Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Fors Gold + concentric coil testing on nail board

https://youtu.be/2PsCyfTH9tE

Testing out the new fors gold + 5x10 concentric coil.
The concentric does twice as good as the 5x10 DD

Unfortunately,if the coin was under the soil mixed in with the nails exactly as it was in your test,the detector would probably have never seen it at all.Its ok doing these sorts of tests on the surface with nails that have'nt been in the ground for years if you want a totally innacurate result.....if you want an accurate idea of how your detector performs,you have to test it in real conditions.
I've said it hundreds of times on different forums,these types of test are useless to say the least unless the targets you are looking for are lying on the surface.There are loads of detectors on the market that would easily pass this test and most would produce totally different results on a true target mixed in with nails that had been buried for years.

Kickindirt said:
Testing out the new fors gold + 5x10 concentric coil.
The concentric does twice as good as the 5x10 DD
Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I've been trying to keep busy, either detecting or working on research for the two 'Welcome-to-Hunt Outings' planned for this year. I hope weather continues to improve for everyone so we can get out more, and I wish you the best of success on searches you make now, to get experience with an excellent Relic Hunting outfit. You should be comfortable with the FORS Gold Plus by the time our 3rd WTHO starts on May 19th.

I see you have the 5½X10 Concentric as well as the Double-D coil of the same size, and I like them both. You should also have the round 5" DD that is part of the FORS Gold Plus package. That is the coil I will use most often on my Gold+ when we work sites with similar highly iron littered areas like the three towns we hunted last year.

I wasn't able to see just how close you were to the Nail Board on your testing, so I will remind readers and viewers that most modern detectors are usually explained in the User's Manual to be operated close to, but not on, the ground, and by "close to" they usually suggest something like ±2". If you get too close, you can get some back-reading and hamper a good clean signal.

I don't know if you have tried the 5" DD on the NBPT yet, and if I recall, you mentioned before you preferred 'coverage' and were not too excited about smaller size coils. But if you haven't tried working the 5" DD, you ought to give it a go and I think you will see how impressively it will perform. I have the 5½X10 Concentric mounted on my FORS Gold + currently, and my extra coils are on their own lower rods for quick changes afield. I do like the elliptical coils for a little better coverage in more open, lower-trash areas, but quickly opt for the 5" DD when it gets very challenging.

I also work each detector just a little differently based upon the mode design, the features, and the site conditions. For example, on the FORS Gold+, like the FORS CoRe, the Iron/Non-Iron 'Tone Break' is a fixed setting of '40' and I like to hear some iron, such as nails, in an area. They will respond with a non-enhanced Lower-Tone audio [size=small](if you use a Tone setting of 1, 2, 3 or 5))[/size] , and a Higher-Tone, VCO enhanced audio for non-ferrous targets above that setting. With the FORS CoRe and Gold + I like to hunt most places with a Discriminate setting [size=small](ID Mask)[/size] of '10' to hear most iron trash. That lets me know iron is present and I can methodically work the coil around the iron trash in the hope of unmasking a near-by desired target.

If the iron nails get to be too dense and too annoying to listen to, I use NO MORE than barely enough rejection to just eliminate most of them, and that is an ID Mask setting of '21.' Using higher Discrimination or sweeping a coil too quickly or using a larger-size search coil you will find that dense iron debris can impair good searching performance. Therefore, I use the lowest rejection I can tolerate, with the coil slowly and methodically in and around any area and any targets, and recover all good and 'iffy' signals.

If you have any questions about using your new-to-you FORS Gold Plus, feel welcome to shoot me an e-mail. monte@stinkwaterwells.com

Also, I will send out an e-mail by the end-of-the-month to everyone on the WTHO Contact List about our May Outing, and I will shoot you an e-mail this weekend to discuss some sites and potential sites you might be familiar with. The 3rd WTHO is going to be in Nevada, again, I know, but working different locations.

I guess I ought to send a *** WARNING *** out to the 64+ people on the mailing list that the number of participants using a top-performing Makro or Nokta product is growing. :beers:

Monte

Nauti Neil actually the nails in the test are all dug from a old hotel site that I was built in 1876 and burned down a few yrs later. Old square nails. Machine was properly ground balanced. I believe this to be one of the most basic fair ways to test machines. Yes will always be different conditions site to site. U gotta admit the Monte nail board test is one of the most basic, fair test out. Thanks for watching