Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher TW-5 Fisher 2 Box...what batteries could i use ??

Mega

I have and use a Fisher TW-5 Fisher 2 Box setup mainly for locating of possible hoards over here in the UK,the system does not come out too play very often but is always handy to own such a unit.

The problem that i am trying to sort out is the battery side of this unit,it currently uses 16 AA batteries ie 8 in each of the 2 units,these batteries are housed in plastic holders that then plug onto the main battery terminal these are the same as the 9volt PP3 connectors if that makes sense,so basically you use 8 batteries in the plastic housing then this plugs onto the PP3 connector.

The battery housing that the batteries packs fit into are reasonably large i assume for possible same voltage batteries but bigger capacities so that they last longer when using them as a business tool.

As the TW-5 is only used say a few times a year it seems to be a waste of using normal alkaline ones,have tried using 16 ni-cad batteries in which do work well,but was wondering if the unit will work to its full potential if i use these which are rated at 1.2volts rather than the normal 1.5volts.Could i just use say 1 PP3 which is the right voltage in each unit which are much cheaper to buy than say 16 AA batteries.I think i am right in saying it certainly would work but not as long time duration as the 16 battery option.

So as i only would use it for say 1 day a year and not every day then could i get away using PP3's in this setup.

Many thanks

Well i was lucky enough to by some brand new Ni-Cad batteries although they are still only 1.2volts they seems to work very well and last alot longer than i would ever require to use it for,so the problem is all sorted out.It certainly is a very deep bit of kit and a normal detector just would not get even close to what this thing can get too.

Very please with the results that i am getting.

The system probably has a regulator in it to reg. the voltage as the voltage might not be 12 volts to the pegboard maybe just 9 volts and the rest of the voltage is a backup for longevity. jmho rwd mo

shortribs said:
The system probably has a regulator in it to reg. the voltage as the voltage might not be 12 volts to the pegboard maybe just 9 volts and the rest of the voltage is a backup for longevity. jmho rwd mo

Thanks for your reply and your input,must admit i am not 100% sure as i am not a electronic's boffin,but it works and that i guess is the main thing,i think you could well be right about the longevity of the batteries as i think i am right in saying that it runs for about 30-40 hours on the 1.5v option,if i was using it as say a business utility tool then of course i would use the higher and longer lasting batteries.

My plans are using it for say 1 or 2 days a year if that for when i suspect a deep hoard is in the location over here in the UK,currently have 2 sites that are giving these indications so when the crops come off the 2 box setup will come out too play.Of course i would not have normally bought such a machine as it would sit idle most of the time but it was nearly brand new and i got offered it at a crazy bargain price.

I will of course keep you updated on how long they last but i have tried it a few times while getting use to it and the battery check meter is still showing maximum,which is good enough for me.

Thanks again for your input.