Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First vintage headstamp

JoeVal

Got out yesterday from noon till 3:00 and hunted a new section of a very large park. The ground was frozen where there was no grass, but the areas with grass were just a little crunchy to dig in.

Found ring #7. The stone is cracked and the band was very mangled, but it’s sterling and I was able to open it up enough for a picture. The Saint Andrew medallion is also sterling.

The odd find was this 10ga headstamp from the 20’s. It was right next to the third base fence line. Not sure if it was brought in with fill dirt, or churned up from the old farm that occupied this large city park. This ball diamond is all fill, as the entire park (farm) slopes from south to north, and is the highest of the six ball diamonds on the site. Guess we will never know, but it’s still interesting for the area.

Only four copper pennies this trip, and no nickels. Every solid nickel signal returned as a piece of can slaw. Really unusual, as I can usually get one or two when the TID is solid and unwavering. I guess that’s what makes this hobby joyful and frustrating.

The sun just came out, so if Mama doesn’t have anything planned for us when she gets back from the gym, I’ll try to get back there and hunt some more before the ground freezes. It’s 29F, but there’s no wind. Same as yesterday.

Only18 days before we head to Florida for a couple weeks of fishing and beach detecting. It will be nice to detect in the warmth of Cape Coral and SW Florida. I plan to detect some rest areas on our way down when we take breaks from driving. Don’t know if that’s legal along the interstates, but as they say, "It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!"

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Those ball diamonds are real tricky. Especially out in the burbs. Congrats on the bit of silver. :thumbup: Those 10 ga. are pretty rare. But I'd bet farm well before any parks were put in. I found an old wormed out Sharps in a three year old soccer field last year and those fields were built right on top of old farm land without much regrading. Right next to a railroad line that was established in 1864. The place was full of bullets, a few wheats and headstamps, all from the 20's and 30's. Good luck on your next time out.

Nice finds and good write up. Good luck today n Fla.

Nice finds JoeVal! It's always good to dig silver, of any type. I hope that you find some gold in Florida! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel