Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher Service

ElginTim

Haven't been online at any detector forums for awhile, was wondering if anyone else had difficulty with Fisher service? Has there been problems since they came under new management?
I sent my CZ-20 in for routine maintenance, rubber boots on the buttons and seals. It was working fine when I sent it and now I'm told it needs new 10 point pot (disc knob I presume) and new circuit board (not sure if there is more than one or not) for total of 535 bucks. I am assuming something went wrong during the check or service and I'm expected to pick up the cost.

I've been a Fisher user for many years, owning a 1235X, CZ-5, CZ7 and CZ-20 and look forward to getting an F-75 soon. But I am seriously soured on the service as the mgr there would not respond to my question on what exactly was wrong with the CZ-20, or specifically what problems exist with the circuit board.

I would appreciate any input regarding this from Fisher reps, if available. Just got ignored and sent to voice mail again while trying to get info from their service department.

I've never heard of a problem like this. Have you called them, or just corresponded by email? That's a good chunk of change and I'd certainly want a real live person to answer my questions.

They have not responded via e-mail at all, and now are only giving me voicemail treatment. Last time we talked, on Friday I made it clear I would like specific faults or problems detailed as to why a good machine suddenly had 535 bucks worth of damage. I asked if there was a problem with board delamination, discreet components, solder or other material failure, and was told nothing.

Sorry to hear you're problem, just sent the 1280X I have been using since Nov. '07 in for calibration, coil balance and internal gb adjustment, they are scheduled to get it tomorrow from UPS. When I originally called them to discuss my concerns, I spoke to the tech and he was great as was the customer service guy who gave me my RA#.

One question for you, did you put a note in with the machine telling them the specific repairs you needed?
They told me they would not mess with the electronics unless I specified that it's ok.

I would get someone on the phone and explain that the machine worked and there was no reason for any checks on the electronics.
Good Luck.

Glenn

Enclosed a note plainly stating there were no operational difficulties and again, can't seem to get Felix, who manages the sevice department on the line. He keeps bumping me to voice mail. So I guess there's nothing left to talk about, I get no answer to what's wrong, and my gear sits it out.

wow!..something indeed sounds a miss!..it seems odd that they would treat you with so much disrespect!..perhaps something happened in shipment,however one would think they would divulge that to you,but a totall snub is beyond belief!..hell you can purchase a very nice quality detector for 535.00!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Yep, get a new one or airfare and a ball bat....

But lo and behold, the Power of The Fisher Forum. Felix just called. Still he had no details, except he added that the front panel was broken to the previous report of a bad circuit board and a ten point pot. He did not elaborate on "the circuit board" and I asked that he call me back with full details, as I did last week. So while I am still in the dark as to the nature of the problems, he did say that taking the unit apart and running diagnostics was part of the seal replacement service and this is where the problems were found.

I've had my CZ-7 since Sept '97 and never sent it in for anything, I think I'll keep it that way.

Call fisher again and ask for Mikes phone number. Tell
him what the problem is and see if he can resolve this for you.
Don't let them try to push you off on someone else.

Robert R

HUmmmmm. Well, if the machine is old and out of warranty, you might end up eating
the cost of repairs. Maybe you might want to just get new machine. Sorry to hear
your having all this difficulty. Maybe this is a good opportunity in disguise?:shrug:
Regards
Robert R

Being a Fisher user for the last 15 years and having like friends.who sent their units in were given excellent service at reasonable prices..Detailed description of repairs and cost were given prior to repair. Seems like I hear good and bad about the new Fisher but never have dealth with them myself so cannot make any comments. Personally I would like to talk to the tech for a detailed description and old or new it seems when the CZ20 went down repairs were expensive to repair and at that price it seems a good used one could be had..Certainly we now know how important a warranty is and am sure the gang would like to know how this situation turns out so do keep the forum advised..Usually each company has the one person that can be relied on to rectify situations etc.etc. and perhaps one of the forum members who have had their units repaired by the new Fisher could perhaps supply this info..Good luck and seems to me like it would be cost prohibitive to repair as the repair price is quite high....

If that is how much they want to charge you, then it really is cost prohibitive and another used one in great shape may be in order if you prefer the CZ-20. You could keep the other for parts. I see on ebay that a guy sent in his CZ-20 to be worked on to FT and they put a CZ-21 faceplate and pinpoint on it. I'm telling everyone out there who loves their CZ's like me to start, if you already haven't done so, buying replacement parts since they are becoming more scarce. Some dealers have told me that and their websites are reflecting that when they drop the Fisher accessories. Los Banos Fisher, the machines produced there, and the parts are slowly fading away to FT products. There are still a few new CZ-20's with a lifetime warranty to be had out there-it just takes a bit of homework and luck...best of luck in this matter :)

I'm still waiting to hear back from the service department today on detailed failure modes before I make any decision. It does seem like a total rehab would not be a bad idea, but again the way it has happened leaves me with more questions than answers. I love Fisher products so far. My first was a CZ-5 shortly after they came to market, and I've not regretted owning them.

But hey, spring's on the way someday and I'll need that CZ-20 back in working order. ARGHHHH!

i'm tellin' ya straight!..if ft wants to make this right!..they should let him have a brand new "in the box" cz-21 for either short money,or just give it to him to promote good public relations!..this is out in the public now,and it doesn't bode well for their reputation going forward!..c'mon treat the guy right!..if they really want him to buy a cz-21,then give the guy a break,and respect his doing business with you!

(h.h!)
j.t.

Before I sent it in, I was unaware of the new CZ-21 offering, as I had not been around MD'ing forums or newsletters for some time. Had I been aware, I just might have gone that route to begin with!

But I do love your PR-friendly resolution-suggestion.

The Kitchen Funding Committee would also approve, as she thinks the repair cost could drive us to become guests of the Texas Correctional System from her suggested response.