Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F- Pinpointer

It's changed the way I detect in a way. The ability to pinpoint exactly where something is accurately down to 4-5 inches makes me not mind using my hand digger over my shovel. Only thing I don't like is compared to the carrot it feels like it takes forever to turn on.

Replaced my carrot after the first side by side target. Unbelievable accuracy, good sound can hear with headphones on, strong vibration can feel through gloves, and a really bright adjustable light. Love it.

Love it.
It does take 1-2 more seconds to power up but it works great and goes quite a bit deeper than my Garrett.

Absolutely, the best pinpointer of all of the pinpointers I have owned. The TRX is close but no side detection. The PistolProbe, a PI also, might get a tad more actual depth. Pistol is so weak in audio, and it's big, and nowhere close to the build quality of the F-Pulse. The Carrot is a fine pointer, loved mine since first getting it, yet it's not as deep as the Fisher, and audio on mine has weakened. The depth it gives is really a blessing in pre-dig accuracy down to at least three solid inches. The Carrot might signal at 3, but nothing as definitive as this new Pulse.

All in all, this Fisher F-Pulse fits every facet in a pinpointer that I feel I need in a pinpointer. I love the ability to turn off the light for daytime use. These PI units do use battery power, a nature of pulse induction opposed to conventional pointers. I've only had mine for 11 days so I have no data on the claim it's good for 25 hours.

I give the F-Pulse 2 Thumbs Up!

Bought one a week ago. Love it.
Took me a few minutes to memorize the way to toggle through the settings but after a full day of using it I got into a good rhythm.
Just don't expect it to be a push n go like the traditional Garrett.
This machine is like a couple machines in one.
I run it on #3 sensitivity over the plug, then drop it down to 1 sensitivity when pointing around the whole looking for the exact location if it's deeper than 3".
It was a little overwhelming at first with all the different customization settings and only one button to do it all, but really. it's nothing after a quick trial and error session.
And I love that it uses AA batteries instead of 9v. I bought rechargeable Enelope AA's years ago for my f70 so it's way easier to condense down to one type.

I got more depth with my Garrett by wearing a silver ring. I'd let it sound off then back it of to where signal disappeared. That increased it's depth.

Thanks guys I think that you answered my question..I am a fisher person and have a lot of faith in all that they develope.....eek

Okay. So have a few more hours with this pinpointer.

The 3" depth is helpful when pinpointing objects that are actually 3" or less from the top of the soil. That is a nice way to dig a smaller plug and quicker acquisition of a target. The 3" depth isn't very helpful in the hole because the 3" pulse runs the length of the shaft, not just the tip, so the machine can pick up other less desired targets around the wall of your plug as well.

That said. A little patience and being able to cycle between 1" depth and 2" depth is great when actually in a deep hole. Helps you narrow down exactly where to do further digging and not risk nicking the target with your digging tool. 2" and you can sink the tool and pop out a pug of dirt, 1" and you know to just scratch with your fingertip. I haven't dinged a coin yet with that method.

Trailduster said:
I run it on #3 sensitivity over the plug, then drop it down to 1 sensitivity when pointing around the whole looking for the exact location if it's deeper than 3".
It was a little overwhelming at first with all the different customization settings and only one button to do it all, but really. it's nothing after a quick trial and error session.

I assumed that most people set the sensitivity and the beep/vibe mode once, and leave it there. I've had several people tell me they like to switch sensitivity on-the-fly, so I'm trying to figure out a way to do that more easily & quicker. One way is to split the beep/vibe mode off to its own "menu" so that to change sensitivity you only need to cycle through 3 settings instead of 9. I'll chew on it some more. Suggestions welcomed.

Can anyone name a major metal manufacturer where the fellow who engineered the product shows up on the forums and you can have a 2-way conversation with the guy about it? Hint: very short list.

Sadly, I had to send my F-Pulse in to El Paso on Wednesday. It experienced an issue with it going bonkers with spurious tones, and it could not be turned off. The batteries being removed was the only remedy. It then repeated the anomaly within minutes off operation.

This happened within a week of owning it, I was using Eneloop rechargeables, so after talking too CS in El Paso, I decided to test with alkaline batteries. The resting voltage if the Eneloops were 1.41V, and the breakdown began once the pointer was in the 1.36-1.38V level. I went to RayoVac AA alkaline batteries after talking to CS. Resting voltage was 1.52V, and it ran well, until this week. The same thing happened, spurious, runaway operation and the off switch became non effective again. I tested the batteries with the voltmeter once I got home, and it was into the 1.3V range again.

I just found a customer review from a retailer's site expressing the same exact behavior on their F-Pulse, so I am hoping that Fisher simply had a bad batch inter first production run. I will be very nervous if the same unit comes back, supposedly repaired. IMO, a new unit from another production run, is the proper repair in this situation.

It is simply too important to get the earliest releases of any product working 100%. Crossing my fingers.

I haven't had any crazy noise problems. But I did notice the F Pulse froze 2 or 3 times. It wouldn't turn off no matter how I pressed or held the button. So I used my lesche to loosen the battery screw till it turned off then tightened it back up again. That solved it for a while. I'd say it did that 2 or 3 times in the course of a 3 hour hunt.

I'm using Enelopes as well. Didn't have the issue when they were at full, fresh charge. This was a week later on a different hunt without recharging them in between. Could very well be a voltage issue.

Short list indeed .. I have a question.. both of my f-pulse pinpointers hate my equinox. I've went through all of the frequency shifts , I believe 16 and none help it completely. If I'm 5 ' from detector my pinpointers misbehave.. chatter, stop detecting smaller items, lose alot of sensitivity etc. But as soon as I shut off detector they start acting normal. I love how they are when detector is off, but absolutely hate both of them anywhere near my detector.. to the point of selling both and trying something else. Any suggestions??

basstrackerman said:
Short list indeed .. I have a question.. both of my f-pulse pinpointers hate my equinox. I've went through all of the frequency shifts , I believe 16 and none help it completely. If I'm 5 ' from detector my pinpointers misbehave.. chatter, stop detecting smaller items, lose alot of sensitivity etc. But as soon as I shut off detector they start acting normal. I love how they are when detector is off, but absolutely hate both of them anywhere near my detector.. to the point of selling both and trying something else. Any suggestions??

Frequency shifting is most effective when you are dealing with narrowband single frequencies; that is, a single freq main detector and a single freq pinpointer. The F-Pulse is PI, so it's a wideband design, and the Equinox is multi-freq, also wideband. That makes it a lot more difficult to find an F-Pulse frequency that won't interfere with any of the Equinox channels. With any PP it's gonna be a crapshoot, so I suggest you take the Equinox with you next time, and try out individual PPs until you find one that works.

Wow!

Clarity, honesty and technical competence. I wonder what detector manufacturer that guy works for?

I hope the marketing folks where he works appreciate what a huge difference this kind of open discussion makes to real enthusiasts like us.

Just wondering if the f-pulse would work along side a PI detector,such as a whites TDI or GPX ?
Carl-NC said:

Frequency shifting is most effective when you are dealing with narrowband single frequencies; that is, a single freq main detector and a single freq pinpointer. The F-Pulse is PI, so it's a wideband design, and the Equinox is multi-freq, also wideband. That makes it a lot more difficult to find an F-Pulse frequency that won't interfere with any of the Equinox channels. With any PP it's gonna be a crapshoot, so I suggest you take the Equinox with you next time, and try out individual PPs until you find one that works.