Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Flammable vs Combustible. (Maybe this should go in the 21st Century Tales Forum???

Greg(E.Tn)

I learned the difference between Flammable and Combustible the hard way. :drinking:

It could have been much, much worse, however........

My former wife and I burnt our paper and cardboard garbage back in the day--my favorite flammable propellant for doing so was Charcoal Starter, falls in the FLAMMABLE category, which I knew at the time.

So one day I was burning a big pile of cardboard, went to get the charcoal starter, and found to my dismay that only about a tenth was left in the bottle. So, I doused the pile as best as I could with what I had, and went back into the basement, looking for something else which was FLAMMABLE.

I came back out with a gallon can of what we know as Coleman Camp Stove fuel, which issssssssssssssssss………...

COMBUSTIBLE. :thumbup:

I figured I was pretty safe using it, as only a quarter can was left. :drinking:

So, I added that to the pile, and waited a bit, because something in the back of my mind was sending little warning signals about FUMES. I stepped back about three or four feet, and waited for a couple of minutes, at which time our Catahoula Cur dog named "Jeb" ambled down to see what was going on.

So, I lit the fire, and fortunately turned my head away at the last time, because the fire went "Whoomp!" A big fireball went up in the air, and I didn't see Jeb again for about three hours.

The wifey stepped out onto the porch and said, "What was that noise?" I said, "I didn't hear anything."

She replied, "It sounded like a car door slamming," then turned back to whatever she was doing.

So, anyway, that's how I learned the difference between Flammable and Combustible.

Greg, I learnt the hard way... when I was 19 or so I owned a 1962 Cadillac Conv. , dark blue, White Leather interior etc. But it had a problem, Cold starts we’re difficult. The engine would crank and crank and not fire up. I learnt that I needed to prime the carburetor with a drop or two of gasoline to fire it up Each morning. I had only owned the Cad for a couple weeks. Anyway I had a plastic half gallon container with gas in my garage for use as a primer.
This one cold winter morning prior to even trying to start the engine I opened the hood, removed the air cleaner and poured a wee bit of gas in the carb. I left the hood open and air cleaner off, hopped in the car and fired it up. The engine ran rough a couple seconds and died out. Being in a rush I ran out and started pouring another small stream of gas into the carb. As I was doing this,I didn’t know there was a small flame like a match in the carburetors throat. That tiny flame engulfed the stream of fuel instantly up to the plastic container I was holding and blew up.
The flames engulfed my face and hair. I immediately jumped into a snow bank and smothered the flames. In shock my instinct was to run back into my house and I remember my jacket was still smoldering on the shoulders. Running by my then wife into the bathroom she immediately called the Police for help. I in the meantime looked into a mirror. My face was black, hair singed etc..It seemed like a hour but it wasn’t only a few minutes when a Police Cruiser picked my up and rushed me to the hospital.
I was lucky, the doctor told me the flames hadn’t got into my throat. They calmed me down, kept me for a few hours and sent me home. I was given some type of burn cream to cover my face, ears and neck with and was not to go outside do to possible infections. My ear lobes were swollen my Lips looked like ten Botox shots were injected and my skin looked like Kentucky Fried Chicken after a couple days. Over the coming weeks the scorched skin became loose and I removed it slowly as I felt needed. The spots were then pink... again I had to be very careful do to possible infection. I didn’t step outside for three weeks or more. I don’t remember how long exactly. When I did I kept a towel around my neck which was still healing. Couldn’t return to Work for over a month.
Fortunately I was young and stupid at the time.. only signs of that horrible experience is a small area on my upper Lip which has been covered for close to fifty years by my mustache!
Lessened learned... don’t play with Fire...
Ron J

I sure am glad it wasn't worse.

A lot of things we learn the hard way.

Greg, I learnt the hard way... when I was 19 or so I owned a 1962 Cadillac Conv. , dark blue, White Leather interior etc. But it had a problem, Cold starts we’re difficult. The engine would crank and crank and not fire up. I learnt that I needed to prime the carburetor with a drop or two of gasoline to fire it up Each morning. I had only owned the Cad for a couple weeks. Anyway I had a plastic half gallon container with gas in my garage for use as a primer.
This one cold winter morning prior to even trying to start the engine I opened the hood, removed the air cleaner and poured a wee bit of gas in the carb. I left the hood open and air cleaner off, hopped in the car and fired it up. The engine ran rough a couple seconds and died out. Being in a rush I ran out and started pouring another small stream of gas into the carb. As I was doing this,I didn’t know there was a small flame like a match in the carburetors throat. That tiny flame engulfed the stream of fuel instantly up to the plastic container I was holding and blew up.
The flames engulfed my face and hair. I immediately jumped into a snow bank and smothered the flames. In shock my instinct was to run back into my house and I remember my jacket was still smoldering on the shoulders. Running by my then wife into the bathroom she immediately called the Police for help. I in the meantime looked into a mirror. My face was black, hair singed etc..It seemed like a hour but it wasn’t only a few minutes when a Police Cruiser picked my up and rushed me to the hospital.
I was lucky, the doctor told me the flames hadn’t got into my throat. They calmed me down, kept me for a few hours and sent me home. I was given some type of burn cream to cover my face, ears and neck with and was not to go outside do to possible infections. My ear lobes were swollen my Lips looked like ten Botox shots were injected and my skin looked like Kentucky Fried Chicken after a couple days. Over the coming weeks the scorched skin became loose and I removed it slowly as I felt needed. The spots were then pink... again I had to be very careful do to possible infection. I didn’t step outside for three weeks or more. I don’t remember how long exactly. When I did I kept a towel around my neck which was still healing. Couldn’t return to Work for over a month.
Fortunately I was young and stupid at the time.. only signs of that horrible experience is a small area on my upper Lip which has been covered for close to fifty years by my mustache!
Lessened learned... don’t play with Fire...
Ron J