Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher 1200's and Confusion About Coils For Them

MarkCZ

Seems it keeps coming up,
Any coil that fits any 1200 fits them all! (Not True from the research I've done)
The 1200 series 5"x10" is a double DD coil! (Not from the research I've done)

First the question about one coil fits all.
Seems that they are actually two different groups of 1200's with each group using a different coil,
The 1220 and the 1260's use a different coil than the other 1200's.
The other 1200's like the 1265, 1266, 1235, 1236, 1270, ect uses the other coil.
The difference between the two styles of coils are in the connector. The 1220 and the 1260's connector has male pins, while the coils for the other 1200's has female pins. (source for the information about two different coil styles came from Keith at East Texas detectors and if my memory serves me right the two odds ones were the 1220 and the 1260???)

Now, some people are even getting a little huffy over the 5"x10" elliptical coil. For some reason the idea has gotten around that the coil is a DD coil and not a concentric coil. From the research I've done and my brother (WV62) and both of us has one of the 5"x10" coils, they are not a DD design!. Up until now its been a little hard to prove but a product review of the 1266 was found on the Internet and the time it was done Fisher had just released the New 5"x10" coil, so the write up included some information about the new coil. Below is a copy and paste from that review.

Internet quote"December said:
A NEW TYPE OF COIL

Just recently, Fisher released a new 5 by 10 inch elliptical accessory searchcoil for use with their 1200-X series metal detectors. It is a concentric, coplanar design solidly encapsulated in a lightweight epoxy and is completely waterproof it has a very thin profile, yet is solidly durable!

The concentric coil design maintains excellent sensitivity and discrimination, while the elliptical electro-magnetic search pattern enables it to cover more ground per sweep and eases scanning in tight, confined areas. Another advantage of the elliptical design is its enhanced see-through ability to get between targets, ferreting out good targets amid trash.

I can personally vouch for the effectiveness of the extra ground coverage, as it has proven itself to me many times in the field. Some detectorists may not think a few more inches of ground coverage per sweep makes much difference...but it does! Remember one thing...you cant detect it if your coil doesnt go over it! Missing a target by an inch or two has the same effect as missing it by a mile its left in the ground for the next detectorist to find!

Fishers new elliptical coil is available with either a 3 foot or a 7 foot cable and is compatible with the 1225, 1235, 1265 and 1266-X detectors. The suggested list price is $95.

I hope this clears up a little of the confusion about the different coils and the confusion about the "believed to be" 5"x10" DD" coil.

Below is the link to the rest of the article that had the 5"x10" coil information in it, its really a good read!

http://www.losttreasure.com/content/archives/fisher-research-1266-x-metal-detector

Mark

100% correct on your coil info Mark. KUDO..................

It's very hard to find now, but I use it on the 1270 all the time & it runs well in the red clays of VA.
I wish it was a DD, but your right it's not.....but still nice...
HH,
Bill

There is also a difference in the lower rod to coil connections on the earlier 1200 series detectors. Earlier detectors used a metal screw with white v shaped knobs to hold the coils on. On the later detectors they used the 1/4" nylon bolt and wing nut to hold the coils on.
I bought a 11" coil with the smaller holes in the coil for my 1266x and just carefully opend the holes up on the coil with a 1/4" drill bit and it worked fine.