Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fisher VLF-555-D

BigZ696

Sorry guys I have been writing on the wrong sites. I am looking for any information on the toggle switch at the end of the U-handle. Where to get one and if it has a number what that is. Also a manual would be great all so. My first time here. You guys are filled with knowledge. Thanks for any help you can offer. BigZ696

Dual Mode – VLF – all metal plus full range discrimination. Twin 10-Turn Tuners – independently super fine-tune each mode Search Modes: VLF-TR Discriminate & VLF- All Metal Twin Sensitivity Controls – one for each mode for optimum performance in highly mineralized ground Coarse/Fine Dual Knob GMC Control – for precision ground-reject adjustment 60 Cycle Sync Switch – eliminate power line interference Toggle Mode Change Handle Switch Power On/Off Volume Control Battery Check Control Large Meter Built-in speaker Stereo headphone jack 1/4″. Requires twelve “AA” batteries for operation, arranged in two holders of six each......Is there anyone out there that could handle the 555-D...The CZ, 1266 and the 1270, all this is done for you in the black box...If you know how to use the 555-D, it will surpass all Fishers in depth if you want to spend the time turning knobs and flipping switches...

One of my favorites, deep for an older machine in VLF mode. Lack luster depth in Disc mode,a Tesoro Compadre will out do it.
Keep telling myself I need to one one again but, at the prices some are asking there are far better modern machine for less.
There's no fixing the bad ones if that black module that is potted in black epoxy fails.
The 555D used to be a silver killer back in the day.

Still using my and Sven is right Silver Killer, especially in fresh water, also a killer on small gold in the water that others have missed, watch the needle, any tiny bounce with hardly a sound ( needle will give a minor flucuation and not break audio) DIG-IT.

There were some slight variations internally within this model depending upon the year.
Don't know how much of a difference that will make in performance.
I do know when my friend first started to carry the Fisher line back in the late 70's and he just loved them.
He found silver all the time as well as other old coins and jewelry, I resisted getting one from him because of the big
lunchbox looks and went for the slimmer White's models he had. Thought they looked cooler and blue was my favorite color.
I kind of missed the boat there. Many years later I bought one out of curiosity and realized the missed opportunities of not owning one when they first came out.
For a VLF/TR disc machine they are still worth owning if you find a good one.

Shooter,

Good to see you back, I was looking at this 555 thread and that reminded me that I hadn't seen any of your post for a while.

Ron in WV

I owned a 555D for a while but didn't really like it. All Metal mode depth was not good and I think the detector had a fault.
Anyway I have owned a 553D since the late 70s and it is still running perfectly. I have found more Aussie pre decimal silver coin with this detector than with any other detector I have owned....I have had 58 detectors since the early 60s
The All Metal GB mode is capable of excellent depth in all but the most severe iron mineralised ground and the Disc mode could reverse discriminate any signal that the All met mode produced and at good depth.
Keeping the detector in tune was a hassle at times with lots of knob fiddling required but the good target tally at the end of the day justified it all.
I fitted a Fine Tuner to the Disc Mode Tuner because the standard tuner was a bit sensitive to even a soft touch.
I have not used the 553D for a while now but it is a keeper.

Still have mine with an 8,11, and the solid water coil, one of the best machines I ever owned, goes deep if you listen to what she tells you. takes a little doing to learn her awesome in freshwater beaches lots of gold "Watch for needle pulse or tic, deep, deep gold most of the time no audio. Send me your Email and Ill send you the manual. FREE!!! only kidding, be glad to send it. have to help each other out in this world right Ron.Also best to use Reverse Discrimination, mineralization makes DISC. hard to use, also R/D lets you scrub the grpound which will get better depth with that type of detector, got ton of info on that detector. PM me your address can't post files on this site.Later Dude.

I made mine into a hip mount ,Fisher used to sell a hip mount kit for $50.00 . I'll get the part # off the switch if it's still visible.Think it was just a 4 or 6 pole switch, i'll post a switch pic.

The meter needles are very sensitive on the 553d and 555d machines , They are more sensitive than many other detectors that use a needle . Working these machines is an art that will reward.
Heavy buggers though but they look very nice with the gold coloured parts....