Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

For you guys that use the Explorer Se...

xterranomore

do most/some of you run fast and deep on or what is the combination you use?
I have been hunting with fast on the last few hunts at my hunting partner's suggestion and it seems like it's changed the sound my detector makes?...or am i imagining it?
It just doesn't seem as smooth. Help please with suggestions.

I myself only run fast on in very trashy areas and i rarely even do then, it cuts the audio short, its not just you, its how it will sound, the option being selected on actually cuts the signal short or chops it. I suppose if you get used to it it wouldnt matter much but i defeniantly prefer it off.

Usually I don't use either but occasionally, depending on the conditions I'll use deep on only.
Bruce

I prefer to use Deep On and Fast Off.

FAST: This dictates how fast the circuitry can reset itself and be ready for the next target to analyze.
DEEP: This boosts the signals from deeper targets to help ensure you do not miss anything at the fringe of the Explorer's detection depth.

If you swing slow and I mean real slow as I do the need for "Fast On" is not needed but, the extra boost you can get from "Deep On" might just be the difference between picking up a faint coin on the fringe of the Explorers detection ability.

I hunted with fast and deep both ON for a full year...and did well.

I also hunted with Fast ON deep OFF for a while and did well.

Once I switched Fast and Deep BOTH OFF though...I started finding deep walked over silver and injun's like never before.

For me...fast ON clips the good signal short...and I don't like it.

It just simply "messes" with the sweet high conductive sounds warble... and when you are hunting with some iron mask it cuts that sweet sound short which is very detrimental when listening for that signal breaking through the silence of a junk or iron null.

Even in areas of dense trash I still leave it off and will sometimes STAND COMPLETELY STILL...and not even step forward...and not even swing the coil.

I absolutely "creep" the coil and don't even consider it swinging...just standing still in one spot while slowly "scanning" the ground with the coil.

Only after I feel I have given it a thorough and complete job of "trash sniffin'"...will I take a step forward.

For me deep ON distorts the signal too much...and I don't like it.

Deep ON simply affects weak target signals and "enhances" them while higher gain settings actually amplifiy the target audio response...so with a setting of 10 I am hearing said "weak" signals as loudly as possible with the SE.

I already have my gain jacked to 10...so there is no need for me to have deep ON anyway.

Most of my sites are devoid of any good signales at depths of less than 10" anyway...so I have absolutely no use for a modulated audio supplied by running lower gain. Again...i want to hear those deep weak signals as loud as I can.

Just my opinion and what I prefer.

Andy Sabisch's Explorer & E-Trac book is a wealth of knowledge and he personally explains many why's and why nots.

It also has settings from different hunters and the reasons they prefer those settings.

It might be the best $20 or so that you ever spend on metal detecting if you get the chance to pick one up.

Fast on does clip the audio short. You can use it when you want maximum separation and not so worried about depth, just remember to listen for the shorter clipped tones and not confuse them with iron false tones.
Neal

It gets choppy sounding with fast on. I don't use it either. Some people like it for separating better but I just slow down more.
If you can get used to the sound it could have it's advantsge I guess.
Like most people say though..."sound is the key on explorers"...so fast off for me!

You know, it's funny how we learn every time we go out on a hunt... I agree with Bryce, Deep and Fast off, for the same reasons he has, but the standing in one area and scanning as slow as molasses, that's when you really start learning what you are hearing. About three or four weeks ago I've been pounding my favorite park, which is and has been pounded for years. The problem with most hunters, they scan and walk at a steady pace, bit mistake, because your walking right by the deepies and those in between the trashy areas. So, four or more weeks ago I had I posted my finds from the last two months or so from the summer, and they were pretty good. The second phase started very slow... I silver a day for almost a week. I will post how many silver I've dug since, you will be surprised as much as I am at how much silver I dug... HH...

Philo

I've been hunting Deep+fast / off also and keeping a very slow pace but it looks like I need to also crank up my gain to 10 and start the old "trash sniffin". Seems like there is no such thing as too slow with the Explorers .

I really appreciate the responses. Bryce and Philo...I will try just standing almost still in heavy trashy spots and barely move the coil and see how it goes.
Thanks again.

Fast off/Deep off for me too! The only difference between my settings and Bryce's are that I keep the gain at the factory default. I hunt mainly by sound and I don't want all targets sounding the same. The deeper softer hits are the ones that really garner my attention.

As will I mate. I will sometimes use fast on but I am going to stick with them both off so the sound doesn't change.
I'm a slooow swinger anyway but I will slow down even more.