Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FIX BAYONETS

Blind Squirrel

Howdy--

My hunting buddy and I were out seeking some new ground to hunt and came up empty handed. We passed by a lot that had recently been mowed. I had hunted it a couple of times before and dug a silver Roosevelt & my buddy had hunted it with another friend a total of 19 times. They had found some silver, plenty of old wheat cents and some jewelery. Well, it was mowed - why not?

My buddy hunted the N side of the lot and I went to the S side. The S side, in the past, had weeds that were knee high but now it was easily huntable. I used my 6X10 on my V3i and got a solid 82-84 vdi reading that pinpointed @ 5" with 2.5 frequency dominant. I was thinking quarter but I wasn't too disappointed to see this neat unit insignia with the motto FIX BAYONETS.

After some research, I learned that it is an insignia of the 85th Infantry Regiment attached to the 10th Mountain Division. The 85th Infantry was formed in 1918 but the distinctive unit insignia was not approved until 5/18/1951. I'm guessing that this is a Korean War era relic. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Nice save from the caustic dirt around here!

nice find, Blind Squirrel. It was only my 12th or 13th time....but, who's counting.lol

Thanks Explorer. I was lucky to swing my coil over some mowed ground and find ANYTHING good. There were some pretty good detectorists that previously hunted that lot. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks shafer44. Somebody told me that they had hunted it 19 times but as you say - who counts?! Hahah. Here is a picture of it after a light cleaning with a tooth brush. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel