another signal that sounded just like the dimes I had just dug. Flipped the plug over and was looking at the rim of a large size coin about 2 inches down. It was almost perfectly vertical, had just a slight tilt to it. Picked it up to look at it thinking that it was probably a Mexican peso coin or british half crown. Then I realized what I had was a WL half dollar ! I saw that I had managed to nick it in a few places with my digger. Darn it ! But heck, its a Walker ! Those don't come around very often. I could read that the date was 1938 which I was happy about. So many of the WL's found seem to be from the 40's.

I was really surprised to find the big silver. I hadn't found any silver coins before at this site. Heck, I hadn't even found a wheatie yet at this site. And then out pops this Walker! Such a nice surprise !

Hunted for another hour or so, found some more clad and the junk ring. After a couple of hours, decided to call it a day as it was too cold and windy to stay any longer.

After I got home and cleaned up my finds, I googled walking liberty half dollars and discovered that the D mint mark is the more rare for the year 1938. Nice ! I was sure sorry that I had scratched it, but was still very happy to have found it.

As they say, you never know what might be under the coil.

It's always a surprise when you find lots of modern clad and all of a sudden an old silver coin pops out. There must be more silver in there somewhere. You seemed to have found a site that has not been pounded, at least not in a while. That's a fine looking silver coin !

WOW! That's a super nice find right there larbear, I'm with dfmike on there's got to be more silver in there and I'd be headed back as soon as I could get there. I've only found one liberty walking in my life, lots of folks have never found any so we are lucky to be in that club.

Congrats on the WL half, for us here that is a real trophy.

Ron in WV

Hey guys, thanks for the comments. I will return to that area soon. Winter has temporarily returned, once that is done, I am on it.

That's a fine looking silver coin. congrats.

Awesome, never dug one of those.