Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Forest Park St. Louis hunt: 2 Monkees, an Injun', 3 haircuts, and a horse:clapping:

Hotcz70

Yesterday 8/31/12..I needed a break from all the obvious "hoopla" lately:cool: as well as to be able to just relax and hunt...without any experimenting, comparing, taking notes, switching detectors, flagging undug targets...etc.

For cryin' out loud that's all I've done for the last two months or so...but from all the emails, and private messages from people, as well as the "thank you" post on the forum ...I know my Explorer/ctx3030 comparison was appreciated and my effort was respected...and I hope you all feel more than confident with your Explorer. I want to sincerely say THANK YOU to all of you who reached out to let me know.:angel:

Herein lies the problem...my girlfriend wanted to go to the St. Louis zoo for the afternoon...but I wanted to hunt.:rolleyes:

Well if any of you are married or have a girlfriend...you know they will get what they want from us almost every time...well every time if we know what's good for us and don't want to sleep on the couch.:biggrin:

I figured I would take my girlfriend and her daughter to the zoo for a while...then hunt Forest Park for a couple of hours before going back inside the zoo....unless she threw a fit.:cool:

Lucky for me she was okay for me stepping out of the zoo for a while and hunting for two hours or so.

It was also lucky for my friend Dave-IL who unbeknownst to Sheryl...drove on his own and was going to hunt and meet me there IF I was able to "slip away" from the zoo for a while.

Either way he was hunting...with or without me...but it was fun to hunt with him for a couple of hours.

Anyway as most of you know...the pickin's are very slim at Forest Park anymore unless you know where to go...and even then the pickins' are slim to none.

I was lucky enough to be shown around the park by Golddigger (Jim Walsh) and Mike many years ago and they were kind enough to show me many different spots where the dirt hadn't been moved around or fill dirt added.

This was some invaluable time for me because if you don't avoid many spots here...you will be wasting your time wandering around in 12" of fill dirt.

It's already very tough to get decent signals here anymore and much of the time is spent with the Explorer not making any sound at all. It's even worse when you realize after wandering around with zero signals for an hour...that you've been wasting your time over fill dirt anyway!:ranting:

As I said my day started off at the zoo...and wouldn't ya' know I ran into my buddy Darrel (Deeponedge) who was sipping on a cool beverage:smoke:...and his brother as well who was all slumped over in the corner from the heat.:)

[attachment 242685 zoomonkey.jpg] [attachment 242686 zoomonkey2.jpg]

I then decided to hunt before Sheryl changed her mind and starting griping at me for bringing my detector.:beers:

Even though I didn't get many signals to investigate...I did end up with some nice finds considering the limited time and lack of decent hits.

I started out with a nice pocket spill that initially sounded like a screwcap before digging. As I circled the hole though...the sound fluctuated up..."high warble"...then back down again.

As I started digging...I unearthed a lightbulb end ?? at about 7" deep then rescanned the hole. It now chirped with the high :silver warble" that ONLY Explorers can make.

From a couple inches deeper came this sweet 2 Barber pocket spill.

[attachment 242682 zoopocketfront2.jpg] [attachment 242683 zoopocketback.jpg]

A few minutes later I got the "wounded duck" warble and from surprisingly only 7" down came this old green, gunk coated Injun' which was standing straight up in the hole.

[attachment 242680 zooinjun.jpg]

I then chased a couple "crapper" signals before getting a warbling chirp that hit at only 2 angles as I circled the undug target...but it sounded so sweet and was very deep.

I dug down quite a ways but still couldn't find it. I nearly gave up and filled the hole back in but decided to chip away some at the bottom edge.

Thank goodness I did because it ended up being the 3rd Barber dime of the afternoon...this 1904 which was also prety much standing straight up.

[attachment 242678 zoo1front.jpg] [attachment 242677 zoo1back.jpg]

I never found wheatie and never had any more hits to investigate the last 30 minutes of the hunt.

A much needed stress relief with all that's going on with my pop's health...and Sheryl actually didn't complain too much about me hunting.

Here's what I ended up with....I'm thrilled with these finds...and just absolutely love this place because of it's history.

[attachment 242676 zooall.jpg]

My buddy Dave-IL also found a couple of keepers...a merc and an injun'.

This next pic is just a cheap plug for my pop's...who isn't feeling too great after heart surgery a few weeks ago.:(

This is me pictured below feeding a carrot to one of our better harness racing horses who is a real sweetheart...and since dad can no longer hunt with me because of his health...we have gotten pretty heavy back into our horses as our "together" hobby.:angel:

[attachment 242684 meandsweetie.jpg]

Thanks for viewing...and don't EVER feel like your Explorer XS, EX2, or SE can't still hunt with the new big dogs...because trust me...they can bark with the best of 'em....and sometimes EVEN LOUDER:super:

Say Hi to Dad and give him my best wishes . Nice going on a fantastic hunt . Carrot is a real beauty . Great pictures of the Primates too
( especially the one having a little chug ) .:thumbup::beers:

This is a prime example of a beaten-to-death / left-for-dead park giving life! Nice job. - Jim

GREAT hunt Bryce.........nice Barbers and from the sounds of things, a super girlfriend too...............:inlove:

Hawkeye Jim

Sometimes those old, hunted-to-death parks still give up some goodies. Using your ears paid off. Finding two barbers in a hole is awesome. And you got another one and an Indian too. Congrats! There's a pounded park nearby that, in the past, gave me a lot of silver and indians. Now I get skunked there all the time. But that doesn't stop me from going back there and trying to find more. Once in a while, I'll get lucky. Great job, Bryce.

Nice going on the trip Barber dimes Bryce.:cheers Glad the other fellows showed you the spots where there wasn't a lot of fill dirt. Tough to find any finds with 12 inches of fill dirt over the old ground even with a Minelab. Hope your dad is doing better. HH.

Eddie

Bryce ,,,,,, Nice hunt you had in Forest park ,,,, congrats on your finds ..... I sure wish I had known you were going there , it would of been an honor to hunt with you and try to learn a thing or two .!!!!....hope you enjoyed your stress relief ... Hope to run into you someday ,,,some where .....Keep up the good work

Nice hunt at the park and congrats on
the IH and the silvers. Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

make a lot of promises to Sheryl in order to be able to squeeze in the short hunt that I got.:cool:

No way she would have let me make plans to meet someone and hunt...'cause she knew I would have been gone a lot longer.:crylol:

Maybe some day we will get a chance to meet and hunt. It would be my pleasure. Maybe I could learn a thing or 2 from you as well:thumbup:

Bryce, great story and real nice job on those coins! Beautiful horse, hope your dad gets well real fast, and glad to hear you two have got other interests you can share for that father/son time. :beers:

Congratulations on the hunt and finds Bryce! Thanks for the great pictures.

NebTrac

Nice to have an understanding lady friend. Wish I could say the same...lol.
Good saves on the dimes and great pictures.

Congrats on the "stress break" and always nice to have an understanding lady involved:thumbup:
Cool and enjoyable post with some nice finds. Good luck to your dad...and from the horse pic it looks like you've been spending some time at the gym too!