Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors Core -(Discrimination?)

ronhob

So does the nokta fors core actually have an adjustable disc., or is it all preset modes? Notch disc. setting? Adjustable disc. starting in iron and discriminating everything up to the stopping point you choose?

yes, adjustable disc. No preset, no notch.

3 tone disc is max?
Good , bad and indifferent targets?
How does that help in a site with lots of modern trash?
Is the TID that stable and precise when considering the ground matrix?
I believe I'll have to see that to believe it.

sprchng said:
3 tone disc is max?
Ya better believe it! Different detector, simple powerful, and the coils or something is like you've never seen. The TID is as accurate as I've ever seen in VERY heavy trash. Never had a machine dissect a place so meticulously and ID there also in more trash than you can imagine. You turn this machine on and switch to whatever mode you want, GB and go. Very simple but finds the stuff you want.

Yes I too was wondering about the disc settings. For example on my MXT Pro or M6 with its variable disc control knob I can just set it to knock out a nail. I was wondering if that is possible to do with the Nokta Machines. Or will this be a case where an ol" dog has to learn new tricks :) Anyhow, I really do want to try a Nokta machine, from what I have seen and read they seem to be a standout machine. Now I gotta decide if I want the FORS CoRe or Racer ?? The Racer appears to have about the same Modes and settings ?? I really want to give one a try out in some of the iron infested ghost towns I hit and this Spring, a group of us are doing a 7-9 day trip down in Nevada hiting several old ghost towns and sites. Would be an opportune time to give the Nokta a workout. And off topic, kinda neat to have a red machine whereas everything else I own is black.

JFlynn said:
sprchng said:
3 tone disc is max?
Ya better believe it! Different detector, simple powerful, and the coils or something is like you've never seen. The TID is as accurate as I've ever seen in VERY heavy trash. Never had a machine dissect a place so meticulously and ID there also in more trash than you can imagine. You turn this machine on and switch to whatever mode you want, GB and go. Very simple but finds the stuff you want.

Can you show or provide me with a link to a video showing this stability , something along the line of a stable nickel VDI on a nickel surrounded by foil , can slaw and pulltabs with a differentiating tone to match ?

Hi Sprchng,

This is the closest that I could find. And granted there is a lot of variables involved, such as rather the person had the ability to set up each machine to have peak performance etc etc and etc.
At best its a fun vid to watch. What he does is bury a dime at 6.5 inches and then lay a nail on top of the dime and then fills the hole back up. He then uses I think 5 higher dollar machines and sees which ones do the best. But watch when he does use the Fors CoRe it did pretty darn good all things considered.
Anyhow here is the link.
gregg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2ovwAnJKsA

Thanks for the link Gregg but the ferrous/high conductor separation doesn't really translate to the modern trash public site scenario very well not to mention the parameters the video guy was using. I think that still leaves a guy in a basically beep and dig situation in a public park with three tones when one of them is going to be most likely iron--I don't care about iron as the greatest masker I have to deal with is nonferrous junk. I'm not saying it won't find coins by any means , but your going to dig alot of trash to get them just like the Deus.

Can the CoRe tell a nickel from modern trash with a tone when the VDI is being skewed by the trash and ground---I think not
I think it may be an up and coming kick butt relic machine but not really a modern park and jewelry hunter but i'd sure like to find one to try.

You better think again, I've never had a machine ID so good in the trashiest place you can imagine and isolate the target and have 2,3,4 pieces of metal in the plug or in the ground the plug came out of. Modern trash was my nemesis trying to run my Deus. After 2 years it couldn't handle the amount of stuff in the ground here and I couldn't handle the low number of finds either. I'm amazed at the precision the CoRe slices a place up. With ID too and a great modulating sound in DI3. This is a TID watchers dream machine imo using DI2, in DI3 it's in the ears then TID for a second quick check before digging. I've never had a machine that locks on to a target in trash like this does and I've had a bunch of machines. I'm going to try and make a video and record inside my headphones while detecting. Coming soon.............

