Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F5 coils

Well I waited to long to buy a Tesoro as a backup detector. So I am going to try and find a Fisher F5. That was the detector I was going to buy before Teknetics dropped the price of the T2.
So what I am looking for is opinions on which coil I should add to the F5? Should it be the 5X10"DD or the 5"DD.

If there is such a coil as a 5x10"DD for the F5, that would be your all around best bet. Better ground coverage, better depth and about the same target separation as the 5".

As you go about the search for a F5, I would suggest looking for one that comes with the 11"DD over the 10" concentric. Also check the type of connection of the coil to the detector, push on or screw on. The push on type are the older ones and coils to fit it are a little harder to find, go with the screw on type.

Just some thoughts,

Ron in WV

It depends on where you plan to hunt. When I had the F5 I really liked the 11" DD coil. It wasn't the best to unmask in trashy areas but it was a good compromise on depth vs separation vs ground coverage. The stock concentric is a capable coil as well but I preferred a DD coil on that detector. The 5 X 10 DD closed design of the F19 and G2 is fully compatible with it as well if you want a smaller coil that separates better than the 11 DD. The 5" round DD coil is without equal in high trash sites.

I liked the 5x10 DD. The 5" DD works good but was too small.

If you like small coils 1st Texas Products also offer a 4" concentric coil now for the 7.6/7.8 kHz units that works pretty good. Not in the same league as the 5"DD but pretty good good depth for a little 4" concentric. I bought one for my 8500, and found out it worked just as well on my F75. Don't confuse this with the 4" BH concentric coil which will not work very well on the F5/Greek units.

Other coils you might want to look at for the F5 are the Triangulated concentric coils that come on the F22 and F44. I use the 11" Triangulated coil pretty often.

All of my DD type F5/Greek coils interchange properly with the F19/G2+ and Goldbug Pro. Most of the concentric coils will not.

HH
Mike

► As been reminded in a prior reply, the early F5's used push-on connectors and then they went to screw-on connectors. Get an F5 that uses the screw-on coil connector.

► I considered an F5 but was encouraged to buy and Omega 8000 in March of 2010 and it quickly became my preferred urban Coin Hunting model. I bought the pro package and compared coils at many sites for a couple of weeks. I preferred the 'standard' elliptical Concentric to the 11" BiAxial (DD) coil, and in typical urban trash I liked the 5" DD. Then I borrowed the round 8" off a Delta I bought for kids to use and preferred that for typical day-to-day coverage. My Omega-preferred coils were the 8" Concentric and 5" DD. That combination worked very well for me.

► Because I spend the bulk of my detecting time working ghost towns and other sites that have very dense concentrations of nails and other ferrous debris, I use more dedicated models that provide me with superior handling for dealing with iron nails being barely rejected and providing a quicker recovery speed to produce a fast response on nearby desired trash. The F5, Omega, and many detectors struggle in that regard, and in the late summer of '15 I sold/traded my Omega, as I had my T2 w/5" which was, at the time, my better Relic Hunting device before I switched to a superior make/model. I had moved to a dinky town of 535± people and had very little Coin Hunting opportunities like I used to.

► Fall of last year, I decide that due to health and mobility concerns I just can't get to as many out-of-the-way older sites and will have to spend more time working urban parks, schools, parking strips, etc., etc. So I added an Omega 8000 back into my arsenal, and spotted an ad for a 7" Concentric coil, the same one used on the Fisher F11. Got it, mounted it, and have totally enjoyed using the 7" Concentric coil on the Omega 8000, the simplified cousin of the F5. Shortly after, I bought another Omega 8000, a V.6, that came with three coils including a 7" Concentric which I keep mounted full-time.

► I then bought a Fisher F44 and moved the 7" Concentric from the first Omega 8K to the F44, then mounted the 5" DD on that first Omega 8K, a V.4

I have used the other coils designed for the F5/F44/Omega 8000 and 8500, as well as the solid 5X10 F19 coil on these models, and while I do keep extra coils on lower rods in my Accessory Coil Tote, I have found the 7" Concentric and 5" DD to be the two best search coils to complement each other for a wide-range of detecting applications.

Just my experiences.

Monte

The F5 I ordered has the threaded connector for the coil. Like yourself I have a T2 with a sharpshooter coil which has produced enough to buy me this F5. I detect a lot of school yards and local parks. I am not sure how many people detect around here but I still find plenty. I have even found some civil war bullets in our parks. I finally retired again last year and caught up on some projects so I hope to hit it hard this year.

I am thinking about getting a F22 to go along with my F5 and F70. I have the 10"DD coil and the 10" concentric for my F5. Will the coils interchange on the F5 and F22?

F22 has coil frequency of 7.69 and the F5 has one of 7.8.

That is close enough that it may work.

Fisher F70 w/Fisher 11” DD and NEL Snake Coil
Fisher 1280-X w/8” Coil
Fisher F2 w/4”and 8”
Makro Pointer
Killer B Stinger Headphones
Garrett Z-Lynk

Mr. Beard said:
I am thinking about getting a F22 to go along with my F5 and F70. I have the 10"DD coil and the 10" concentric for my F5. Will the coils interchange on the F5 and F22?

Fisher says 100 percent compatible. I had the F44 (same freq as F22) and used to switch coils between my F5 and my F44. No ill effects that I could detect.

Fisher
F5 (early model had push)
F11 (unsure if push or screw)
F22
F44
F19 (19khz)
Gold Bug (Pro) (19khz)

Teknetics
Alpha (early model had push)
Delta (early model had push)
Gamma
Omega
EuroTek Pro
EuoTek (push in)
G2 and G2+ (19khz)

Bounty Hunter
Platinum (unsure)
Gold (unsure)
Land Ranger Pro (push in)
Quick Draw Pro (push in)
Lone Star Pro (push in)

Those are all 7.7khz or 19khz and ANY coils that work for one...will work for another. As long as the connection is correct...or you have an adapter.

NOTE: 19khz G2(+) and F19 and Gold Bug (Pro) only accept DD coils in theory...but some have used concentric with success. YMMV.