Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First trip out detecting with the Infinium

jester429

Hello all, just bought myself an Infinuim for my bday. Main idea was for nugget shooting in washington state. I took it out today found 3 very large, hand made spikes, a few nails, a lot of bullets and shells, 2 batteries one for a watch, and a penny! Oh yeah and a hot rock. I was using an 8" mono zero discrimination and about 4 on the threshold. One thing I noticed is the detector was talking a lot even when It wasn't moving or when the coil was up in the air. It wasn't the steady background noise I was expecting. I tried to get rid of it by ground balancing the unit as well as running it in slow. I also turned up the disc, but the random beeping continued. Not quite sure what to make of it.

Any advice?

Also this is my first detector since I was very young

Thanks

Jess

Jess

Go to the Garrett web site. Watch all Infinium videos. Read the book that came with it or download one from Garrett site. Than take book with you hunting. It is a puzzle, but after about 500-1000 dug targets you will know that machine a lot better. I went thru this and believe me it's a great machine. Just takes time.
Danser

Seriously though, aside from the fact that you assume I did not read the instructions or watch the video... I have a problem with false signals on my detector. I can't get them to ground balance out. They don't go away with discrimination. They don't go away with freq adjust. I can turn down the threshold but then I won't hear the really quiet stuff deep down.

I have checked the connections. All are good. I have checked the batteries. All new and fully charged. I have ensured the cable leading to the coil is wrapped tightly to the shift and secured to prevent movement.

It appears others have had this problem but I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

Why am I getting false signals when the detector is in a clean area and NOT moving?

Please advise.

Jess

Jess, did you try changing coils to the 10x14DD? If so did you have the same problem? Also, have you tried using the Infinium in a different location? Were there other detectors operating near you? Were there power lines or an electric fence within 100 yards of where you were hunting? There are many things that can cause falsing.

I did try the stock coil with same results. Used it in 4 different areas with differing soil conditions and there were no power lines anywhere near by. I called garrett to talk to tech support but the lady that answered the phone said she had heard of this happening and that I needed to send it in to be replaced. Didn't get any details as to what the cause of actual issue was as she wasn't the tech support agent but I am getting a new detector sent to me...what ever it is garrett seems to be aware of it.

I was going to tell you to call Garrett if you tried all I mentioned above. I have heard of the Infinium having some internal issues on rare occasions. They should hook you up with a good fix. They are pretty good about that. You bought a beast of a machine for a first detector. It has a very steep learning curve. But, it is very powerful and if you stick with it and learn what it is telling you, you will be rewarded. I can almost guarantee it.

Didn't mean that you didn't read the book or watch the videos Jester. I had to several times over. It's challenging enough if your detector is working right. Let us know how the replacement works out.

I own an Infinium and a rookie but dont thave those problems at all. I remember once I had something like that after purchasing a mono coil and was all excited to try it out and forgot to ground balance after changing out the coils. It made a lot of chatter at first but did the ground balance and it calmed down. I use it to detect the beaches here on the Oregon Coast. Garrett will get it right for you. They have an excellent service dept.

I know I am a few months late on this topic, but the cable of the coil needs to be reasonably tight on the Infinium or it will give you quiet false signals, especially when you get to full extension.

Just a thought.

Cheers.