Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

First weekend with my new Excal.

After reading posts in here for awhile,I had to pick up an Excalibur 1000. Reading all the advice from Mike(Va.beach) I took a whack at it Sat. afternoon at a soundside fishing beach.Found 3 sinkers, 3 bottle caps, 3 pull tabs, a dime and a penny.
I had the privilege today to go with some very experienced surf hunters(Roger and Ray), and managed to get a 10K fat class ring, sterling necklace w/religous medal,silver earring and a plated ring. Along with that found a bunch of clad and fishing sinkers. I tried to post pics but my camera won't take 'em any smaller and they don't fit. Even used Mike's windows resize program, no luck.
Anyway I'm completely stoked and wanted to Thank everyone here who has posted tips and info.
Thanks,
Parkerized

Hi Norm,
Guess I need to get that aluminum welding kit now , so I can build a monster scoop and save some bucks to help pay for this awesome machine.
Thanks for the welding info too.
Parkerized
p.s. Now to make a straight shaft and a scoop.

Hey, that great...first gold on the 2nd time out. Congrats!

As for the resize program, I've usually not had any problem getting the pics to fit at 800 x 600 but sometimes you need to go to 640 x 480. They need to be 120KB or less to fit the forum. You do realize that when you use that program it makes a COPY of the original and appends the word "small" to it, right? Which usually puts it at the bottom of the folder. So maybe what you're doing is resizing the picture and then trying to attach the original un-resized picture, which of course won't fit, since it hasn't actually been changed at all. That would be about the only thing I could think of. See if this helps you...

[size=large]In this first shot, I'm choosing to resize "Summer Booty.jpg",
Which is 284KB and will not fit on the forum.
[/size]
[attachment 37298 Step1.jpg]

[size=large]In this shot, I've done the resize...notice it's in the lower right corner.
It's now 78KB and will fit on the forum.
[/size]
[attachment 37299 Step2.jpg]

Hi Finn55cats,
I checked those out, that's definitely my preference of what I found available. But I'm one of those step over a dollar to pick up a dime kinda guys when it comes to something I can make.
Hey Mike,
I think ya nailed it with using the original pic.You da man. I'm gonna try'em right here.
I used your settings and the silicone trick, keep the great ideas coming. Tonight I made a plastic arm to fit over the pinpoint knob so I can flip it with one hand without letting go of the handle, we'll see how this works tomorrow.

[attachment 37309 IMG_0654Small.JPG]
That's the earring on the back of the weight.

[attachment 37311 IMG_0652Small.JPG]

Hey man, looks like you're doing great. I see BIG gold in your future. The nickel count is good, the little steel ring, the chain and crusty pennies...you're digging the right types of sounds. I have no doubt that when you pass over that killer diamond ring that you will find it.

As for the pinpoint switch trick, that's pretty clever. And while it sounds like it might work, I would discourage it. Reason being is wear and tear on the switch. To me it's more of an ALL METAL switch than a pinpoint switch. And because of the way that the Excal hits targets and the long tone, it's really easy to pinpoint with it in ID mode and not use the pinpoint switch at all. That's the way all Excal hunters I ever saw do it. That switch is useless to me...I've never used it other than to try it. With very little practice you won't need it. But whatever works for you, do it.

By the end of today I was using it less, but when I did it just kinda erked me.Your prolly right, I should just learn it right and not mess with it. I can pop the lever off, it just slides on. Another problem I saw with it was I could throw it with the headphone cable by mistake.
I've got to be in Va beach tuesday afternoon for a doctor's appt. and might swing by the oceanfront, maybe I'll have a chance to meet some of y'all.
Thanks
Parkerized

Yeah, you'll get the hang of it without the pinpoint. Sometimes the targets are so plentiful out there that using it would be a major pain in the butt.

I'm off tomorrow and may do some detecting but Tuesday it's back to the old grindstone for me. If you're close to the beach though, we'll definitely see you sometime.

Yep,
First go 'round on the beach. Definitely beginners luck and some great guidance from some experienced 'old salts".And yep I'm ruined.
Parkerized

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx