Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors CoRe finally got me some silver

dfmike

After almost a year of finding old penny after old penny and a few large cents (about 25 in all), the CoRe finally got me a trio of silver dimes in a short 3 hour hunt. I've been to this place time and time again and it is very challenging as it is loaded with rusty bottle caps and the woods are very dense. I often pop 2 bottle caps out of the same 5-6" diameter plug. Sometimes caps are mixed with nails or other iron bits and old rusty tin can debris. The upside is that there is no modern trash. Moving slowly and using a small coil is the only way to go and every time I get a solid hit of 82+ with no distortion in the high tone, I dig and most of the time it's a penny. This time my 2 first targets were silver dimes. The other one came later (a 1940, 1943 and 1950). My last find was hiding under the roots of a small tree and I initially thought it was a large cent. When I saw the profile of King George V without the crown and Britannia holding the trident, I knew that one wasn't Canadian. It turned out to be a 1912 British half penny. It's quite a find for me and I might never find one again. There's a 1924 wheat in there and there seems to be a mint mark but I can't make it out through the oxidation. There's also a 1937 nickel and a 1936 penny. The lipstick case is quite nice. I found three in these woods so far and this is the only one that had the lipstick still intact. It was probably sealed from oxygen in the ground. The smell is still quite pungent ! A beautiful lady probably dropped this in the 40's or 50's as most of the deeper stuff I find here dates from that era. Finding a rusty bottle opener here was quite ironic.

The CoRe really shines in areas like this. It has great unmasking capabilities and the sound information in 3 tone mode is quite something. I know when I have a bottle cap under the coil just by the distortion in the sound. I do occasionally get fooled but not very often. Good headphones are mandatory with this machine.

I used the small 5" coil with sensitivity at 95. GB was 68 and ID masking was set at 49.

I've been told time and time again that this place was hunted out...by Garrett users ! Ha !

Attachments

• finds-oct001.jpg
    finds-oct001.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 192
  • finds-oct002.jpg
    finds-oct002.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 220
  • finds-oct003.jpg
    finds-oct003.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 214
  • finds-oct004.jpg
    finds-oct004.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 190
After almost a year of finding old penny after old penny and a few large cents (about 25 in all), the CoRe finally got me a trio of silver dimes in a short 3 hour hunt. I've been to this place time and time again and it is very challenging as it is loaded with rusty bottle caps and the woods are very dense. I often pop 2 bottle caps out of the same 5-6" diameter plug. Sometimes caps are mixed with nails or other iron bits and old rusty tin can debris. The upside is that there is no modern trash. Moving slowly and using a small coil is the only way to go and every time I get a solid hit of 82+ with no distortion in the high tone, I dig and most of the time it's a penny. This time my 2 first targets were silver dimes. The other one came later (a 1940, 1943 and 1950). My last find was hiding under the roots of a small tree and I initially thought it was a large cent. When I saw the profile of King George V without the crown and Britannia holding the trident, I knew that one wasn't Canadian. It turned out to be a 1912 British half penny. It's quite a find for me and I might never find one again. There's a 1924 wheat in there and there seems to be a mint mark but I can't make it out through the oxidation. There's also a 1937 nickel and a 1936 penny. The lipstick case is quite nice. I found three in these woods so far and this is the only one that had the lipstick still intact. It was probably sealed from oxygen in the ground. The smell is still quite pungent ! A beautiful lady probably dropped this in the 40's or 50's as most of the deeper stuff I find here dates from that era. Finding a rusty bottle opener here was quite ironic.

The CoRe really shines in areas like this. It has great unmasking capabilities and the sound information in 3 tone mode is quite something. I know when I have a bottle cap under the coil just by the distortion in the sound. I do occasionally get fooled but not very often. Good headphones are mandatory with this machine.

I used the small 5" coil with sensitivity at 95. GB was 68 and ID masking was set at 49.

I've been told time and time again that this place was hunted out...by Garrett users ! Ha !
Congrats --Just keep on a diggin' & more goodies will surface from their dark hidden place! :thumbup: Ma

Way-to-go! It's always good to get into a rewarding site and pluck multiple 'keepers.'

My FORS CoRe keeps the small 'OOR' DD coil mounted full-time, and my FORS Relic wears th 5" DD. Those two models and coils are my #1 use detectors or any heavy iron contaminated site, be it an abundance of Iron Nails or the added annoyance of rusty tin, bottle caps and other ferrous-based junk. For part of my regular-carry Daily-Use Team of detectors I also rely on my Nokta / Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric and the surprisingly efficient Simplex + w/5X9½ DD.

