Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

? for South FL. waterhunters

SWMO Mark

I have always heard that sand moves off the beach into deeper water in the winter in South FL. What I would like to know is what month does it start to move out and what month it starts to return. Thanks, Mark

Depends on your latitude, but as a general average for the southern half of Florida's eastern coast, sand outflow begins about 4 hours preceding the first new moon after Christmas and the return inflow will start about noon on Tax Day. (april 15). That is, unless solar epi-perihelion is close to a lunar perihelion; in that case the effect is delayed about(!) a week (too many variables to be more exact if that occurs.
You can trust this answer because I am a Sedimentary Geologist.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself.
You are correct that sand in a very general sense moves off the beach in winter and back onto the beach in summer. This process is dominantly controlled by wave action, with the stronger winter storms creating more energetic waves that wash the sand offshore, and the gentler spring/summer waves pushing it back up onto the beach.
Not a very exact answer, I know, but it is all dependant on the weather. If you have strong storms earlier, the sand will move off sooner.
And it can vary quite a bit from beach to beach.

Champ Ferguson said:
Depends on your latitude, but as a general average for the southern half of Florida's eastern coast, sand outflow begins about 4 hours preceding the first new moon after Christmas and the return inflow will start about noon on Tax Day. (april 15). That is, unless solar epi-perihelion is close to a lunar perihelion; in that case the effect is delayed about(!) a week (too many variables to be more exact if that occurs.
You can trust this answer because I am a Sedimentary Geologist.

Dang Champ, you had me going--I was thinking, Ole Champ knows some stuff. LOL

Mark, (and this is solely my opinion + I have never hunted south Floriduh) if I were doing that, I would look at when the donors are going to be on the beach. As best that I can determine, the majority of beach jewelry finds on tourist beaches are pretty fresh drops, with a significant fraction in the dry sand. So I would use that as a guide more than sand movement.
If I were going for Treasure Fleet relics up the coast, I'd key in on sand movement, especially storms and wind direction.

Four years ago I spent a week down in SW Fl. Winds out of the NW made the Gulf far too rough to be getting in the water. Worked dry sand for the most part. Found lots and lots of pull tabs and bottle caps but very little of anything else. I did find one sterling ring that I thought was junk until I got it cleaned up. I also found an ear ring for a lady who apparently was not even able to say "Thank You". Even though she had been able to tell me the general vicinity where she had lost her ear ring. Right before I found her ear ring Her friend had grabbed a penny out of my scoop and stuck it in his pocket.

Up here on the Gulf, had various cuts to choose from, east / west. Hunting was pretty interesting. Big storm came through about a week ago. Beach's gained maybe 15 feet in width. Cuts erased. Until people flock back, things look dim.

We have a large shift in tide swings in the winter with higher wind changes coming more from the West and North. That pushes the tides even higher upon the beach. Those low tides causes more waves because it hits the build up of sand in front of the beach as well. A lot of that sand was pushed up in mounds from the summer. Its just removing it since you get a more natural long shore drift to the South. The larger the trough near shore the more waves may move up the beach too. I notice it starting late Oct.

Dew

Very timely topic. I am trying to decide on a trip to Florida next week. I will be my first trip to a Florida coast with a metal detector. In general are the sand conditions better on the East or West coast this time of year? Are there beach reconstruction projects going on now? Where? I assume reconstruction is not good for detecting, unless they are pumping from offshore in a treasure fleet area...correct? Any info appreciated. Thx.

I've hunted both east and west coasts Florida for past 5 yrs during the Winter. There are beach sand replenishment projects all over Florida on both coasts, so I would ask locals for details. Hunting replenished beaches does indeed suck, unless you want to meditate. On much of the east coast , from Daytona to Ft pierce at least, continuous heavy wave action limits water hunting to us few brave ones. If you're a land/beach based hunter, on either coast you'll be able to find well populated beaches to hunt, it may take some time and research. Be prepared for MANY metal detectorists on the beaches and those who succeed mush have certain advantages over all the others - larger coils for deeper targets, water based hunters, access to limited access beaches, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking forward to the trip and the new experience. Maybe pull tabs won't be the only rings we find. But a bad day detecting (hunting, fishing, dredging, etc.) is better than a good day at work.

Follow-up - Best time to water hunt for gold is during the Winter when sand is removed and one has access to deeper layers that contain shells and stones or clay. It's this stuff that slows the descent of gold to the center of the Earth. Best chance for gold is to work deep troughs up one side to up the other side, back-and-forth. I use my feet to feel for rough bed, signifying shells or rocks or clay. This is where the gold is. On long stretches of beach, you can look for deeper blue water near shore, along the trough, for ideal locations to hunt. Summer is when everyone loses gold in the water but before you can retrieve it it has already sunk past most detectors (8-12"or so) if there is any wave action at all.

2017 Finds:
2-Gold Rings
6-Silver Rings
1-Thomas Sabo Watch
693-US Coins
Excal II