Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FMDAC Meeting in Olithe, KS

Nemo

The 25th Annual Meeting of the Federation of Metal Detecting and Archeological Clubs was held this weekend. Speakers included me (shown in pictures below) and KCDigger. KCDigger's Talk on pre-Civil War relics of Civilian, Fur Trade, and Dragoon Campsites of Kansas was particularly interesting.
[attachment 142650 Olithe1.png]
[attachment 142651 Olithe2.png]

Shown below are are Steve's recent finds from a Dragoon campsite. Featured in the picture are the Dragoon martingale and several "D" buttons and some fur trade relics probably used by the Indian scout of the troop.
[attachment 142652 Olithe3.png]

Another set of finds from a Dragoon camp showing 2 very rare wreath and spoon buckles, pewter underwear buttons and remains of shoulder scales.
[attachment 142653 Olithe4.png]

FurTrade relics featuring typical items traded to the Indians for fur pelts.
[attachment 142654 Olithe5.png]

More fur Trade relics including a large silver brooch and the remains of bone pocket knives with ornate cartouche inlays.
[attachment 142655 Olithe6.png]

Steve's talk was very insightful as to the types of activity going on in Kansas from the early 1800s to 1850s.
Thanks for looking
Dave Poche

Thank you Dave for posting some of my displays. The presentation you gave was absolutely incredible and very very informative! I know we all benefited greatly from hearing you speak and the knowledge you shared. Look forward to hearing from you again.

Steve

I am interested in finding out what the title of the book is in the 2nd photo. Thought it might make some interesting reading. Thanks, Mark

The big one is McKee and Mason's "Civil War Projectiles II; Small Arms & Field Artillery with Supplement" and the little one is Thomas and Thomas' "A Handbook of Civil War Bullets and Cartridges" The talk was on finding research sources for for military metal detecting and I consider both of these books. "got to haves" for anyone doing Civil War detecting.

Hope this helps,
Dave