Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time fooled by gray silver in 693 pulls

marcomo

I've dug numerous silvers with varying degrees of gray/black discoloration, but there was always at least a glint of white or enough difference from the brown/reddish brown of clad to give me that initial hunch of silver.

Last Saturday I pulled this dime shaped object out of the ground and immediately thought clad. When I looked a little closer though, even without my cheaters, it vaguely looked like the design was different than either side of a Rosie and my second thought was a foreign coin. Then I looked closer and was pleasantly surprised to see the familiar olive branch and fasces of the Mercury dime reverse.

I kind of like the different way it looks with full discoloration, especially compared to other partially discolored silvers like the pictured Washington quarter I dug in the same area.

I found slightly darkened silver but never like this. From the photo it almost looks like old copper. Nice.

I've gotten that gray tarnish, discoloration or whatever you call it off the coin using various methods. But it leaves the coin with a terrible washed out look.

Yep, I have found a few like that too. Always seem to come from under areas that had cement over them in the past. I dont know exactly what it is, but the coins look like trash after you clean it off. Very rough. I would try rubbing it between your fingers with some damp baking soda until you get the results you want, just know it probably won't ever look "nice".

That's interesting, Jason. I never thought about cement as a possible culprit, I'll pay attention in the future.

Yup, you've got to watch that. Here is one I found that is completely gray. I still haven't done anything but run water on it.

Numismatists might turn up their noses, but I think that is a stunning high grade coin! Almost surely dropped no later than a year or two past 1877.

Southwind said:
Yup, you've got to watch that. Here is one I found that is completely gray. I still haven't done anything but run water on it.

OMG that makes me want to cry! That would be an MS graded coin when it was dropped. Such perfect detail on it but its dead for collector value.