Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First trip to the farm with the new Relic

Silver Pirate

I finally had a chance to get out to my new permission - a 20 acre farm dating back to early 1800's. The owner told me that on the very ground his current house is on there used to stand a 2-story Antebellum home, complete with big white columns and all. Across the river is where their cotton fields were. Armed with my new Relic, with the 5' coil mounted, I spend 4 hours just searching the front and side of the current house. I will need soooo many trips back to even make a dent in what is available. After the old house was burned down by the Yankees on their way to Canton MS, there was a saw mill that was built and stood till about 50 years ago. So, needless to say, there was tons of iron bits and pieces everywhere. That little 5" coil was great in such a trashy location. My 10x5 concentric arrived a day too late to try it out, but maybe next trip

My settings varied through the day, but it was mostly set up as such:

Mode: Di3
IDMask: 25
Iron Vol: 0
Sense: 85-95
Imask: 0
Tone Break: 65
Coil: 5"

Any advice to the settings would be greatly appreciated.

Found: The abundant pulltabs, screw cap, 2 dog rabies tags, other unidentified bits. That coiled up piece next to the Captains bars is stamped 7174. The Capt. bars has a hallmark (3) on the back. "N.S. Meyer, Inc New York" and 2 raised shields. One with Meyer logo, and the other with a "9" over "M" on a shield. A visit to the US Militaria Forum confirmed it to be from Mid 1950's. So that was pretty cool.

Also a pic of the new coil, and 2 pics of me so that you will know who I am, one is with the Tesoro Outlaw.

Nice finds Captain !!..

I'm just headed out the door after I post this to hit Walmart, go grab breakfast at Carl's Jr., then be ready for daylight to get some detecting in. My Relic w/5" DD is already loaded on my back seat along with my CoRe and two other daily-travel units, but when I get home I'll refer to my saved settings and get back on here about how I have my main-use Relic set up.

I use smaller coils most of the time on most any detector I own, and have done so since '71 because I hunt trashier sites. I enjoy the 5" on the Relic and it has rewarded me well at most any site I hunt. Just take your time and work an area with a slow and methodical coverage, overlapping as we should, and over time you'll be more impressed with the performance from both the Relic and that coil. In a more open area with fewer and more spaced targets the new 5½X10 Concentric coil is going to work fine for you, too.

The Relic has a default lower-end fixed break-point in Di3 of '20' which is your Ferrous/Non-Ferrous break and I like to run the ID Mask [size=small](aka Discrimination)[/size] at '05' so I am set just below iron nail rejection to hear most iron present. I then have my Iron Audio Volume set at '01' or '02', depending upon the headphones I am using, so that I am made aware if I have encounter iron. With the Low Iron Volume I can hear it but it doesn't annoy me. That lets me be aware there is iron and I can work the coil around that offender to maybe get a hit on a partially-masked keeper. Too much Discrimination and we can miss some desired targets so I always run my Disc. as low as I can tolerate.

It sounds like your permission will offer a lot of search area so I wish you the best of success on future visits.

Monte

Looks like you had a fun first outing Silver.
You will find after a few more hours of strolling behind the Relic it will start talking to you. I find the "language" of this unit to be pretty easy to grow accustomed to, & I expect you will too.
Keep doing a lot of digging and when you hear those sharp cutoff ,and broken tones dig them anyway for a couple of hunts and see what surfaces, then run your coil over the hole again to see if anything is still hiding down there, there can be some masked good targets.
I have always found that strong repeatable signals with a close spread of VDI #'s are the most worth digging,check the VDI numbers and keep them in your head.
Try to make an educated guess as to what the target is then dig it, and see what comes up.
Practice this for a good number of hunting trips and pretty soon you will have a good idea as to what to skip over and what to dedicate more analysis to, certain targets you will just automatically know to dig.
I think your choice of the Di3 program was a wise one, I would suggest you stick with Di3 for a while, say 10 hunts, and try Monte's settings in that program.
Adjust from there for your site and preference.
By the time you finish "dirt fishing" that 20 acres you will be giving us advice!:detecting::usan:

Sorry for the delay but I've either been detecting :thumbup: or side-tracked with chores and medical issues.:thumbdown:

Here are the FORS Relic settings I have saved for my two devices:

Common Functions with all search modes:

Volume .. '20'
Brightness .. '20'
Frequency .. '03' [size=small](Gray scale at factory Default.)[/size]
Cm/Inch .. in.
Language .. EN
Tracking .. '0' for 'Off'

Individual Search Mode settings:

GEN [size=small](All Metal)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '85'
Threshold .. '55'

Di2 [size=small](2-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '95'
ID Mask [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] .. '05'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '20'
iMASK .. '01'

Di3 [size=small](3-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '99'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '65'
iMASK .. '01'

COG [size=small](Beach, 2-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '90'
ID Mask [size=small](Discrimination)[/size] .. '20'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '20'
iMASK .. '01'

Di2 [size=small](2-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '95'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '20'
iMASK .. '01'

DEP [size=small](Deep, 2-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '90'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '20'
iMASK .. '01'

SWT [size=small](Swift, 2-Tone)[/size]:
Sensitivity .. '85'
Iron Volume .. '02'
Tone Break .. '20'
iMASK .. '01'

As you can see, there isn't a lot of difference between the various modes. Mainly Sensitivity, and I determined the 'average' or 'typical' higher Sensitivity setting I normally use for the sites I hunt using the different search modes. I decided back in the early '70s that I generally preferred to start out with a Sensitivity [size=small](Gain with some brands)[/size] setting as high as tolerable and not too unsteady or bothered by EMI. I prefer to start high and reduce it only should there be enough EMI to cause instability, and adjustment on these models is easy.

Also, as I stated, I have 2 Relic devices and I use my primary unit with the 5" round DD coil the most because I am generally working in dense trash and confined spaces. I have that 'Saved' to start-up in the Di3 three-tone mode. My 2nd Relic I have the open-frame 5X9½ DD coil attached and I use it for more open areas that have fewer and more spaced apart targets. That device I have Saved to start-out in the Di-2 two-tone mode.

These are my settings for the sites I hunt and the coils I use the most. It might give you a starting reference point for how you set up your Relic for your sites and needs.

Monte

I think you'll like the gold+ concentric coil. I enjoy mine. With there were more concentric options for the relic, but happy to have it.

Thanks for taking the time to post this Monte. I really appreciate it. I have been rather busy lately and haven't had time to thank you. Hopefully this week I will be able to get in the woods and try out these programs.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
I think you'll like the gold+ concentric coil. I enjoy mine. With there were more concentric options for the relic, but happy to have it.

Thanks. I ordered a scuff guard for it, but it is on backorder. I plan to get out this week and test that coil.