Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

FoRse Core

The fors Core pretty much does everything good. It truly is my favorite detector of all the many I have owned.

it's name implies: CoRe is for Coin Hunting and Relic Hunting.

Oakman404 said:
Is the FoRs CoRe good for coin hunting?
I was very curious how the FORS CoRe might perform and if it would make a good 'fit' in my personal arsenal. I got one in-hand in January of last year and it immediately surpassed all of my Target ID and Tone ID detectors for BOTH urban Coin Hunting as well as all the Relic Hunting I most enjoy doing.

I also note in your signature that unless you haven't updated it in recent years [size=small](your registered on Findmall the end of December 8 years ago)[/size], you are using a GTP-1350 that is pretty much outdated in features and especially performance. I had owned the GTAx-1250 and bought th4 GTP-1350 when it was released to see if there were any changes or improvements in performance that might please me, but there weren't. I always have more than one detector in my working detector battery, usually several, and the GTP-1350 was a good concept is some ways and had some strong points in design and packaging,

The problem was it feel very short of performance for me for Relic Hunting, especially in very dense iron littered sites. It was best designed for the Coin Hunting category, and there it could work OK for many people, but the delayed response and some other limitations left me relying more on my non-display Tesoro's or White's XLT and XL Pro detectors. I soon let the GTP-1350 go because "all-purpose" performance just wasn't there, and that included coin depth in the highly mineralized soil I most often encounter.

Fast forward to these more modern era detectors - - - - Times have changed! I still have my two favorite Tesoro models on-hand, but I trimmed out almost everything else since January of 2015. Along with parting with my XL Pro, 5900 Di Pro SL, last XLT, M6, G2 and a few others. I was down to using my White's MXT All-Pro for my primary general-purpose detector, mainly for Relic Hunting, and their MX5 and a Teknetics Omega 8000 for most of my day-to-day in-town Coin Hunting, with the Omega 8000 being my favorite for going after coins.

Then came the FORS CoRe and it quickly out-classed/out-performed, my MXT All-Pro, and was better balanced as well, so I benefited from comfort, performance, and more useful adjustment features. Not only did the CoRe become my #1 unit in my personal detector battery, but it went beyond being a great Relic Hunting unit to also giving me great performance for Coin Hunting. All my other detectors dropped to a #2 ranking or were getting prepared to find a new home when the next month I got the Makro Racer. That nudged the other TID/Tone ID models out. I sold them all off and kept the favorite Tesoro's, the 'original' Racer and my favorite of them all, the FORS CoRe.

I have used it for fresh water and salt water beach hunting, in grassy sports fields, yards and parks, bare dirt ball fields and plowed areas, and about any type of Coin Hunting environment you can imagine, and it is a terrific detector. The FORS Relic is now my #1 all-purpose detector, especially for Relic Hunting and/or working any site with a dense amount of iron nails or other ferrous debris. I can listen to all iron targets, but reduce the Volume loudness so they are not overly annoying. Grate for Relic Huntuing where unmasking is very important.

That said, when I am Coin Hunting all the traditional sites around most cities and towns, I use just enough Discrimination to just barely reject iron nails. With nails eliminated, and them being the biggest iron trash encountered in most Coin Hunting locations, I don't need the Iron Audio Volume of the FORS Relic. I grab my FORS CoRe instead for most average sites because it works quite well, provides me with a quick response and fast recovery, hunts in and around trash quite well ... and ... I seem to get just a tiny bit better depth on higher-conductive coins with it than I do my FORS Relic's.

So, sorry to ramble, but you didn't ask for specific performance, just an opinionated yes or no for Coin Hunting. You've listed an older model that, I can guarantee you, will never match the performance you'll get from a FORS CoRe. Give it serious consideration because they work very well. When I load detectors in my pick-up from home, the 1st detector on the back seat ifs my FORS CoRe, followed by a couple of FORS Relic's and then a Makro Racer 2. I don't travel w/o the CoRe.

Monte