Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher F5

Well it's getting close to time and I need some opinions.
I am about to order a new Fisher F5 with the 11DD coil but I need recommendations on a small coil. Which of the following would you suggest, 5"DD, 5" concentric or 6.5" elliptical?

I would go with the 5"DD coil.

In a Fisher coil I have not seen either of the other 2 coils you asked about for a F5.

NEL does make a NEL snake DD coil for the F5, which is elliptical (3.5" x 6.5"). This coil may be a little hard to find. I got one for my F75 and it works pretty good.

Ron in WV

I have an F5 with the 11 DD coil and the 10 concentric. I have not heard of a 5 inch concentric but the small 5 inch DD might be what you want. Look in the Fisher Forum:

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?37,1414301

I have a Detech 5X10 SEF coming in and can't wait to try it out but if it doesn't work out for me I'll be looking at the 5 inch Fisher myself.

Well school is almost out for the summer so it's getting close to F5 in the mail. Has anyone used the fisher gold bug 5X10 coil on on there F5? I was just wondering because it is now the standard coil on the F19. Is there a reason for that.

I have found the 5 x 10 concentric coil to be very useful in parks etc, as it identifies the beer bottle caps easier than the dd coils. There is a 5 x 10 dd coil, which I dont have, but others have found useful.

Snap On Man said:
Well school is almost out for the summer so it's getting close to F5 in the mail. Has anyone used the fisher gold bug 5X10 coil on on there F5? I was just wondering because it is now the standard coil on the F19. Is there a reason for that.

I've never used that one but I'm pretty sure that Mike Hillis loves that coil so you might want to check his posts about it. I have the 10 X 5 Detech SEF and I like it so far. I find it pinpoints more accurately than the 11 DD and gets into tighter spaces.

Furious T said:
I have found the 5 x 10 concentric coil to be very useful in parks etc, as it identifies the beer bottle caps easier than the dd coils. There is a 5 x 10 dd coil, which I dont have, but others have found useful.

Do you mean the elliptical concentric that comes stock with the F5 ? I have never heard of another concentric apart from that one and the 8 inch round one.

Snap On Man said:
Keep the comments coming. I am here and reading!!!!!

Try posting on the Fisher "F" series forum. You should get more responses there.

Got an F70 that came with the standard 10" elliptical and a bit later picked up the 11" DD and a 5" DD for it too.
If you tried to take any of them away from me you had better bring 3 other big guys and a gun because I will fight you to the death over all of them.
The big DD is for phenomenal depth and efficient coverage in big areas, that coil can be used in extreme trash also by adjusting the settings on mine correctly, I assume on the F5 also.
For lots of trashy site hunting the sniper is much more efficient at this task and even though some say the disc is sharper on concentric I have had no issues using mine regarding target ID's or anything of that nature at all, seems as sharp as a concentric to me.
That long but thin scanning field does have advantages when hunting in thick trash or heavy iron because it can snake in and around junk in sites like that.
It is unusually good in heavy iron.
As far as pop tops using concentrics these are a non issue but there are techniques to successfully ID these hated things about 98% of the time quickly and efficiently with the DD's mounted on Fishers.
To answer your question I gotta vote for the small DD coil because of my experience with one.

The 5x10 DD coil does good on the F5 with maxed out settings. Max out both the gain and threshold....put the threshold into that ++9 setting I and others have talked about. It works real good that away. In fact that is the only settings you want to use with that coil.

HH
Mike

Mike, thanks for all your help. When I order I am going to start off with the 11DD and the 5 x 10 DD . Do you think this is a good start.

I think that would be a great start, Snap on Man.

Don't discount the 10" eliptical concentric that normally comes stock for when you need that extra bit of target id. But the 11" DD and the 5x10" DD will make a great combo.

Just remember, the 5x10 likes that setting I told you.

My first hunt with the 5x10 DD on the F5 resulted in a ring and silver dime in the same hole. Dime was below the ring. The F5 was correctly identifying both targets but because the were located in the same veritical plan the composite signal bounced like junk. What it was really doing was saying " ring/dime". Pretty easy to learn to trust what it's telling you.

When you get the F5, take some time to learn it's sweep speed and then train yourself to sweep at the speed it likes. If you sweep faster than what it likes you will miss targets.

You are going to have some fun!

HH
Mike

Mike thanks for all your advice. May 20, I park the schools bus and start hitting the fields and parks around me. I am sure we will be communicating more around that time. I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Read It, printed it out, got it in a binder, protected by plastic sheets and what I think are critical information I high lighted it. I am sure I will be high lighting more in the future. Thanks for the help. If anything pops into you head don't be a stranger. Share it!!!!