It looks like winter's coil will arrive here in far Eastern Oregon USA in about a week so my detecting season will end soon, unless I take a winter-time trip somewhere. I would guess your's might end soon as well, depending on what chunk of up-north you'r in. I hope you and the CoRe can get out some more soon.

Monte

Way-to-go! It's always good to get into a rewarding site and pluck multiple 'keepers.'

My FORS CoRe keeps the small 'OOR' DD coil mounted full-time, and my FORS Relic wears th 5" DD. Those two models and coils are my #1 use detectors or any heavy iron contaminated site, be it an abundance of Iron Nails or the added annoyance of rusty tin, bottle caps and other ferrous-based junk. For part of my regular-carry Daily-Use Team of detectors I also rely on my Nokta / Makro Racer 2 w/7" Concentric and the surprisingly efficient Simplex + w/5X9½ DD.

It looks like winter's coil will arrive here in far Eastern Oregon USA in about a week so my detecting season will end soon, unless I take a winter-time trip somewhere. I would guess your's might end soon as well, depending on what chunk of up-north you'r in. I hope you and the CoRe can get out some more soon.

Monte
Thanks Monte. At this time of the year winter is usually upon us although it's been so unpredictable these last few years. We usually get our first snow during the first part of November in Quebec Canada. Snow is not really my concern as it melts away before we really get into snow storms in early December. Frozen ground is more of a problem. Night temps have been below freezing these past few days so the ground is probably already frozen to about 1 inch. No problem for a good shovel from Predator Tools but when it gets to the 3-4 inch mark, it's all over. I still have a few weekends of detection ahead of me hopefully.

The CoRe strikes again one week later.

With my first silver quarter of the year (1960) and another silver dime (1947). I also found the usual pennies and wheats from the 30's to the 60's. I was using the same great FC13 5" DD coil, DI3, sensitivity at 98, ID mask at 49 and ground balance at 71.

Attachments

• finds-nov001.jpg
    finds-nov001.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 171
It's simple logic, knowing your detector plus knowing your hunting area gives you a big advantage on the rest of the field, nice hunting.
The biggest advantage I have is simply achieved by using that small coil. The deep detectors with the standard coils have all been here. The easy to pick targets are long gone.

Attachments

• FC13.jpg
    FC13.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 144
Congrats on the nice finds Mike. Glad to see your Fors CoRe is getting the job done :) The little coil stays on my CoRe 95% of the time in the sites I hunt. Great combo.

where in canada are you? I used to hunt in toronto a lot. tons of targets.

where in canada are you? I used to hunt in toronto a lot. tons of targets.
La belle province (Quebec). I'm closer to Montreal than Quebec city though.

Congrats on the nice finds Mike. Glad to see your Fors CoRe is getting the job done :) The little coil stays on my CoRe 95% of the time in the sites I hunt. Great combo.
It's the only coil that allows me to distinguish between a rusty bottle cap and a coin just by the distortion in the high tone on a bottle cap. It makes a squawking sound that reminds me of our Canadian geese. It's not 100 percent guaranteed and I get fooled once in a while but not often. On silver or copper, there is absolutely no distortion. Just for kicks, last Saturday I put my new Mars 7" round coil on the CoRe just to see what it could do. I immediately knew I had made a mistake. I started pulling caps out of the ground. I came home with a few pennies and a dozen bottle caps. The next day I swapped for the FC13 again and came home with these silver coins and a single decomposing cap and this was in the same area where bottle caps abound. The Mars coil will have its place where I know that caps are not a real problem and I need a little more depth but here, that small coil is king.

Yep good little coil. As it starts to hit the cap or rusted tin it will start to throw a low tone and then jump to the high tone creating the "squawk" sound. Funny it seems we had the same experience with the Mars 7" round coil.
I tried one a few years back. Started detecting and it took less than 10 minutes to realize this was not a good coil. All rusted tin pieces etc sound great and would throw great VDI's to go with it. It eliminated the clues and was just very annoying to use. I took it off after 10 mins and went back to the small coil. The Mars coil was on ebay the next day.

La belle province (Quebec)
Have you found any Cad large pennys yet? I found quite a few, including 3 of the "rare" 1894s). Its cool when you pull out a big penny

Have you found any Cad large pennys yet? I found quite a few, including 3 of the "rare" 1894s). Its cool when you pull out a big penny
I found a few this past summer. A 1911, 1915 and a 1906. I found a 1892 last year in a different area. Stuff from the 1800's is hard to come by where I'm detecting now. I love pulling them out too but never as much as a silver coin.

