Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors CoRe & 4.7" x 5.2" ( oor) Coil gets the job done.

OregonGregg

Went down to Wells, NV. area for a week on Monte's WTHO outing # 12. The whole week I used only one machine and one coil and that was the Fors CoRe and 4.7" x 5.2" coil.

Of the 130 or so Trade tokens I have found, I have found every denomination except a 12 1/2 cent token. For some reason, I could never snag one. Also, the years that we have been going to NV. I also wanted a " Nevada" trade token and have had not very good luck at that as well, until this last trip. I guess if you're going to do it, might as kill two birds with one stone. I also found a maverick token which originated from Wells. It is " Bong Tong" and has a large 5 on the back.

Those were my two favorite finds from the trip. Also found was a 17 Merc, 16 Barber dime, a worn very thin 1845 seated dime, a no date rough shield nickel, a nice Eagle button, and a large bullet. Along with all the other ghost town doodads.

The 12 1/2 cent token came outta the ground encrusted with that calcium, lime-like stuff that is near impossible to remove so I had to give it the special cleaning. In doing so the token ends up looking like new but is about the only way to get that stuff off. Over the next year, it will darken up quite a bit naturally. However, I was pleased after cleaning as the token was in nice condition.

In one pic I have the bullet sitting on a penny, it's almost the diameter of the penny. The other two bullets are finds from the past and used as a comparison.

It was a fun trip, got to meet some new people as well as some familiar faces from past outings.

Attachments

• 20200531_090251.jpg
    20200531_090251.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200531_155422.jpg
    20200531_155422.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200531_155412.jpg
    20200531_155412.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20200604_142204.jpg
    20200604_142204.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200604_123643.jpg
    20200604_123643.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 165
  • 20200607_065843.jpg
    20200607_065843.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 20200607_065719.jpg
    20200607_065719.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 160
I own and use a number of detectors, but my get serious Duo of units for those really tough iron contaminated ghost towns are the Nokta FORS CoRe w/'OOR' DD and FORS Relic w/5" DD. It doesn't surprise me you devoted all your hunt time to using just your CoRe. It's been rewarding you well for 5 years now as has my team done for me.

Your photos where nice to show the old artifacts we can recover on these outings, but it may have taken a couple more that show the terrain we hunt and the amount of iron contamination we deal with.

It was a great time even though some of our regular participants we're not able to make it due to the virus issues, but we averaged 17 to 25 for those first 11 outings and still pulled 19 attendees on this 12th WTHO..

I would hope some followers here on Finds Treasure Forums would find interest in joining these outings, that are open to anyone, but call for taking on some very iron contaminated Old Town sites. It does take patience, using a good detector and small coil, and working slowly and methodically to unmask the keepers amongst the Sea of iron.

Congratulations Gregg on your success. If we're lucky, we might still be able to work in one more group outing before the year's ends.

Monte

Great hunt Gregg. Wish I could have made it to the hunt. First I've missed in about 5 years. I'll catch you on the next one.

Hey Tom, how ya been?? ya wish you could have made it as well. It was a fun time down there.

Tom, many of us missed your presence. Sure hope you make the next Outing(s).

Monte

Super finds. The CoRe and the OOR coil in DI3 mode is also my favorite combo for hard to reach places where I know silver coins can be found.

Thanks, Mike, ya the CoRe and small coil is a tough one to beat when hunting in those iron filled, rusted tin sites.

In the ugliest of iron debris challenges, I definitely rely on the Nokta CoRe w/'OOR' DD or Nokta Relic w/5" DD. There are other makes and modls that can do pretty well, but in the toughest of challenges I still haven't found a detector and coil combo that can edge out the Core and relic.

Some can come close in nasty iron, such as a Makro Racer or Racer 2 w/'OOR' or 5" DD coils they share, or 5" DD on an Impact, Kruzer or Anfibio or an XP ORX or Deus with the right frequency and settings choices and the 5X9½ HF DD coil. Some other units can put up a challenge as well, like a Teknetics T2+, but for durability, simplicity, and absolute 'best-of' performance, my CoRe and Relic are assigned the duty of dealing with dense iron conditions. Better than using a detector that only 'comes close'.

Monte