Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher f19 for field hunting vs homesites

relicmeister

My current lineup of detectors is XP Orx (11”x35, 9” hf, and 5.5x9” hf). Teknetics t2 classic ( 13” , stock elliptical and 5” dd) and Fisher f19
( 10”x13”, stock 10”x5”, and 5” dd). I know the Orx with 11” is great in the fields. And the T2 with ultimate coil is also very good- especially in AM. Has anyone used an f19 with a big coil to detect in fields? If so, how does it work for you? Do you prefer all metal ? Or disc
How would you rate these 3 detectors in open fields? I’ve only used the f19 in fields one time so I haven’t formed much of an opinion on performance yet, but I like how it feels
To swing.

My current lineup of detectors is XP Orx (11”x35, 9” hf, and 5.5x9” hf). Teknetics t2 classic ( 13” , stock elliptical and 5” dd) and Fisher f19
( 10”x13”, stock 10”x5”, and 5” dd). I know the Orx with 11” is great in the fields. And the T2 with ultimate coil is also very good- especially in AM. Has anyone used an f19 with a big coil to detect in fields? If so, how does it work for you? Do you prefer all metal ? Or disc
How would you rate these 3 detectors in open fields? I’ve only used the f19 in fields one time so I haven’t formed much of an opinion on performance yet, but I like how it feels

To swing.
A year ago I had all of the models you listed as well as a Nokta FORS CoRe and FORS Relic, Simplex +, Anfibio Multi, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F5, Garrett Apex, White's MXT Pro and XLT, and a few others. To be clear, I seldom use even a detector's 'standard' coil becuse I have favored smaller-size to mid-size coils for the bulk of my detecting which includes 'old' homesites (aka homesteads), ghost towns, old encampments and fort sites, etc. Dense iron debris, rubble and frequently think brush has to be dealt with. However, I do, from time-to-time, hunt a wide-open area to include rangeland, pastures, and farmed ground, and that's when I use the more recent 'standard' coils which, for most applications, are over-sized .... at least to me.

In the open field work I did the only aftermarket bigger coil I used was a NEL Super-Fly on a Tek. T2+. Otherwise, I used the Fisher / Teknetics 11" BiAxial
(aka DD) on the F-19's and T2+ and F5, 9" X-35 on the ORX, 8½X11 DD on the Apex, 11" round DD on the Simplex + and Anfibio Multi, 7X11 DD on the CoRe, Relic and Racer 2, and 9" Concentric on the MXT Pro and 950 Concentric on the XLT. I have used some over-size coils on some of the models listed that I had in the past or have used a friends detector and coil just to see how they worked and how they felt in the way of balance and comfort.

Performance
on a lot of the located targets that I encountered to test the various detectors and coils was 'interesting'. f for performance as well as the weight / balance 'comfort' rating of the three you listed, it would be close to a tie between the T2 and ORX. With a heavier coil out on the end of the rod, I would likely grab the T2+ first as the physical configuration would help balance out the package. The ORX is extremely comfortable, but I have only handled the 11" coil on one for maybe 3 minutes so I don't know. My guess is that it could get a bit nose-heavy with a bigger coil.

The F19? Well, I have owned 4 of them, but parted with them all because I didn't care for the limited audio options, or the performance , and I found them to be heavier-feeling with their solid-body 5X10 DD and less comfortable for long hunts with a 7X11, so a bigger or heavier coil would not satisfy me.

Also, the depth-of-detection of the F19 with a comparable-size coil fell short of what I got with the same-size coil on the F5 and T2+, or a comparable-size and shape coil on the CoRe, Relic or Racer 2.

The T2+ I had was also much more comfortable than the F19 when I had the Super-Fly mounted, but I didn't have one for the F19 to compare. But those are just MY opinions and feelings, and some of that also relates to detectors I happen to favor compared with the F19 which I just don't care for.

Monte

A Fisher F19 is not heavy. Weighs about the same as my Apex 2.5 lbs. I could see where putting a large coil would off balance it. However there are some lighter ones such has the Nel Superfly that would probably work better.

I appreciate your opinions. I find the t2 with ultimate coil and reasonably light and comfortable- about same as f19 and Mars tiger ( after putting a lead weight of close to a pound at the end of the shaft). The f19/ tiger is quiet whereas tha t2 / ultimate is super sensitive to EMI and bumps but is rather deeper. The Orx/11” needs a slight counterbalance and will be excellent to swing and probably plenty deep. I haven’t had much time on any in fields but I was certainly digging deep targets with all. All metal is rather new to me but should be the way to go in fields and I want to try the Orx gold modes in addition to coin deep. In time I’ll determine what I like best for field hunting. The t2 and f19 came with 5” coils so I’m curious how they compare with the Orx with 5.5 x9” elliptical coil.

I like to hunt the newer gold bug in all metal. It is quite a bit deeper. If I want a VID opinion, I switch to discrimination. I use a toggle switch to change between modes which makes it very easy to do, instantaneous even. Sometimes I can't even get a signal in disc even though nothing is disced out. I usually use the 5x9 gold bug coil for fields. If I get into the nails, the 5" or the Nel Snake come out. Let me know what you find comparing these coils to the xp elliptical one. It is on my "maybe" list.