Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F-22:Stock 9" Coil Vs. 11" DD

mike c.

Hi guys,
Just got back to playing with the detector again after some health issues.Was cruising A'Zon and found a Fisher 11" DD coil dirt cheap and decided to buy it for the F22.I've read many times how people seem to think DD coils are superior to the two stock concentric-ellipticals offered for the two F22 and F44 in performance, and have even read how some feel the elliptical coils are"stupid looking"-not that asthetics are important to me.

Anyway,been testing the DD and comparing it to the stock 9" coil,and frankly,I see absolutely no performance gains whatsoever with the DD coil.Air tests(worthless,I know),come out the same.Depth tests on coins I buried two years ago turned in pretty much exactly the same-I can hit an 8" clad quarter with both coils but I can forget about one at 9".Other coins turned in the same results.

False high tones are just as bad(maybe slightly less) with the DD as the stock coil.Seperation in trashy areas seems no better with the DD.

The one area that the DD seems inferior is RFI.The F22 is completely silent in my house at full gain with the stock coil-I can't say that about the DD.Outside-the stocker is quiet and the DD tends to make the detector chirp a little under the power lines.

Conclusions-MY OPINIONS-only:

1.I'm glad I only paid a fraction of retail for the new DD coil as I can't see as it does anything better than the concentric.The only advantage of keeping it on the machine is better coverage for large areas.

2.I'm guessing that it's possible my detector is not high-performance enough to demonstrate the possible gains of using a DD coil.I'm thinking that not having adjustable ground balance may be hurting performance a lot in my particular soil conditions-I don't know,I'm not really up on how these machines work.

3.Maybe the stock coil is a heck of a lot better coil than people seem to think they are.It's possible the engineers at Fisher really knew what they were doing when designing that coil and it gives all the performance the F22 is going to give.(Yes,I know the F22 is NOT a great, high-performance machine.I've been told that at least a dozen times by people who think I'm not aware of it while they lovingly fondle their E-Tracs ,NOX's,etc.)

Opinions,anyone?

I'm with you on stock coils, I believe they are the " all around" best coil for your machine, those guys at the factory match up the coil excactly to fit the detector.
Some people need specialized coils for their hunting conditions and that's where after market coils can really make a difference.

I remember trying the 11 DD on my F44 but can't remember how it fared compared to the concentric. On the F5 I can positively say that in my ground, the 11 DD was deeper than the stock concentric. Pin pointing accuracy was not as good though.

I did an air test between the two coils and got pretty much the same results as you(maybe an inch),Unfortunately, for targets in the ground,I can see no real difference.Like I said before,I'm glad I got the DD at a real bargain-basement price.