Yep good little coil. As it starts to hit the cap or rusted tin it will start to throw a low tone and then jump to the high tone creating the "squawk" sound. Funny it seems we had the same experience with the Mars 7" round coil.
I tried one a few years back. Started detecting and it took less than 10 minutes to realize this was not a good coil. All rusted tin pieces etc sound great and would throw great VDI's to go with it. It eliminated the clues and was just very annoying to use. I took it off after 10 mins and went back to the small coil. The Mars coil was on ebay the next day.
Tested the FC24 5.5 X 9.5 coil on the CoRe again in the same area. I found a few wheats, old Canadian pennies and two silver dimes but I got fooled by a lot more bottle caps than with the small FC13. I'm quite sure the FC24 will go deeper and it covers more ground of course but my ability to separate the good from bad targets suffers just as much as when I use the Mars coil. There is nothing like that small 5" coil in trashy areas such as this. I quickly put it back on the detector. I hope to go back soon but we have snow now and I don't know if it will melt or stay for the winter.

Tested the FC24 5.5 X 9.5 coil on the CoRe again in the same area. I found a few wheats, old Canadian pennies and two silver dimes but I got fooled by a lot more bottle caps than with the small FC13. I'm quite sure the FC24 will go deeper and it covers more ground of course but my ability to separate the good from bad targets suffers just as much as when I use the Mars coil. There is nothing like that small 5" coil in trashy areas such as this. I quickly put it back on the detector. I hope to go back soon but we have snow now and I don't know if it will melt or stay for the winter.
I have other makes and model I enjoy using for mostly urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting, an keep favored coils attached. But when it comes to taking the older sites where I know I'll be dealing with dense iron nails and a lot of other congested ferrous rubbish, I rely on my two very proven performers, the Nokta FORS Relic with the small 5" DD and FORS Core.with that nifty small 'OOR' DD coil. I have the FR24 5X9½ DD but it pends most of its time in my Accessory Coil Tote because when I get into modest amounts of debris I'll grab my Simplex + w/5X9½ DD, or maybe one of my complementary units with a 5X8 DD mounted.

The ground is mostly frozen here now and unless we get a few days of a banana-belt express to warm it up it might be another two months before we can get any real hunt-time in. Still don't need the 14X24 around here (snow shovel) but you never know. Just too cold.

Monte

Ya Mike these high gain "hot rod" machines do like the rusted tin, caps and flat iron. One thing you can try that works well, especially with the smaller 5" coil, because it is small and you can do this trick fast, is if you think you might have a crown cap, chunk flat iron etc, but is giving a good tone, is back the coil off a bit. By that I mean sweep the target using the tip of the coil ie: the area between the very tip and the Nokta logo on the small coil. If it's non-ferrous it will continue to give a good tone. If it's junk it will fall right off and give an iron tone.

Trick Monte taught me.

Ya Mike these high gain "hot rod" machines do like the rusted tin, caps and flat iron. One thing you can try that works well, especially with the smaller 5" coil, because it is small and you can do this trick fast, is if you think you might have a crown cap, chunk flat iron etc, but is giving a good tone, is back the coil off a bit. By that I mean sweep the target using the tip of the coil ie: the area between the very tip and the Nokta logo on the small coil. If it's non-ferrous it will continue to give a good tone. If it's junk it will fall right off and give an iron tone.

Trick Monte taught me.
That works on the F19/G2+ as well and since I mainly rely on TID on the Fisher machines, I use that trick. In DI3 on the CoRe I prefer relying on the sound than on the ID though. With the small coil I can get a good solid hit on bottle caps from only one direction. If I turn 90 degrees and distortion sets in or the sound crackles, I know it's not copper or silver. Sometimes when I turn and swing the coil, the sound will completely disappear. There's so much more info in the sound of the CoRe in DI 3 than many other detectors I have used. It becomes invaluable in super trash when one can only cherry pick high conductors. In places like this if I start digging everything past iron I will be on my knees forever.

I rely on the audio response primarily, with every detector I use , but it's especially true with both the CoRe and Relic. Those two models, using their smaller coil, work quite well and I rely on their visual Target ID less then I do on any other detector I own.

Even with my Simplex + I take a look at the visual display more often than with those other two devices. There's something about using those two and learning their audio when working in ferrous debris that make them so appealing.

Monte