Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Food for thought--opinions requested

Shuffler

When your at the beach and there are heavy seas............you know the ones.... where there are 10 foot waves crashing down at the tide line----the sound almost scares you out of your boots when your not paying attention.....does any one think that the 'HYDRAULIC' action of that water would push targets up from the depths ??? Thanks for your opinions..........Gene

I have wondered that myself, what few rings I have found some have been at the high tide wet sand line and very near the surface. My question similar to yours "are these fresh drops or pumped up there by the hydraulic action"?:confused:

Gerry

There is alot of info on the web about beach erosion, wave action and sand movement. As a beach hunter these are good things to learn, that is why that information is included in alot a metal detecting books. Knowing these things is one more tool to help you find gold or anything else.
So to answer the question is Yes.........Wave action will move targets up the surf but on the other hand waves move targets all over the beach, and this is were reading the beach will help you stand out from other people detecting...................HH

This could be a yes or no type deal; You also have to take into account the slope of the beach and the direction and strength of the current
or the lack of. Also the type of bottom would make a difference. But for the most part probably. Beaches with a steep draw would
have a tendency to pull stuff out into deeper water; where as beaches with shallow draw would not. The best way to look at it may
be to study the beaches that you hunt under ALL conditions and learn what really go's on THERE. The amount of sand moved on a daily
basis due to currents may be more important than wave height. You brought up a good subject that every one that hunts the surf needs
to think and study on. Every area of our coasts is different and needs to be study ed by those that use them.

HH

For sure things wash up... I have found large steel somethings covered in shells at the dune line... only a few inches deep . I have good and bad weekend at the same beach and I believe it is the amount of sand. I plan to take my self leveling laser and walk out a set distance from a set of steps where I will set the laser to take a Benchmark shot and check it since I am there almost every weekend. I think it will show at the low tide line more sand is coming in than ya think til its washed away from the beloved NE'r

thank you all for your great imput..............gives me more to think about this winter..........:detecting:........Gene

Along the Connecticut shore where I live there is little exposure to this kind of wave activity unless there is a major storm!

The bottom is a true "rock bottom" and then sand is piled on that.

The sand is shifted in and out covering and uncovering finds, but the goodies hardly move at all once they are secure in the fissures between the stones.

I'm certain that as sand is washed from the shore above the water-line out into the water there must be many objects pulled out with it!

Otherwise things are prone to "stay put" once they are settled in.

That means better hunting for me!

Waves from the open ocean are another matter of course and I doubt if these objects could be left in their niches for long with the pressures and currents these waves generate!

GL&HH Fellow Hunters,

CJ

very interesting question with great answers..thanks for the info..:detecting::thumbup::minelab:

Real interesting topic.

My opinion (humbly submitted) is that Gold or Platinum rings will sink into the sand relatively quickly at the loss site. Once they are more than about 4" deep they are mostly isolated from movement until and unless the sand is disturbed enough.

I would like to see more information (and opinions).

HH Joe

"When your at the beach and there are heavy seas............you know the ones.... where there are 10 foot waves crashing down at the tide line..."

Shuffler, just reading that line makes me salivate. Am I weird?

Harvdog