Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First Time out with Deus and got an Indian

Mtcooley

I got out this afternoon after work behind my house to try my new Deus out. It is a farm field and always has been as far as I know. I was in the stock relic program and getting mostly iron signals when I got a nice solid signal. I dug down only about 4 to 5 inches and in a clump of red clay out popped a 1903 holed indian head. That is not only my first coin with the Deus but my first indian head period! I have been over the same ground many times with the etrac. Any tips on cleaning it?

Great find!

Be very careful on cleaning it if at all, many an IH was destroyed by cleaning. I would use simple soap and water and run with your fingers.

Jim

That's awesome for the first time out with a new machine. Congrats on the find. I have yet to find an Indian head, but I will!
Keep at it, and good luck!
Rich

Great first coin and find! I find a LOT of Wheaties that are this crusty - the soap and water trick works well but for the more stubborn copper coins I use soap, wter, and a brass-bristled brush. Doesn't scratch the patina but is good at removing the dirt and some of the softer copper compunds. Keep at it and I'm sure you'll find more!

Great start to your relationship with a great detector . . . . . an Inidan is always a great find and to be your first coin is even better.

Try soaking the coin in a small dish of olive oil - it will taje a few days to get noticeable results but it won't impact the coin and it will leave teh coloration. Anything fast tends to damage to coin.

Let us see some before and after pictures.

Again great find hope you have more to come keep us posted

Andy

Mtcooley, why are you looking to sell your Deus already? After that first hunt, I thought you seemed pretty happy? Obviously you don't owe us an answer, but just curious.
Rich

samandnoah said:
Mtcooley, why are you looking to sell your Deus already? After that first hunt, I thought you seemed pretty happy? Obviously you don't owe us an answer, but just curious.
Rich

I just am a little overwhelmed by the settings. I may have jumped into trading it to quickly. I have decided to keep it. I just have always used minelab got a little worried about switching. I decided I am going to stick it out with the Deus and learn it. It does give a better repeatable signal in my option on signals. Sorry, guys for doubting the Deus. Mike

It will drive you a bit crazy after coming from an E-trac. It can seem overwhelming, but if you take a look at the factory program settings side by side, you'll notice there really isn't too much difference in setting changes from one to the next. Take notice of what these adjustments are and there are only a small handful that you really need to worry about. It will definitely make it less daunting to become proficient with the machine. I also believe that people get hung up on the Target ID numbers due to having experience with other machines. Find sound tones that will easily alert you to what the Targets Identification might be (i.e.. silver, nickels, copper) and then pay attention to the sound instead of what the readout says.

DukeOBass said:
It will drive you a bit crazy after coming from an E-trac. It can seem overwhelming, but if you take a look at the factory program settings side by side, you'll notice there really isn't too much difference in setting changes from one to the next. Take notice of what these adjustments are and there are only a small handful that you really need to worry about. It will definitely make it less daunting to become proficient with the machine. I also believe that people get hung up on the Target ID numbers due to having experience with other machines. Find sound tones that will easily alert you to what the Targets Identification might be (i.e.. silver, nickels, copper) and then pay attention to the sound instead of what the readout says.

Okay, that is good advice. Thanks.