Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First to silvers of the new year

Been going low and slow at the spot I have been detecting since late September. Had 5 to 6 inches of snow over the weekend but very warm rain and temps the past few days in Massachusetts has melted it all away! Phew!!!! Got the fish scale yesterday and the Seated dime today. Using the X705, 9inch CC stock coil, Sens at 27 with tracking on in Disc pattern 1 with 48 accepted . These settings seem to work for me. Not a lot of noise at all. Happy New Year all and Happy Hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emmett:usaflag:

Depth was about 4 inch range on both, id on the fish scale was 28 to 32 and the dime was 38/40. Sound was medium and pretty steady back and forth. I knew that it was probably something decent. All typical stats on both coins for depth, id and sound with he stock coil.

Those fish scales are hard to come by even in Canada. It takes a good detector to find them at depth since they are so small and wafer thin. It's a pity the date is non recoverable. These were made out of silver from 1858 to 1921 then changed to nickel. Since yours features queen Victoria it was made between 1858-1901 and according to my book, since the contour of the piece just above the crown is thick (more recent ones were changed to a thin contour with more space between it and the crown) the coin's date is between 1858-1870. Actually the book doesn't mention any dates between 1858 and 1870 so It's possible none were minted between those dates. A super cool and old .925 silver piece.

There was a lot of hand to hand trade between USA and Canadian citizens back in the day. I found a spot not too far away from me with many century old pennies from the USA among all the recent Canadian clad. Did you find anything else in Canadian silver at that spot ?

Me thinks there must be Canadian silver quarters and dimes there. I'd put your 3 kHz coil on the 705 and do the area thoroughly and any area around it.

By the way, I just found this site. There was no CAD 5 cents between 1858 and 1870 so yours is one or the other. If you find one in good to fine condition, the value can be substantial as you can see here:

http://www.coinsandcanada.com/coins-prices.php?canadian_coins=5-cents-1858-1901