Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher CZ 70 pro or Minelab quattro mp for first detector

yogaguy

Hi everyone. I am interested in hearing what detectorists have to say about the Fisher CZ 70 Pro and the Minelab Quatrro MP. I am trying to decide on a really good "all-purpose" detector. I will be mostly searching large open grass fields and plowed fields up on my uncle's farm. I'm not sure of the mineral content there, but I know he still plants corn. I would like something that automatically ground balances itself as you detect, so I don't have to constantly readjust for soil variances. I have been told to pretty much hunt in "all-metal" mode also, because of the possibility of old relics and other stuff. I don't mind digging everything anyhow, so I would'nt mind using all-metal. My biggest problem is deciding on this "multiple frequency" thing that seems to be catching on with other models today. The Minelab I was told uses 28 different frequencies. I don't really understand what that means as far as detecting goes, but I was told it offers superior depth over single and dual frequency models, and that you will find more with them. But I also read that Minelab is pretty heavy to use as a unit, and that it will take some time to really learn all the "singing" that goes on with them in the fields. Taking the time really isn't an issue with me. I will take the time to learn anything. I just want to make the best decision for the conditions I mentioned above. I will mostly be in lare fields, with occasional old home site searching. I like what I have heard about the Fisher CZ Pro, but it is only a dual frequency model. So I would appreciate any suggestions from people that may have used both detectors, and what they felt about them and their depths and so forth. Thank-you. Randy

Both are good machines. I believe the Quattro has auto GB and the 70 doesn't. I haven't used a Quattro but have used the Exp XS and Exp II. If the mineralization is moderate to low and it's not heavy in iron trash the 70 is my pick. Also if ease of use is important definately the 70. Minelab's are good in iron but I've had little trouble in iron with my CZ's. Comparing depth between the two depends on who you ask and what soil they're in. The number of frequencies doesn't make any difference that I can tell, mostly a marketing ploy ( I guess it worked I bought one).
Both are goood machines and you would be happy with either one I think. I've said it before, if I could have only one.... CZ70.
HH and Goodluck, Joe

I believe the cz70Pro would be a best choice for a first detector.

Its got most of all you will need , and is extremely user friendly.

Depth , good target separation, easy to recognize tones for different target categories, choice of different coils available , can be hip or shoulder bag mounted, works great at the beaches fresh or salt water. Easy to ground balance and check balance during operation.
Audio boost if wanted . The Minelab is a good detector but I think it would throw you a curve in the way of learning to use it I don't think for a first timer in the hobby metal detecting would be as much enjoyment as the cz. Maybe once you have learned all the basics and really think you can't get any more from a top detector like a cz then going to the harder to learn detectors would be the next step.

HH

Dan R.

Thank's Dan and Joe for the excellent advice and suggestions. I guess I would go with the CZ Pro, but I think I would really like a machine that automatically ground balances itself as you hunt. I have heard of the large learning curve too that you speak of, but I would'nt mind taking the time to really learn it if it's well worth it. Thank's again. Randy

I think most posters have covered it well..Being a newbie the user friendly attributes and lifetime warranty would make it a perfect choice( CZ70 pro).....Quattro although a easier unit to control than a Explorer still has a learning period and double D coils take a bit to master when pinpointing..Weighting and ergonomics also comes into play with the CZ70 Pro being easier to handle and for that matter hipmountable...Its your call but I can remember way back when I started and one doesn't want it to be any harder lest it lays in a closet.

Plus a major factor that you shouldn't overlook is:

1. Lifetime warranty on CZ70 VS I believe its 2 years on the Quattro

2. CZ70 is splash & rain proof VS Quattro, which its not

3. The CZ70 is hip mountable for all day huntin VS Quattro, which its not

4. The Quattro is a little heavier then the CZ70

I might be a little prejudice because I'm a Fisher fan. I have all Fishers. And like Kyjoe, if I could only have one detector, it would be a CZ70pro hands down.

Good luck,
Mike

It will be one of the easier learning curves to do.

Ground balancing and also keeping in check is very easy. The ground balance control has a preset mark for most average ground but for real fine tuning then and extra good depth and id accuracy of targets you can really fine tune the gb once you have a little time under your belt with the detector.

After a very short while you will wonder how come, there is a fuss about learning to ground balance. The cz is pretty good just being on the preset mark without worrying about ground balance until you have fun using the detector as sort of like a turn on and go detector with a factory preset ground balance.

HH

Dan R.