Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher 1270 vs Tesoro Vaquero.

Hey all, been wanting to try out a 1270 and was curious of a few things. I had a Vaquero which I liked a lot but one thing I didn't like is that on deep coins the signal became somewhat choppy and it kind of sounded like a slightly disc'd out target. I also had a Fisher 1236 and while not as deep as the Vaquero, the audio seemed much better than the Vaquero, coins always sounded nice, round and smooth. So I was thinking that maybe the 1270 would be the best of both worlds...nice and deep like the Vaquero, with great audio responses like the 1236. I strictly hunt for old copper/silver coins. I was thinking that maybe the 1270 with sniper coil, real slow, would be a good old coin finder. Any opinions or thoughts? Thanks fellers. -Jay

My brother can tell you more about the 1270 than I can, even though I also have one but I've not got the chance to get it out on a real hunt yet. Now, I did have a Vaquero for a short period and it wasn't long before I found that running it real deep required super tuning it, doing that it didn't disc out iron very well at all. I traded it for a Tejon.

What I can tell you about the 1270 is its much heavier that the "V".
And if you talking about the 3.75" sniper coil your going to lose some depth for sure. Also, you have to be careful about which sniper coil you get, the older ones with the smaller gray cable will not work on the 1270. Now, the later version for the 1266 with the larger black cable well work.

Now,
I've never owned an E-trac but my co-worker has owned a couple of them, and I know for a fact that your specific older copper and silver coil hunting is the E-trac's claim to fame!! but! they're also heavy, and costly.

I'm sure my brother will see your post here and drop by after while.

Mark

Hey Mark, actually I was talking about the 5 inch coil, I was unaware that you could even get a 3.75" coil for it...lol I use a CZ-70Pro right now and have owned 3 Coinstrikes so I don't think the weight issue should be too bad. I've always wanted to try a 1270, seems like a pure work horse. My two hunting partners both use E-Tracs and I can honestly say I don't know what all the fuss is about. I have never seen them get coins that I couldn't have gotten with my Coinstrikes or CZ. I just don't see any evidence to warrant spending so much on one. Deep coins here are about 6-7 inches deep. If you can get them you're not missing much. -Jay

The 1200 coils are a little odd in which ones fit what.
Early one, we thought all the 1200 coils (except the 1220 and the 1260) would interchange, then my brother bought a couple of 1265 coils to use on his 1270 just to find out they would work (one of them was the little 3.75")

The twist to this is the 1265 coils worked on my 1266, then he tried a little 3.75" coil that I had for my 1266 on his 1270 and it worked great. The difference in these two coils were,
The 1265 coil has the smaller gray cable and uses a smaller dia mounting bolt.
The 1266 coil I have has a larger black cable and uses the later larger mounting bolt.

Coils that we've found to work on the 1270,
Any 1266 larger black cable ones,
10.5" spider coils.
5"x 10" elliptical these are a bit hard to find and were made for the 1266. my brother so far has deemed this the best All-round coil.
8" spider coils (standard)
5" larger black cable ones.
3.75" larger black cable ones. I used to call this one the flower pot coil search coil, its tiny for sure. On my 1266 it actually gets very good depth, and its more sensitive to smaller gold items than the larger coils, but ground covering is worthless.

Mark

Fisher 1270 vs Tesoro Vaquero. thats easy minlab quattro :rofl: the 1270 is a good md but the vaquero is designed as an all-around detector, able to do just about everything

Haha....I had a Quattro and the recovery speed was like molasses in winter. I don't jewelry hunt so the higher frequency doesn't do much for me. I like the frequency and the build quality of the 1270. I still don't understand why they call it a relic detector at that frequency.

If I was going to for sure hunt ball fields, and parks for jewelry then between the two I would probably take the Vaquero! but for DEEP coins and to stay away from the small iron the choice would be the 1270.
I had a Vaquero, deep coins and you'll be digging as many nails as coins. That's why I went for the Tejon.

I have the same idea for the 1270, High Disc, old copper & silver coins.
The Tejon I got for jewelry.
The 1270 frequency will hit better on silver than the Tejon, the Tejon will hit better on gold.

Mark

Well my little brother MarkCZ warned you I may show on your thread.:lol:

The 1270 holds a good spot for the deep coin hunters, I kind of gave mine a title silver blaster. The depth doesn't seem to be affected with higher disc setting, but I like to run a little under max or just above a zinc penny. I even got rid of a F75Ltd that I felt didn't do as well on silver as the 1270 does. Now I don't relic hunt but I don't have any doubts that the 1270 is top of the line.

