Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For those on the fence ...Silver from the last couple of hunts.

burlbark

All coins where found from 4"-8" in nail infested trashy areas. V3i running mixed mode and the 10x12 sef. I did get skunked last weekend and no silver.

I find so many Wheat pennies its not worth cleaning up till the end of the year, unless they are a key date. I havent found any "solid" gold for a couple of months and I know my time is getting due.

I havent found any good relics in a while, new hunting ground has just opened up to us and that should be fun next weekend.

All the silver was found in areas that are open to metal detecting and have countless detectors pass over or around them. Lots of trash in the areas of good coins. There are nails every square inch in all the good spots and you need a detector that will tell you whats under the coil. I have found nothing better than the v3i.

Nice finds....so you're likin' that sef coil???? Ever used the smaller sef coil,,,,thinkin' bout tryin' one...what ya think??

MANDAD76 said:
Nice finds....so you're likin' that sef coil???? Ever used the smaller sef coil,,,,thinkin' bout tryin' one...what ya think??

I have the sef 12x15 and the sef 10x12 and use them as needed. The 12x15 goes deep and the 10x12 separates awesome. There are times I want a smaller coil and use my 5.3 Whites or the 4x6. I really need an in between coil but the SEF 8x6 is not v-rated and until then I guess I will hold off.

You say nail infested trashy sites using the 12x10 sef, so it is still pulling out the old coins ? I would think it would null out ? What am i doing wrong? I guess i need help . I thought thats why we use small coils for those areas.

Run the 5hz bandpass and mixed mode.

I pull the ferrous tone side off my ear a bit and swing slow, not slow enough, Slower!

You dont need the gain cranked up in those trashy areas.

Keep the gain around 4-5, disc 82-85 and recovery delay at 60.

I try to always run best data and any chirp gets investigated with a little wiggle. If it sounds promising it gets pinpointed and and little more investigation.

In this case experience counts. First I think Burlbark is running Stereo mixed mode. It can get real busy if you are not used to mixed mode especially in the trash. I actually like it.

The 6x8 is not optimized for the V3I but at the lower gains it would work fine if you don't need the 10x12 depth.

[size=large]Nice finds.[/size]

That's good to know the SEF 10x12 worked in those types of spots. And running in mixed mode to boot. Where you running a single frequency or multiple ?

Do you select the D2 coil for all the bigger SEF coils when assigning the coil to the V3i ? Also, are the bigger SEFs V rated ?

Rob (IL) said:
In this case experience counts. First I think Burlbark is running Stereo mixed mode. It can get real busy if you are not used to mixed mode especially in the trash. I actually like it.

The 6x8 is not optimized for the V3I but at the lower gains it would work fine if you don't need the 10x12 depth.

[size=large]Nice finds.[/size]

Rob is correct, I am running stereo mixed mode and when it gets to be to much stimulation I pull the ferrous tone slightly off my ear to quiet it down a bit. When I need to really investigate a target I can slip it down in the blink of an eye.

therover said:
That's good to know the SEF 10x12 worked in those types of spots. And running in mixed mode to boot. Where you running a single frequency or multiple ?

I usually have to run 3 frequency to keep the old forged nails from sounding to good. If I have hunted the area quite a bit and am lacking positive targets I will go to a single frequency.

The white SEF coils are v-rated and there has been some quality control issues in the past. It sounds like most of it has been worked out and your odds of getting a good one are much better.

I am still waiting on a v-rated 8x6", I dont know if they are going to make one but I would buy it. I may gamble and hope to get a good black one.

where are you detecting/located?

what are you GB #'s?

what does the ground read as far as mineralization, please?

I detect here in Northern California.

I dont pay much attention to any of the probe/mineralization numbers. I just run it as hot as I can while keeping it stable.

I rarely ever take the sef 10x12 off. I find things in trash, rusty junk and open fields.. Also the sef 8x6 works fine on the v3i if you run all 3 freq the 22.5 in 1 notch to the right of the other two freq. no biggie. For me the vx3 was more fun and i found plenty of silver. The v3i didnt find anything over the places i went with vx3 or mxtpro. However for some reason i did find some goodies,silver and gold over them places with my mx5. The v3i is a great machine but my thoughts are it took some of the fun out of detecting. Comparing several targets with a buddy and in my coin garden using mx5 it hit hard on all coin garden coins. Turn on set sens and it hit all of them. V3i turn on ground balance got one partial hit do some adjusting hit it better changed filters etc single freq made it hit better but didnt hit as hard as mx5 .. I know its capable. And im not stupid. But it wanted more out of our relationship than i was willing to give lol i guess i wasnt ready to settle down.

That's some good hunting Burlbark! Those "challenging" sites can be the most productive when you have the right equipment and the right strategy! Good job! Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Wow, Well done. Barbers are sweeeet.