Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors CoRe on the salty beach

Flbchbm

Took my new machine to the beach today to see how it would perform with the salt water interference. I spent about five hours trying to learn everything I could. The machine ground balanced at 00 in COG mode, which is the only mode that would ground balance on the wet sand. Once ground balanced, it maintained that ground balance number regardless of the mode I was in. All modes seemed to work to some extent but COG was the best. You definitely want to have at least a little bit of ID masking set or the machine will chatter and false quite a bit. I used 15 to hopefully gain some sensitivity over the preset of 40. I tried Sensitivity settings of 70 to 99 and finally settled on 85 as a compromise that kept falsing to a minimum. I found that there were targets that were deeper than I wanted to dig but suspect that they were probably large iron as they signalled strongly beyond 12 inches deep with no sign of the target. I had my T-rex digger, which is not the best choice for digging much below 12 inches unless you want a very large hole in width. I wasn't ambitious enough to do that today. I would estimate my deepest coin was a zlincoln at about 6 inches. The sand was wet and hard packed. Most of the coins I collected were pretty corroded, so had been in the ground for at least a while. Looked to me like most of the summer sand deposits are gone at this part of the beach. I found that the ID numbers were less solid than when hunting dry land. I suppose between the salt and the degree of corrosion, it is unreasonable to expect anything different. Shallow, uncorroded coins did ID as one would expect. Did not find any jewelry. Found a couple bobby pins and bottle caps, along with some rusted wire. Also, a lot of small bits of corroded metal, 1/4 inch fragments that looked to be iron but I haven't looked closely at them to verify that. Anyway, it was a fun outing and I learned a lot. Not sure how it stacks up to the PI detector. It is nice to have the ID numbers to go by but there were coins that fell outside of the usual ID range so you definitely risk missing good stuff if you don't dig everything. In that regard, the PI detector is probably going to have the advantage here. That might be offset by the coil, as the DD coils is going to cover more ground than the round coil on the PI if one is being thorough. Next time I think I will take both detectors to the beach and try them side by side. Should be interesting.

Nice write up on your hunt with experiences seen.

The corroded coins-- with the embedded salt, dis figuration and rough edges probably make it more difficult for the detector to ID.

I would say a PI detector factors out the alkaline much better and would be a better system for salty water and sand. But a lot of folks don't have budgets to have a specific detector for each circumstance so we settle on a compromise to a degree.

Now with your write up you set sensitivity much higher than what I have heard some users that beach hunt do. I have heard set sensitivity to around 30 and go from there. Not saying in the least your method or settings are wrong, just different from what I have heard. But if you get results and not a lot of chattering and falsing I say "Tallyho" and go forth.

Nice write up!

With the machine set on COG, ground balance 00, ID mask of 15 and sensitivity of 85 the detector was silent on the wet to damp sand except for targets or a very occasional "tick" , on that beach, on that day. So silent that several times I would move the coil close to my digger to make sure it was working!

I was pretty happy with the way this detector performed on the beach, and it is awesome at the park. So, if you want a detector that does both and you don't have a budget for two detectors, the Nokta should be on your list for consideration.

This detector is still very new to me and I have a lot to learn about it but it is really easy to use and gets results right out of the box.

Can't wait to get this baby on the beach this year! Thanks for the settings you used and write up. I will certainly take them into consideration.

with my FORS CoRe, but my experiences in the NW Oregon coast were quite pleasant. It was about a 5 to 6 hour drive for me at the time, one way, and I am not a big beach hunting fan yet I wanted to give the FORS CoRe a challenge on a coastal salt environment. As I recall, I also ran my Sensitivity at '85' and the GB was between '04' and '18' but that also calls upon my memory. I didn't use the default '40' ID Filter as it was quiet at '36' or so.

I only like the standard 7X11 DD on open areas like the coast and it ran just fine. Last October I moved to the far eastern side of Oregon so the coast is off my 'go-to' list. However, sometime this coming spring or summer I do plan to work the FORS CoRe, along with my FORS Gold+ and Makro Gold Racer, at a couple of places at a very challenging inland salt site to see how they perform. Just might get lucky and snag a gold ring or two!

Best of success on your future hunts with the Coin & Relic. I know I am going to enjoy more hunting this year, and the bulk of my CoRe's use is going to be working the smaller 'OOR' coil in some very dense iron littered old sites where I generally search ... with no salt added. :)

Monte

That small coil is next on my list of acquisitions. The parks around here are very trashy and from everything I have read so far, the little coil should make life easier there. I used the stock coil on the beach, and as I said, it performed well. I live about 90 minutes from the beach, so I have it a bit easier than you, Monte. Still, I don't get over there nearly as much as I would like. The beaches have been heavily sanded in all summer but look as though most of that sand has been stripped off. Almost all the coins I found were medium to heavily corroded, so I am really looking forward to getting back and using my PI detector. The Fors CoReperformed very well but I expect the PI will do better. I will take both detectors to see how they compare. Apples and oranges, yes, but I am curious.

And I will add that the Nokta FORS CoRe, as well as the FORS Gold and Gold+, are absolutely impressive in dense trash [size=small](especially iron junk)[/size] with their respective smaller coil. As I stated, because I spend the bulk of my detecting time in old town sites, homesteads, encampment sites [size=small](pioneer and military)[/size], logging and mining camps, etc., I need the best detector/coil set-up for , At most of them, the amount of nails and other iron-based trash is so dense, most detectors fail to perform even half-decent.

Some of the best performance I have regularly achieved in these ferrous littered sites since the summer of '83 has been with a Tesoro using a smaller-size Concentric coil. My three main-use Tesoro's are each equipped with their own 6" Concentric coil. I have used many makes and models with an assortment of factory and after-market coils to try and rival Tesoro performance, and most fail. Some can do pretty fair. But nothing comes closer in all-around performance than my Nokta FORS CoRe w/the 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] 'OOR' DD coil, the FORS Gold+ with 5" round DD coil, and Makro Racer the same-size [size=small]'OOR'[/size] coil.

There are some other makes and models on the market that do 'OK' with their 5" DD coils, but they still fall short of the performance I get from my Nokta FORS CoRe and others I mentioned.

Monte