Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First time out with the AT Pro

StephenA

My first outing with the AT produced a 1962 quarter two pennies and a nickel. All in my front yard. I actually posted this to ask. I am getting signals (all in factory mode) the hit once then gone. I go back over the area and hit it again when I go slowly. It seems this machine requires a very slow sweep speed. Do you find this the case? The reason I sold my minelab detectors was the speed in which you have to hunt with them. I realize I probably have a lot to learn with the AT but am a bit disturbed by the vanishing signals, the false high signals on large targets and aluminum can buried eight plus inches.
I am not going to throw this in the ditch at this point but would like some input.
Thanks in advance.

The AT Pro has a very fast recovery speed, and the swing can be slowed down, real slow to the speed of a Super Cub for fishing in the trash. I am at lost what your referring to as "factory mode" :shrug:..I am assuming you are referring to the Standard Mode......the AT Pro is at it's max speed IMHO in Pro Mode zero. Surely you hunted that ML in the front yard too......and you found a [size=x-large]Silver Quarter[/size]:inlove: on your first hunt with the At Pro:yikes:

The AT will high signal on an aluminium can buried at 8 inches and will at 16 inches in a sand volleyball court too.......don't ask me how I know. Your reference to "the false high signals on large targets and aluminum can buried eight plus inches" But of course these aren't false signals so I am again confused :shrug:

If you were in Standard Mode say coin, if you were swinging real fast and reversed your swing, you could have set yourself up for false bell tones as described.

HH
QH

Hello,

There are lots of ways to set up your machine for basic hunting. I suggest that you visit the Garrett web site and check out the videos. They arent too long, so they arent boring. You can set up your machine as they did, it might be easier than reading the manual. I did both, I read the booklet cover to cover and watched and compared the videos to what I was doing. It really helped me a lot.

Practice, practice, practice. GROUND BALANCE. Use the machine in the CUSTOM mode, IRON Audio ON. Discriminate at 35-40. You can go very slow with this machine, it defines signals very well, sometimes you can hear what might be a coin next to trash. You need to decide to dig or not to dig. Dig. You never know until you find out. I seldom dig cans anymore, but I know that on occasion I may be missing something good, so I dig them anyway.

You can turn your sensitivity up or down to match the terrain or to better listen to a signal. Try settings, change things, listen, and you will understand. Alter directions and scan speed on a target.
Listen for repeatable signals.

Really, thats the best I can tell you. Take your time, learn to use the IRON AUDIO to its full effect. Its a great feature.

One more thing that makes a huge difference... make a test garden with coins and jewelry. You will not be sorry.

Jesse

Yup...check out these sites:

http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/garrettdetectors

HH,

I think your in standard mode that is why you think you have to swing slow and are getting what you perceive as false hits or maybe mineralization giving a hit once in a while so it's making you go to a crawl trying to find what isn't there. Like the others said go to PRO mode and try one of those modes like COINS that comes with some descrimination, or CUSTOM with no descrimination 9 add or remove what you want) that will remember your settings when you turn the machine off and they will still be there for you when you turn it on the next time or ZERO which has no descrimination. I set mine to CUSTOM ran the iron up to35- 40 left the IRON audio OFF and it cut down on all the low iron hits and falses everything from 40 on up is open for signals. Run your sensitivity 1-4 bars from wide open and GROUND ballance before starting and your good to go.

YES YOU CAN sweep fairly briskly at about 3-4 seconds end to end on your sweeps after you've learned what is a good hit and what is a falsing or mineral hit took me a bit to learn my ears for a solid hit BUT IT CAN be swept very slowly with just your wrist movement over targets and in trash with this coil and it will hit and seperate really well on the targets too. SO it depends on whether your in clean soil with little targets faster sweep, or trashy soil with lots of targets slow sweep, and or the new 5x8 coil coming out soom. I want one of those myself will be a bit lighter too.

Hope this helps some of your concerns and possiable misconceptions so you will enjoy your AT-PRO and find great things to post on here. I think you should have kept the Minelab too as I have an E-Trac also and a couple of other machines all for different reasons for detecting. I got the AT-PRO because it's waterproof for rain and beach hunting and the 15kh frequency for different sensitivity to different objects and the fast processing of signals in PRO mode.

EtracTom-AdirondacksNY said:
The new 5x8 coil coming out soom. I want one of those myself will be a bit lighter too.
quote]

You'll not believe how light the AT Pro/Gold is with the 5 x 8 DD, compared to the big 81/2 x 11 DD, its like driving a Subaru home, when your used to driving a MACK TRUCK at work all day...:rofl: The guys with bad shoulders and elbows won't be complaining about swinging the 5 x8.

HH
QH

Thank you for all the advice. I did mean Standard Mode in my post. I will check out the videos tonight. I have not taken the time to learn the set up as I rushed out with factory settings. The Minelab Explorer did not miss the silver quarter....I did, that is certain. You know what they say, no matter how much a place is hunter things just keep showing up. I think I will like the AT when I get used to it. I will keep monitoring this site and let you all know how it goes. I really appreciate the comments and advice.
StephenA