Well Sprchng,
I am gonna have to disagree a bit about your statement. Separating a nonferrous target from a ferrous target is one thing but to separate a "bad" nonferrous target from a "good" nonferrous target...........well hell, your asking for almost the impossible. Granted silver dimes, quarters ,halves and dollars might be a bit more obvious as far as tones and VDI #'s but lets take smaller gold rings, gold cuff link and earrings to name a few and then throw in a modern nickel, old nickel, a dollar gold coin and then to top it off lets scatter in some alum screw tops, pulltabs, prytabs etc. I don't care if your swinging an Ace 150 or a Deus, If I were to take ten nonferrous targets, five of them being "good" nonferrous targets such as a few nickels, smaller gold ring and say a gold cuff link and then I chose five "bad" nonferrous targets, Screw tops, pulltabs,prytabs etc. and then place them individually in small plastic containers so that you can not see them. I would randomly place then on the ground and ask you to use any machine with any coil with your settings and i bet not once could you correctly identify all ten targets. I could rearrange them dozens of times and I bet not once could all ten be correctly identified. ie: of all the 100 great nickel readings that i get, i'm lucky if five of them actually turn out to be a nickel.
Maybe Monte will chime in on this. Last summer he presented that same exact test to a group of us. Taking 21 different nonferrous targets and asking us to identify the good targets from the bad targets. Of all the people that tried, the best result was someone did get almost 50%
And your question "can a CoRe tell a nickel from modern trash ?" my question is , is there any machine that can. You invent that machine and ....well I would guess you would be pretty rich.

Here is the same thing being done with the DFX. Doesn't take much to duplicate the iron nail trick. I think the question here is more about trashy sites. I.E. pull tabs, foil, screw caps and the ability to discriminate out the trash and still hit the coins ro like the Compadre where you can only dial up to a point and miss everything below it.

DFX vs rusted nail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVzW5B5mMr0

You're making my point Gregg.
With all the ebullient grandiose syncophantic praise , that's exactly what I would expect from the CoRe.
Post after post of how it does what no other machine does but no proof yet. Hope it's coming
The Deus arrived with the same flare and it's OKAY but it's also lacking , that's the one thing in Flynn's post I can believe because I've experienced the same thing.

I guess being more specific, if we are only seeking coins, then yes you can discriminate the good nonferrous target ( the coin) from a bad nonferrous target ( say a pulltab) yes I would say that can be done................but at what expense. I can turn up my disc on my machine and eliminate some of the junk but I have also eliminated a pretty good range of "good" nonferrous targets as well including a nickel.

I can see what Flynn is saying, the ability of the machine to find a nonferrous target among the sea of ferrous targets and the machines ability to find the target even if being masked by a ferrous target.

I apologize if I am not quite grasping your question. But I have yet to this day see a machine that will separate good and bad nonferrous targets. ie: a nickel is a nickel and a pulltab is a pulltab. Every machine I have seen and used will give "suggestions" of what a target might be,rather through a tone or VDI number. A lot of the time the "suggestion" is right and then again a lot of the time the suggestion as to what the target might be is wrong. Example being there were four of us hunting a site that had some old history and today it is a park. We were all close together hunting and the one friend got a perfect zinc penny reading and called out "there's a penny here if anyone wants it" The other friend that was closes walked over swung his coil over and yes he also got a nice reading and his machine also "suggested" that it was indeed a zinc penny. Now the good part, he dug it. It turned out to be a rare token from the Fort that occupied that area 150 years ago.

But I have yet to this day see a machine that will separate good and bad nonferrous targets. ie: a nickel is a nickel and a pulltab is a pulltab.

I only own one besides my old ADS 4, the AT Pro, that will not separate good and bad nonferrous targets and it still has the ability to notch around trash. Even the DFX gives you 191 target segments to choose to except or reject individual numbers. For example, you can accept 19-21 and reject the rest and you'll find pretty much only nickles. Yes you will find the occasional tab, but most hit 22-24. On the E-Trac you can also set it to reject most common trash while still picking up coins in both the nickle and clad and above range.

I realize some people like a beep-N-dig machine, and they do work great for relics, but myself I'm a picker. I don't have the luxury of hours of digging everything. My recoveries need to count.

