Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First V-Nick n OK token

jjaddict

Finds from my last couple hunts, hitting up some city owned properties. The V-nickel is my first, a 1908, pretty crusty, but I'll take it, came from a sidewalk tearout. Also picked up my first OK tax token, they come out of the ground looking a little better than the MO zinc ones. Getting pretty dry and hot here again, might be a while before I can really get back to it. HH!!

:usmc:

It is amazing to me that after all the years metal detectors have been around, that there are still some old coins to be found. Back in early Idaho, much of the buying and selling was done by IOU's or simply bartering or trading. Very little coin or paper currency exchanged hands like back east. My few oldest coins though were never found in cities or by houses but were up in canyons or in the mountains. One place on an old geological map referred to as a cow camp, I pulled from the well used dirt road coming into the old camp area, a V nickle, I believe an 1888. Not a coin but kind of the same scenario, I found my first 1860's US Army uniform button out in the sticks where an old two rut road had been graded full width. The button was unhurt and in the dirt berm to the edge. What I have found here in Idaho is, there is not a place I've been so far, that I could not find something. Here in the area of Idaho I'm at now though, has been less productive as far as old coins. The one and only I have found here in over 4 years was a Wheat and it was in an old dirt turn out along the old Hwy. 95 or back then what was called the North South Highway.

We only cooled for a day after being a 100 to a 108 for several days and looks like the weekend will be in the high 90's so I'm not wanting to drench my headphones in sweat. It has been so hot this summer, I've done very little detecting.

Yeah, the hunting gets harder and harder, I imagine, as the years go by and as the technology increases. Thats why it's important to find good virgin soil, like private properties and places that have been impossible to detect, ie. sidewalk tearouts. Thank goodness the goodies are still out there though. Hope there are still treasures to be found when my boy gets old enough to start hunting with his papa. I wish we had the gold around here like you do, I would love to do some panning, probably a good thing we don't, I don't need another hobby/addiction. :) HH