Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:fisher: Gold Bug at the beach :detecting: :surprised:

Mr.Bill

For two days I have been trying to get to the beach with the new Gold Bug SE. Every time I head in that direction, mother nature opens the sky faucet, with a little bit of lightning. I managed yesterday afternoon to hit one of the beach's here on the Cape.

One thing I can say, anyone having a need to hunt on the salt beach's with the Gold Bug SE, will Not be disappointed with the results. It does well in everything from dry sand, wet sand, ocean water. ( A little disclaimer needed; Water as in a few inches. The Gold Bug SE is not a waterproof unit that can be submerged. Just the coil is waterproof. )

Best results will be in the discrimination mode. All metal mode will be a challenge, and pinpoint is a no go. it's not needed on the beach anyway. One needs to keep in mind that salt is a (+) positive target to the detector. Just like coins, or any other metal. Yes, the Gold Bug SE will ground balance to the beach. I let it do it with Ground Grab, it's simple to do. I managed to run at full sensitivity on the dry parts, and on the wet sand about 60/75%, and the 11 DD coil worked just fine.

This Gold Bug SE should be a real killer on jewelry. The depth ranges for small wedding bands, and tiny bracelets is unreal. I'm not going to get into particulars because my spots are not going to be like yours. I will go out on a limb a bit about the Gold Bug. I doubt there is any modern unit out there today commercially available, that will do as good jewelry hunting, or be as sensitive on the salt beach. Oh did I mention the price ??? It only has a $549. list price. The Gold Bug SE is going to be in short supply. If your thinking about one, you should contact your local dealer quickly before there all gone. It will be late in July before the next batch hits the street, ( just a guess on my part ).

Mr. Bill

Hi Bill did you have to raise disc setting from what it would be in dry sand and if so buy how much.
Thanks Mike

The GB SE...does it come with the 11 inch DD or do you have to purchase that separately ? You know me..always looking for another light weight beach unit !

Do you have them in stock ?

John

Better at what ??? I wished there were a "best" detector out there. Think of the money we could all save.

You know I like chocolate ice cream, but because I think it's the best, others may not agree.:shrug:

I know this is a legit question, but it's not appropriate on a Fisher forum. :(

Is there an operators manual available online for the Gold Bug SE? I am seriously considering selling my Goldmaster II to get one of these units, but I would really like to see a few more reviews, and mabe paruse the manual. Also, Mr. Bill...how would this stack up against a Fisher F70 for depth and sensitivity to tiny gold? I have used a F70 at work, and am familiar with it somewhat, otherwise the only other detectors Ive used is my Goldmaster II and a Fisher 1212X. I really like the weight of the unit, and the multi purpose capabilities of it.

Here is the link. http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/manuals/GBug(reader).pdf

The F70 & the Gold Bug are really two different machines. Can the Gold Bug do detecting like the F70, sure it can, but it wasn't designed as a all round detector. The Bug is deeper, and more sensitive toward gold. It also does a bit better than the F70 at a salt beach. I happen to like the F70, and feel it's one of the better choices out there. It's a unit I have in my personal collection.

The Gold Bug SE was designed primary for gold nugget hunting. The designer decided to add a little bonus, and set up a discrimination circuit in it. He also made it perhaps the deepest unit you can purchase out there. Deepest on what ? Coins for certain, exceptional on low conductive ones, and gold/gold jewelry. Yes the Gold Bug is a hot one, but I wouldn't toss the F70 under the train yet. :rofl:

Mr. Bill

Thank you Mr. Bill
Like I said, I dont have alot of experience on alot of machines, I appriciate your opinion and experience...I think Im going to get one...I really like my Goldmaster II, but the weight, and it being just a gold machine, and I cant have multiple machines (I live in the NW corner of Oregon, so I have the Pacific beaches, the Columbia River beaches within 10 miles & 3 miles of my house). If I had to guess, I would say that Mr. Johnson mabe was involve in both the F70 & the Gold Bug SE...the displays are similar in appearance, and the functions are both user friendly, and practical...and both are very lightweight. The F70 isnt mine, its my place of employments' (I talked them into buying one for pipe, and wire and sprinkler head locating), but it is the most modern one Ive used, and is nice but the discriminate mode is a little more complicated that I care for (but I almost always use the all-metal mode) but I havent really explored it that much. My dream machine has always been the MXT, but the weight is a minus for me, and the 10 years newer technology, and same designer is sure a plus for me (and the cost).