Now where I am at with the 1270 is I don't have a lot of new areas to hunt and the silver seems to have dried up in my old hunting spots. So I have been looking more at jewelry hunting and the 1270 I don't feel is very good for that type of hunting. I am looking at a couple of other detectors for the jewelry.

If you go with a 1270 I think the 5x10 will replace the need for a 5", and 8" coil if you can find one. If you got some real heavy trash the little 3.75" may help out there, I am looking for one right now. Then if things are kind of clean and you need more depth you will need 10.5". If you are going to do any water hunting, you will need a spider type coil, the others will float on you and make it a little hard to keep on the bottom.

I you haven't already seen my 1270 post you may want to take a look at the info I posted there.

The 1270 a real nice machine.

Ron in WV

Well, I'm thinking we might as well make good use of the classic forum, it looks like we pretty much have it all to ourselves.

We should invite shooter over here.

Mark

Thanks for the response Ron. I'm just a big fan of the Fisher classics in general. I think they're some of the best detectors made that may or may not have gotten as much respect as they deserve. The issue I'm having now is debating on keeping my CZ-70 pro or trading it for a 1270. Wish I could have both. I might be able to swing it to have both, we'll have to see when taxes get here. For now I'll keep reading all the Fisher Classic posts on this forum. -Jay

MarkCZ said:
Well, I'm thinking we might as well make good use of the classic forum, it looks like we pretty much have it all to ourselves.

We should invite shooter over here.

Mark

I agree, we need to keep it going.

Yep shooter is the man when it comes to the 1270.

MichiganJason if you have other questions about the 1270 post them we can try to answer them.

Ron in WV

Big Brother, you might want to mention about the control housing mount on some of the 1270's.

Mark

No problem, here goes complete with picture.
The 1270 had a couple of design problems, a minor one was the the battery doors don't have the best fit and some have been lost. The other problem is the control box can break off at the top of the handle. I got my machine used and it had that problem and some others, I had to send it in for repairs and they done some kind of modification to correct the control box problem. You can see the added rivets in the control box on each side of the handle.

Just something you may want to check out if you are looking at a used one. I know it is hard to believe but there are people out there that will rip you off.

Ron in WV

Wow, Hopefully I don't have that issue when I get my 1270. Well, I suppose they would repair it if it does happen. Surprised they didn't find a solution to that design flaw before releasing it to the public. -Jay

I am not sure what if anything was done at the factory in the later model machines. My brother Mark has a 1270 and it has no sign of the mod made to mine at the factory. Also he has no signs of the problem yet. He says he is going to be easy when hooking and unhooking coils and head phone cables.

Ron in WV

The 1270 actually looks rather robust. All the classic Fishers I've owned were built to last. Much different than the F-Series that they produce these days that seem like flimsy toys. Apparently even though the 1270 is discontinued, you can still buy them new so that's probably what I'll do. I can't wait to take the 1270 in the woods where I live. We found lots of deep copper indian artifacts in this area. Awls, spear points, arrowheads, axe heads...etc. I think the 1270 will be killer on them. -Jay

I believe that First Texas became aware of the problem and designed a "KIT" they install when one comes in with problems. And keep in mind that unless its under warranty the repair isn't free and I don't believe its cheap either.

Mark.

MichiganJason said:
Thanks for the response Ron. I'm just a big fan of the Fisher classics in general. I think they're some of the best detectors made that may or may not have gotten as much respect as they deserve. The issue I'm having now is debating on keeping my CZ-70 pro or trading it for a 1270. Wish I could have both. I might be able to swing it to have both, we'll have to see when taxes get here. For now I'll keep reading all the Fisher Classic posts on this forum. -Jay

I had an F2 and it felt kind-a flimsy, but the Omega I have has a nice light feel but seems to have pretty good build quality, I wouldn't call it cheap or flimsy at all.

Mark

One thing I'm curious about that maybe you fine fella's could help me understand is the Iron Disc mode...I don't really understand how it differs from regular standard mode. I mean you turn the disc up slightly in Normal mode and it will gradually knock out Iron so what is the purpose of having the Iron Disc mode if you can Disc iron in the Normal mode? Thanks guys. -Jay

Maybe cheap wasn't the right word, but compared to the ruggedness of the Classic Fishers it seems much more fragile. I owned 2 Omega's myself and my sister swings an F2. -Jay