Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Forget Oak Island, I broke the curse of Nickel Park

samandnoah

I hunt mostly city parks where I live in Texas. It's usually a nice collection of pull tabs, beavertails, bottle caps (I know they're caps before I dig 'em, but I need to get rid of them to get to deeper targets), and the occasional odds and ends. Oh, and clad. I've had some decent days of pulling up $3-$4 in clad when hitting a new park or a new section of a park. I've pulled a few silver coins from the ground, BUT that has only been when hunting up in New England when I'm visiting family. I've never pulled one from a park locally.

Didn't see the prog settings...

I would venture to guess that the park has been "cherry picked" for higher-conducting signals - if Texas is anything like Tennessee then nickels will be found in great abundance in most places! Since they are so conductively simliar to aluminum trash a lot of people don't have the patience or time to sift through VDIs to get nickels - and probably want better bragging rights if running a program that discrimninates out everything at a zincoln and below...at times I have been one of those people!

But with the Deus - like you said before - it's a little different. The sheer versatility of this machine makes it possible to hunt whatever you want at the time; whether it be silver dimes or better -OR- nickels only on another day. When I used my CZ detector a few years ago and went hunting older schools I almost always found a TON of nickels while some tabs and beavertails came through. That machine would really pick through the Al trash for nickels - better than anything else I used before!!! I didn't mind, and still don't mind digging a lot of trash most of the time unless I'm at an old homesite where time is a factor. I remember that finding silver used to be a hootin-an-hollerin event for me since it was so rare. But I was competing with most likely a BUNCH of cherrypickers...

The biggest difference I see with the Deus over other detectors (and this is just my observation) is that it can find smaller non-ferrous items DEEPER, mixed with, and/or under iron targets. I know this is what the Deus was designed for...but observing this trait in the field really gives me confidence that if I get my coil over a coin 8" deep or less, on "2" reactivity - then chances are almost 100% I will get it. The more I use this detector, the more SMALLER items I am seeing at depth. This is why, in my opinion, the Deus is such a great machine!

Recently I've been meandering (no gridding or systematic hunting) through the old fairgrounds site close to home and have been pulling 1-3 silvers every time, and at least 1 Wheat...each hunt ranges from 2-4hours each. Relics have been found here -so I don't notch anything except 1-10 and 97-00. I get a lot of tabs, but overall there is a big variance in what you CAN find there - ranging from 7" deep zincolns to 2" deep silver quarters. It's 30 acres of chaos but the finds keep on coming! :beers:

Here are the program settings and a couple of photos. Note, I typically run at Reactivity = 1, but do adjust to 3 when needed. Note, when you go back down to Reactivity = 1 you need to adjust the silencer back down if you don't want the default setting of 3. I'm finding a lower silencer works better for me. Yes, there are times it feels like my ears are bleeding, but I usually want the additional information at this point.

Rich