The nuances are what counts with tHis machine. Great nuances Mind you. Let the machine teach you what it can do. Inevitably to begin with you will dig a lot of stuff. The I'd is spectacular compared to an Etrac and that's saying a lot.

JFlynn said:
The nuances are what counts with tHis machine. Great nuances Mind you. Let the machine teach you what it can do. Inevitably to begin with you will dig a lot of stuff. The I'd is spectacular compared to an Etrac and that's saying a lot.

Waiting to see that video (with audio of course) demonstrating those nuances over a nickel and a gold ring in a bed of pull tabs.
Like Southwind , my detecting seldom involves picking CW buttons out of a bed of nails which I'm sure the CoRe excels at. For those occasions the CTX with 6" coil and the Deus will just have to suffice until I am shown otherwise.

Not to pick on you Southwind :) and let me state that in fact I have read a lot of your posts over the last several years. You have used a lot of machines over those years. My favorite post being the story you told of hunting the ball park. All your friends were getting new machines and you got the Eagle Spectrum. Long story short you cleaned everyones clock with that ol Eagle Machine :)

But just referring to your above post only, when I see a post like that , I think to myself that is the person I want to hunt behind. Sure you will snag the "creampuff" coins, coins that are horizontal and not effected by other nearby targets. That nicely fall within your predetermined range of acceptable targets. However, what about the coins that are say lying more vertical or canted, or the coins that are effected by other targets (masking) and the list goes on. Most the old coins I have found have been so far off of what their stated VDI value should be.

The second to last hunt , Nov. 5th, that I got to do before the ground froze and the snow hit I was working an old ghost town. I finally got a crappy choppy/broken up signal. You could tell the machine was working hard to reject the ferrous junk. But I would also just briefly get a positive signal that would hit in the low 40's ( using White's VDI numbers) I had numbers jumping all around. So as I do outta habit I kicked away some of the dirt above the target and checked again. The signal improved a bit, getting a crap/choppy 60's reading. I kicked away some more dirt above where I was getting the crappy signal and checked it again and just briefly of all the numbers jumping around one would hit 82. I thought to myself, maybe just maybe I might have an old quarter down there. Set the machine aside and carefully dug down. I reached the target at about 3 1/2" and I was happy it was a coin. It was sitting almost vertical and surround by bits and pieces of ferrous junk, rusted tin etc. But it wasn't a quarter. It was a 1903 Barber Half.

But ya Southwind I hear what you are saying. Sometimes if I ever do hit a park I'll do some cherry picking and then there are times I might hunker down and go after more targets. That's the beauty of detecting, there are no hard and fast rules. A person can hunt any way they chose to. Its just a fun hobby. I really enjoy loading up my two mutts and heading out and exploring some great areas.

ut just referring to your above post only, when I see a post like that , I think to myself that is the person I want to hunt behind. Sure you will snag the "creampuff" coins, coins that are horizontal and not effected by other nearby targets. That nicely fall within your predetermined range of acceptable targets.

LOL Hey I don't blame you I would feel the same way had I saw a post like mine, but rest assured I've done my time of digging all the possibilities. At this point in my detecting its all a matter of fun so I really enjoy finding keepers and leaving the rest. Sure I realize I might be missing some, but at this point its all about having fun not cleaning a place out. If that makes sense? That is why a detector with very precise and accurate ID'ing and the ability for precise discrimination is my main priority.

but your going to dig alot of trash to get them just like the Deus.

Keep in mind the Deus is a full blown relic machine we choose to hunt differently with. That's why you dig a lot of trash with it. It's strong point is the ferrous/conductive decisiveness it has. Where the machine came from they really don't care what the ID is hardly. Thousands of years of civilization to plunder through in the ground over there. Here we have canslaw..................lot's of it! The Deus is not a trashy park machine for that reason.

The I'd is spectacular compared to an Etrac and that's saying a lot.

That is saying a LOT. The Etrac has been the most accurate I have used. I would like to see some video too......Especially on a deeper low conductor like a 6" nickel. Most detectors can seems to get an accurate ID on them if they have any depth to them.