Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher 1236

jerry reed

I recently purchased a 1236 x2 because of the lifetime warranty.It seems to have the same depth
as my Fisher 1225.Can I expect more depth from a ID Excel than the 1236 x2. Thanks JR

Jerry,

What sensitivity setting are you using? Both of the 1236's I had got there best depth with the sensitivity set to where you could hear a background noise start to come thru. If I remember correctly it was close to 9 on the dial.

Tom

Tom, I set the sensitivity as high as possible without shatter.I'm really asking if the new ID
EXCEL has better depth than the 1236 as I would like to purchase one because of the lite weight.

JR

I would be curious about this Myself.
I have always been a Fisher fan and have used a Fisher 1220-X for almost 20 years now.
I know it is a simple looking turn on and go machine and I get laughed at frequently for using it because it looks so simple and toy like.
It does however have great depth. I believe it has the same basic circuitry as the newer models and there has been no significant improvement as far as depth on Fisher machines since the early 1200 series detectors came out. The only real difference between My old 1220 and the newer machines are weight and certain bells and whistles that My old 1220 does not have.
I have a test plot in My yard and have tested friends 1260's and 1266's as well as the 1236 and there is no significant depth increase in any of the newer models over My old 1220-X. They do however have a lot of neat features that the 1220 lacks and they are features that could come in very handy but My budget prohibits Me from buying a newer model even though I would like some of the newer features.
I have heard however that the 1270 does actually have greater depth than the other 1200 series machines but I have never had one to test on My test plot so I can't say with certainty. That that is true.
I have been very happy with the 1220's depth and have the cans full of coins to prove it. Outside of the neat features of the 1236 like silent search etc I don't believe there is any advantage in the depth department however.
One thing I have found on My old 1220-X is that the discrimination does reduce depth to some degree and the more discrimination I use the more depth I lose as well.
What I have done with quite a lot of success is run with no discrimination and listen for very faint but smooth solid signals. I then check with the discriminator. If it disappears its probably a good target and means its fairly deep.(Deeper than I can reach with the discriminator on). On louder signals. I check and if they become broken they are likely junk.
I know this doesn't answer Your question very well but The depth of all the 1200 series I have experimented with even back to the old 1220 has been very similar. If this newer model is an improvement I would like to know about it.

Dave is correct on every thing he said about the 1200's, I own a 1270 and enjoy it very much, I have talked to two different tech's at Fisher and they will tell you that there is not much difference from machine to machine. Just a few more bells and whistles! The last tech I talked to told me that there was not even much difference from the 1270 and the I-D's. Would like to here from some of the 1270 users.

with the 10.5" coil is without a doubt one of the deepest machines on coins I have ever used. I use a ML Advantage also and have to put on the detech 12.5" coil to keep up on depth. The DD coil does sneak out a few of the deeper coins down in iron that the 10.5" won't see but as far as overall depth its hard to beat the 1270 and it is very sensitive to small lead and gold as well.

I used a 1236 for a couple years until the 1270 came out and found it to be good to about 8" max on coins in my ground when digging the whisper signals, The 1270 goes much deeper.

For maximum depth on the 1236 turn the sensitivity up until you start to hear a low somewhat steady threshold/chatter type sound. Those deep whisper signals will break thru and still be heard and the higher sensitivity setting does add depth. I suggest keeping the volume out of the boost zone when cranking up the sensitivity so that you can key on the distinctive sound of the deeper targets.

HH Tom

Jerry.

I don't have a lot of hours on the Excel yet but here's my impression so far compared to the 1236. These are based on what I remember about the 1236 which was a few years ago but I did put a ton of hours on it pretty much using the dig it all philosophy.

Depth, not definitive yet but the Excel seems to be an inch or so deeper overall in my ground. The good part is that you have the tone ID and higher disc settings do not lose depth. As you know raising the disc on the 1236 above nickel will knock out the deeper dimes and copper penneys. I actually used that to my benefit on ID'ing the deeper targets. If I heard that smooth whisper of a deep target I would slowly raise the disc setting and if it went quiet at just over 6 or so I would dig and it was always a wheatie or dime or something similar. With the ID Excel you do not have to go thru that because it ID's very well to nearly its maximum depth in most conditions!

Sweep speed, Here's where the Excel ahem, Excels. You can sweep it nearly as fast as the older White's (but more like the newer 6000 XL Pro) and get maximum depth and VERY good target seperation in trashy areas. Signal processing is done in the digital domain just like on the Coinstrike and it is lightning fast so you don't have to worry about missing many co-located targets that other machines blank out on using a faster sweep. Of course in trashy areas a slow sweep gives the best seperation of targets where max depth isn't important.

Deep iron. The Excel handles it well, but be forewarned a deep coin near trash or iron give a similar repsonse. When you get a faint high tone that the ID bounces you have to base your dig no dig decision of that repeatability of the signal. The less bouncing you see when centered exactly over the target the better. Deep rotting tin/iron will bounce all over no matter what but a good target will be somewhat steady in ID and tone and of course pinpoint better.

My opinion so far is that the Excel is an excellent tool that is very versatile and is definitely a step up over the 1236 in overall performance with tone ID to boot.

HH Tom