Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher CZ Vs Tesoro Tejon

jimz49

Has anyone compared a CZ(5, 6, etc) with a Tesoro Tejon (or even Vaquero) and what were your conclusions, thoughts? I have a CZ and I'm considering buying one of the Tesoro units for a couple reasons: New unit, Lifetime warranty, Less weight, quick recovery speed and deep seeking. My questions are: Am I gaining much, if anything in the depth department? Are both brands comparable in recovery speed? I believe the Tesoro units are lighter without question. Is there an edge one has over the other that I'm not considering? Always interesting to discuss and get other's opinions.

I do not own a Tejon……yet.However I have compared my CZ's to my Vaquero in my test garden.My deepest CZ will hit a 12" dime (in my test bed) with a repeatable high tone.The Vaquero knows something is there but the signal is questionable,very broken tone.The Vaquero is hands down a lighter detector however I just chest or hip mount my CZ's and they will then be lighter than the Vaquero.The V holds its own and will always be a part of my arsenal.

And that is quite an arsenal you have there! I had a Tejon and Vaquero for a short time. Bottom line in my ground couldn't touch a CZ on depth no matter what coin.

Harold said:
And that is quite an arsenal you have there! I had a Tejon and Vaquero for a short time. Bottom line in my ground couldn't touch a CZ on depth no matter what coin.

I couldn't agree more Harold.Ive said it many times and I stand by it.Coil for coil every detector I have or had has never matched the depth of the CZ's in my ground on any coin.

jimz49 said:
My questions are: Am I gaining much, if anything in the depth department?
Are both brands comparable in recovery speed?
Is there an edge one has over the other that I'm not considering?

Jim,
My questions are: Am I gaining much, if anything in the depth department?
No. It's a dirty little secret of the metal detecting industry that (regardless of marketing ads) maximum VLF detection depth hasn't made any real improvement for 20 years now. It's just physics.
The improvements we're seeing today, have to do more with adjacent target separation...the ability to hunt in/through iron...TID at depth...better ergonomics...more efficient smaller coils...lower power requirements, etc.

Are both brands comparable in recovery speed?
A qualified "no".
Qualified because of your implied/real question, which is more properly stated "How does the CZ do in trash?".
The CZ is actually a very fast machine, but it tends to err on the side of 'dig me'...especially in damp iron trash.
So it can either null in iron or false more than the Tesoros...which (the Tesoros) are famous for spotting the goodies 'between' the iron with a minimum of nulling/falsing.
***Please note though; I tend to find more coins with the CZ's than with any other detector I've got...which is to say that recovery speed isn't everything.
(It does, however, depend on where/how you hunt...see below.)

Is there an edge one has over the other that I'm not considering?
The Tesoro is better for hunting in iron trash/nails...like perhaps a ghost town or an older torn/burnt down building.
Hunting for relics (or even coins) in a nail filled ghost town, and the Tejon will probably eat the CZ for lunch.
Hunting for coins in a relatively iron-trash-free park, and the CZ will probably eat the Tejon for lunch.
(It's not that the Tejon is bad, it's just that the way the CZ is set up for coin hunting is so incredibly efficient...Thank You, Dave Johnson)

In conclusion, both detectors are excellent examples of the art, but if you primarily hunt for coins in a park like setting, it's going to be really hard to find a unit better than your CZ..
HH,
mike

-- moved topic --

Isn't it amazing that no matter how much you think there's got to be something better out there......that you need to move on......the true of the matter is the CZ is a hard machine to beat. However, it's always good to get confirmation from other users of something, that deep down in you already knew or certainly suspected.

Simply put the CZ's are the cats meow.Thats why I own and use so many of them.

jimz49 said:
Has anyone compared a CZ(5, 6, etc) with a Tesoro Tejon (or even Vaquero) and what were your conclusions, thoughts? I have a CZ and I'm considering buying one of the Tesoro units for a couple reasons: New unit, Lifetime warranty, Less weight, quick recovery speed and deep seeking. My questions are: Am I gaining much, if anything in the depth department? Are both brands comparable in recovery speed? I believe the Tesoro units are lighter without question. Is there an edge one has over the other that I'm not considering? Always interesting to discuss and get other's opinions.

I've owned both but not at the same time, my conclusion is that these two machines are not ones that can actually be compared! One is metered and primarily a coin detector. The other (Tejon) is non metered (beep & dig). These two are so different that they would better compliment one another than compete.
The Tejon would better compare to something like the 1266 or 1270, not a CZ.

So, I think that a person would need to think about what he (or she) wants to primarily hunt and if the strengths of one model better suits those needs then choose that one.
In my time in the hobby I've found that if you've cut your teeth on a metered detector then its very hard to do the same type of detecting and switch to a audio only model.

Mark

Good point, and no doubt they're different in many ways. My thought was to find a detector that could go deep, sort through the trash and be approximately in the same price category. I liked the idea of a lifetime warranty and less weight. I understood that there would be compromises. Maybe I should have compared detectors like the Racer to the CZ

The depth on the CZ 5 I used to have was amazing. I would probably still have it but my arm actually collapsed infield after 6 hrs. continual use- yeah, I know- shoulda taken a break. It took months to heal. Also, the ID was divided into too wide of categories to be entirely reliable. Once you got used to an occasional iron "ping", it was incredible on depth. Finally, there comes a time where you have to sit back and ask what kind of hunting do you love to do most- average depth, target separation, variable, numeric I'd, or just raw depth with some idea of target probability. I understand a CZ model is now available with better ID separation, and if lighter- that's a look into!
Just read what poster said about coins. It WAS really set up well that way and was quite a nickel finder!

I have the CZ-7a and CZ-70 (I got the 70 so I could chest mount the control box and just have the weight of the coil on my arm, after liking the 7a , but not it's weight during long hunts) and the Tejon. I think trojdor summarized it very well. You received some other great replies as well.

The tesoros are light and have very quick recovery speed and are very good on tiny targets clear down to the size of birdshot if set up correctly. The CZ's are hard to beat on coins and the tesoros are not any deeper on coins.

If you are looking for something different, I have enjoyed the Minelab Xterra 70 because you can change the frequency by changing the coil and there are a lot of coil sizes to choose from in each frequency. It would not give you the light weight of the Tesoro line, however.

I have not tried a Makro Racer yet, but from what I have read about it and it's feature set, perhaps that would be a machine that you (and I as well!) could consider giving a go.

Harold said:

I totally agree - CZs are king when it comes to raw depth (coil size to coil size). One of my CZs (all are deep) is a Tom Certified 12.1 inch machined and of all the machines I own/have owned (over 20) nothing even comes close to the CZs. I would not be without one in my arsenal.

HH

n/t

Question, how does your Racer compare to any of the CZ's in your list?

I have a cz20/6a and a tejon,cz's deepest and way more versital.
Tejon is good in heavy iron trash with the 5.75" concentric coil,but cz with 5" is great to.
Cz's can take to saltwater beaches better than any.